Dorset and Cornwall o

lockdock

Reaction score
hi, looking to go to Dorset, Devon and Cornwall for 7 to 10 days in next few weeks. Any one recommend b and b's or hotels to stay in. Looking to to stay 2 days in each area of accommodation before moving on.
Also any places of interest to visit whilst there? Never been there before so not sure where to go.
Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Until the schools start back I'd avoid the whole SW, with no-one going abroad it's full. Traffic jams near every decent beach, toilets closed with consequent shit everywhere, pubs have limited hours and require booking in advance ...

All in all I wouldn't bother until mid September.

Cheers Paul, all as I expected really. Looking to go mid September though so hopefully bit quieter and better weather!

I live in Dorset and it is not any busier than normal for this time of year. Just stay away from the coast and there are some really good roads for bikers to be had and plenty of places to visit. Try Stourhead, Salisbury, Fleet air arm museum, Blandford Tank Museum, New Forest etc. Not all in Dorset but a short ride from a Dorset base. Fantastic hills and plenty of bends Dorset is full of them. The ride from Shaftesbury to Ringwood will take your breath away going up zig zag hill which takes a bit of skill.

Derek

The coast road from Abbotsbury to West bay is stunning. Crab sandwiches at Rachel's in West Bay. Park by the harbour, where the council have provided plenty of dedicated motorbike parking. Ride to Charmouth to go fossil hunting. See the Cob at Lyme Regis. Loads of good roads in Dorset, mostly really well surfaced. Enjoy your trip.

Not sure about the shit everywhere, but?

Until the schools start back I'd avoid the whole SW, with no-one going abroad it's full. Traffic jams near every decent beach, toilets closed with consequent shit everywhere, pubs have limited hours and require booking in advance ...

All in all I wouldn't bother until mid September.

I’m not sure I’ve seen shut everywhere and I live here but I would agree about it being absolutely packed. You can still get some accommodation for the odd night or two, I got a night booked for my two sons and I in lands end hotel but it’ cost a fortune. September is definitely a better time to ride around the south west though it’s a beautiful part of the country. Check out Torquay Dartmouth, Blackpool Sands, Slapton Sands, across tor point ferry into Cornwall towards looe and beyond, Cornwall has some breathtaking rides. Stay safe 👍

Everywhere's pretty full here. You might get lucky but the chances are slim. After school holidays might be better. Or go inland.

I live in Cornwall, near Falmouth, and I'd recommend riding around the entire coastline - you're spoiled for choice with beautiful beaches, dramatic cliffs, pretty villages, ruined tin mines, fantastic back roads...The north coast is more dramatic than the south with bigger sandy beaches and bigger seas (which is why surfers love it). The south coast is more sheltered but equally picturesque. Avoid St Ives and Padstow if you don't like crowds, especially if it's sunny and a weekend. We love the beaches at Hayle/Gwithian and Perrenporth for long walks at low tide.
A great ride would be to follow the coast from, say, Falmouth down to Marazion/Penzance/Newlyn/Mousehole/Porthcurno/Sennen Cove then continue around the western tip up to Bottalack/Zennor/St Ives/Hayle/Gwithian/Portreath/Porthtown/St Agnes/Perrenporth etc etc. Land's End is very underwhelming but if you park up and follow the coast path to the left of the hotel the views are stunning.
The Roseland Peninsula is really pretty and fairly quiet. Ride towards Trellisick Gardens (NT) and get the King Harry Ferry across the River Fal with your bike then ride to St Just-in-Roseland (lovely creekside church), St Mawes and Portscaotho. The Hidden Hut by Porthcurick Beach just outside Portscatho is worth a detour (10 minute coastal walk from the carpark) - food is great and you can just turn up at lunchtime, order for food and sit on the grass looking out to sea!
A great way to ride into Cornwall is on the A39 Atlantic Highway from Minehead in Somerset. Popular with bikers as it's a fantastic road with great views. Ride it to Bude then maybe cut inland and ride across Dartmoor - stunning countryside, lovely roads - Tavistock to Princetown, Two Bridges, Dartmeet, Widecombe in the Moor, Haytor etc. The Two Bridges Hotel is a decent place to stop for lunch and even stay over if you fancy it.
From Tavistock on Dartmoor it's about a 2 hour ride to Falmouth in Cornwall and the A30 is a great road these days with some very long and sweeping sections where you can see for miles and open the throttle up (just watch for the speed camera vans!)
I could go on, but I don't think you'll have enough time!

I stayed at 3 Ivy Cross B&B in Shaftesbury a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it’s the best B&B I’ve stayed in in England. Lovely people, lovely rooms and a fantastic breakfast :thumby: I booked after seeing it on one of the Midlife Motorcycle Diaries videos on YouTube.

It’s a great location for exploring the area on quiet backroads e.g. The Tank Museum, Corfe Castle, Haynes International Motor Museum, Salisbury, Sherborne, Wells etc.

Attachments

• 77BFEFD5-1825-4DB9-918A-E6D10328F149.jpg
    77BFEFD5-1825-4DB9-918A-E6D10328F149.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 175
  • D63CEF9E-AE7E-478D-84F4-4365DAE8EBED.jpg
    D63CEF9E-AE7E-478D-84F4-4365DAE8EBED.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 45836810-032C-44BF-ADBF-B5374E74F063.jpg
    45836810-032C-44BF-ADBF-B5374E74F063.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 173
What Sven says is correct and great advice. I live in Shaftesbury and such great biking roads here and relative traffic free. Just as a note, I am in St Ives at the moment and Cornwall is so busy compared to Dorset. Feel free to message me if you want some help Lockdock

Back
Top Bottom