ICELAND 2020 ... the Wet One

The ever changing Covid restrictions had made this year's trips touch and go for many months but after much juggling and several flight changes among us we finally assembled our six KTMs and headed into a different world, even then the restrictions were to tighten again during the following weeks.

20200730_174518-X2.jpg

Jo Narvey showing us his enigmatic smile :)

20200730_180742-01-X2.jpg

Liam and Stu with their very trick 500s

20200730_180748-X2.jpg

And the 640 which was to complete it's 13th trip around Iceland this year, I also did my first trip here on a big GS.

20200730_180924-X2.jpg

20200730_180829-X2.jpg

Bakerman left, who had somehow been able to blag a new battery for his 525 in a small town.....

20200730_180835-X2.jpg

Reports of high river levels in the south meant we needed options so we took a rough camp so we could check them out the following morning.

20200730_204413-X2.jpg

20200730_204430-X2.jpg

20200730_205855-01-X2.jpg

Great photos, must do this trip.

Tim, what tyres are you using on the 640?

My tyre choice would be different from most as I covered 3,650 miles and needed a tyre to last more than twice as long as anyone else. The Highlands abrasive volcanic sand will eat rear tyres when riding at a good pace. I've previously wrecked a Michelin Desert in a week there.

Pirelli Scorpion Rally F
MotoZ Desert R

Often I'll use an E09 or D908 rear sometimes a C17 front.

We checked out the rivers next morning in rain and very strong winds, the first crossing was doable but I knew the second would be worse so we had to retrace our route and back to some tarmac for a while.

Winds were dangerously strong so took a trail to the only sheltered camp I could think of in this area.

20200731_115606-01-X2.jpg

I guess David gets a few more volts into his phone ;)

20200731_115612-X2.jpg

At least here there was a cave to take shelter in and with hindsight I should have slept in there.

20200731_172909-X2.jpg

I found some beer left behind

20200731_175318-01-XL.jpg

The wind and rain were relentless, the other's opted to rent cabins but I've stayed in them previously with my wife and know they're expensive

20200731_175610-X2.jpg

During the night the wind and rain battered the tent from all directions .... oh why didn't I either take David's offer up to sleep on their cabin floor or at least I could have stayed in the cave.
:blast

20200801_072117-XL.jpg

Great report . Keep it coming

Have you bumped in to Itchy Boots ?

Thanks Tim, just wondered about your tyre choice with the different terrain types you ride.

Thanks Tim, just wondered about your tyre choice with the different terrain types you ride.

My tyre choice would be different from most as I covered 3,650 miles and needed a tyre to last more than twice as long as anyone else. The Highlands abrasive volcanic sand will eat rear tyres when riding at a good pace. I've previously wrecked a Michelin Desert in a week there.

Pirelli Scorpion Rally F
MotoZ Desert R

Often I'll use an E09 or D908 rear sometimes a C17 front.

I wonder...

I wonder...
]]

I went for Maxxis Enduro Pro front and back on the basis that they should last 1500 miles give or take.

The front held up fairly well, but back was down to more or less slicks after 5 or 6 days.:nenau

Attachments

• Slicks.jpg
    Slicks.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 403
]]

I went for Maxxis Enduro Pro front and back on the basis that they should last 1500 miles give or take.

The front held up fairly well, but back was down to more or less slicks after 5 or 6 days.:nenau

Wow! That’s not great! :eek:

Positively Mediterranean

Some fantastic riding and scenery - especially when you could see more than 20m ahead.

My tricked out 500 EXC did everything asked of it - great bike. Took me a day or two to sort out weight of luggage and come to grips with handling - mind you, still didn't stop me falling off a couple of times.

Attachments

• TrickedOut500.jpg
    TrickedOut500.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 402
Good to know about the tyres Smallfoot, what where they like on road?

I just bought a Giant Loop Coyote bag for my 500 and their Rouge bag to fit on the top for carrying a tent, hopefully will get to use it next year. Also just getting a Nomad Tower fitted to the bike as well.

Good to know about the tyres Smallfoot, what where they like on road?

I just bought a Giant Loop Coyote bag for my 500 and their Rouge bag to fit on the top for carrying a tent, hopefully will get to use it next year. Also just getting a Nomad Tower fitted to the bike as well.

The tyres were simply a bad choice - They have a 'hard compound' I believe, but I ended up with the soft it seems.
I was rushing to get something delivered in a couple of days before having to deliver bikes up to Hull, it wasn't a given that the trip would go ahead and I'd be dangerous if organised. I hopped them on at 2am before dropping off bike. Last-minute.com.

The traction was fantastic for early days - but they did wear down at an alarming rate.
Jon and I were always leaving the group early to get back to work - so no real issue on the trails later on.
They worked a treat on the tar roads, especially as slicks when dry - but scared the sh!t out of me a few times in very windy/wet conditions. I took a tumble in a single track, badly lit tunnel. Following Stu, who was heading for the side after finding an oil slick - he recovered because he's only brilliant - I adjusted slightly so as not to ride over him before he recovered it - next thing I know I'm on my arse and bike facing wrong way. (my gay Rukka gear covered in slick - I'm devastated). Took me 2 attempts to remount as wheels kept slipping away from me when trying to throw leg over it holding the handlebar.

Good luck with the Giant-Loop, the wolfman luggage worked well - Dave kindly gave me a strap that helped keep bag on the weaker side from tilting down over the swing-arm - I'll have to make up some strengthening struts somehow before next trip.

Thanks for the info on the tyres, it’s good to know other riders experiences.

Back
Top Bottom