Battery question?

I have had 7 bikes in the last 4 years (3 of the GS1200's).
All mu bikes live outside under a cover as I have no garage!
I have NEVER used a charger of any sort and I have NEVER had a flat battery!
In winter I only ride at weekends but when I do ride it is at the absolute minimum of 40 miles..Usually over 100 !

My last bike (Suzuki GSX1400 was on its original battery and that was 14 years old!!
It was a yuasa.

So like Autogs and AberdeenAngus i have never had the need for a charger/tender.

The Odyssey battery that fits the hexheads will fit the later LC models

Early LC models - battery requires a few ribs trimming

Later LC models - upper battery tray requires removal & battery fin trimming

Replaced the battery with new Yuasa. New one is showing 12.9v

I put the old one on charge and charged to 12.9v. I left the old battery disconnected for 24hrs and it now shows 12.8v? I was expecting it to drop.

The new one on the bike still shows 12.86v Also after 24hrs no loss of charge?

So why when the old one was on the bike and left for 8hrs did it routinely drop to 11.6v?? However the new one doesn’t ?

If that makes sense?

Because the old battery is knackered. The voltages you've quoted are about right, but it has lost lots of its capacity.
Nothing unusual here!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not a 1200 but my F650gs went through 3 Batteries in 7 years. My 2016 F700GS is showing low battery. I charge the bike about every month using a. Optimate for 24 hrs.

Ignore the I ran my bike for 50 years and it never needed a battery comments, these BM’s have immobilisers and other kit that just draw juice and buggers up batteries.

Steve

Not a 1200 but my F650gs went through 3 Batteries in 7 years. My 2016 F700GS is showing low battery. I charge the bike about every month using a. Optimate for 24 hrs.

Ignore the I ran my bike for 50 years and it never needed a battery comments, these BM’s have immobilisers and other kit that just draw juice and buggers up batteries.

Steve

Yet still I have no battery charger connected..
This is my 4th BM and none have ever been on a charger!
Plus mine have all lived outside under a cover and not in a garage heated or otherwise!

If the bike is used regularly you dont need a battery charger..

The exception to that rule is if you have a third party alarm fitted (which I always have removed at the time of purchase).

On the subject of third party alarms I once bought a very late Honda CB1300 which had a fancy alarm fitted..
As I agreed to purchase the bike (from a main Honda dealer) I asked that the alarm was removed and the back put back to standard (Factory immobiliser).
The dealer said "Oooh it will affect your insurance" I still asked for it to be removed.
Later that day when I got home I thought I would contact my insurer and tell him what I had asked to be done..

He said "The quote for the standard bike with no mods or added alarms was (at that time) £270... With the added alarm £258 !!
So in other words it made £12 of difference!

A couple of guys I know work for the RAC and the AA..
They both have said that the most common call out they get in relation to Bikes is due to either alarms malfunctioning or Alarms causing flat batteries.

Thats why I never have third party alarms fitted, which in turn is why I have never needed a Battery charger !

Yet still I have no battery charger connected..
This is my 4th BM and none have ever been on a charger!
Plus mine have all lived outside under a cover and not in a garage heated or otherwise!

If the bike is used regularly you dont need a battery charger..

The exception to that rule is if you have a third party alarm fitted (which I always have removed at the time of purchase).

On the subject of third party alarms I once bought a very late Honda CB1300 which had a fancy alarm fitted..
As I agreed to purchase the bike (from a main Honda dealer) I asked that the alarm was removed and the back put back to standard (Factory immobiliser).
The dealer said "Oooh it will affect your insurance" I still asked for it to be removed.
Later that day when I got home I thought I would contact my insurer and tell him what I had asked to be done..

He said "The quote for the standard bike with no mods or added alarms was (at that time) £270... With the added alarm £258 !!
So in other words it made £12 of difference!

A couple of guys I know work for the RAC and the AA..
They both have said that the most common call out they get in relation to Bikes is due to either alarms malfunctioning or Alarms causing flat batteries.

Thats why I never have third party alarms fitted, which in turn is why I have never needed a Battery charger !

Completely agree with this! Nothing but a pain in the arse. I was a bit deflated when I discovered the bike had the bmw alarm having had trouble with them in the past.

I’ve turned the alarm off in the settings via TFT however it’s very likely that although deactivated it’s probably still drawing something from the battery whilst idle??

Maybe someone can confirm this?

Update

After numerous emails to BMW customer services and dealer as well as phone calls and text messages I have finally been paid out for my new battery. They agreed to refund the cost however the process was slow.

Back
Top Bottom