Speedo accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The speedo on my T7 is showing 53mph versus a true speed of 47mph with a similar level of inacuracy at all speeds.
I noticed it as soon as I set off on my first ride. It's very noticeable-- initially I thought it was set for KPH.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?
It's in for its first service soon but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.
Cheers

Yeap! Mine too. I think they all show around 10% more than real speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital is more accurate then analogue

Analogue varies in speed accuracy die to the interaction / tolerances of the various gears parts etc

Digital on the other hand only counts pulses generated from a number of sources, so is less liable to have tolerance variance

10% was given as the approx variance for analogue stuff, so motorists wern't given speeding tickets due to tolerance errors and not the driver

it's still in place today as surprisingly their are a a lot of old analogue speedo's out there

How are you verifying your speed error?

Unless you using calibrated stuff, to do the measurements over accurate timing gates

10% would be about right also

Yes, its like most Hondas I’ve had, they’re about 10% out. using gps isn't 100% accurate, only check it if riding on a flat road, as going up or down a hill will make it even less accurate. There’s a guy on the T7 forum that sells new ABS rings that change the speedo accuracy, but you could end up with a speedo that under reads.

I'm aware speedos in general read a little high, but they do seem to be more accurate in modern vehicles compared to older vehicles.

I've only been able to compare it against those roadside signs that show your speed when entering a village or speed restricted area but I've always found these to give the same speed as a GPS Nav 5 and usually show the same as the calibrated tachograph in my work vehicle.

Regardless of any comparison with calibrated devices, it's really noticeable as soon as the bike starts rolling.
I'm hoping they can tweak it electronically when it's serviced.
Cheers.

Ages ago when I was messing about with gearing I needed to recalibrate the speedo. I found a Yellow Box that did just that. I think they are still available.

I've now fitted a Zumo XT and the difference between the GPS and Speedo is:-

Speedo 80mph 73 on the GPS.
Speedo 57mph 50 on the GPS.
Speedo 35mph 30 on the GPS.

I've now fitted a Zumo XT and the difference between the GPS and Speedo is:-

Speedo 80mph 73 on the GPS.
Speedo 57mph 50 on the GPS.
Speedo 35mph 30 on the GPS.

Unfortuantly non of which are calibrated, so there will be a percentage of error in the speeds
So all your doing is guessing with a bit more accuracy -

If you want to get your accurate speed, there are numerous fixed speed checking stations dotted around your local town ,
i think its about £60 odd for a reading takes about 14 days for the results to come back

If you want to get your speedo checked over a wider range, there are also mobile checking stations available, they are a bit more expensive, but can give you an on the spot reading ( takes about 15 minutes)

They also offer a day with the press and other dignitaries to have your speed validated and published in the local rag

Unfortuantly non of which are calibrated, so there will be a percentage of error in the speeds
So all your doing is guessing with a bit more accuracy -

If you want to get your accurate speed, there are numerous fixed speed checking stations dotted around your local town ,
i think its about £60 odd for a reading takes about 14 days for the results to come back

If you want to get your speedo checked over a wider range, there are also mobile checking stations available, they are a bit more expensive, but can give you an on the spot reading ( takes about 15 minutes)

They also offer a day with the press and other dignitaries to have your speed validated and published in the local rag

Already used them on a previous bike:thumb2.

The lack of calibration is irrelevant when the GPS is working off them there satellites surely.

My 1150 was out by 10% , so was my Guzzi and my Honda is too. Most others have been anywhere between 6-8%.

It peeved me off on the 1150 because the mileage was out by the same amount so every 10,000 I covered the bike added another 1000 on the odometer. Which is a bit of pisser when you are doing that sort of annual mileage.

Electronic speedos now seem to be independent of the mileage covered which I don’t get ? Checking a journey on the nav the Honda odometer seems to be fairly close to the sat nav whereas the speedo is 10% out ::nenau

I’ve just picked up a Golf GTE for work and the speedo is much more accurate then the Mazda I had before which was about 8-9% out and , just like the Mazda , the odo is oddly within 1% of the satnav.

Already used them on a previous bike:thumb2.

The lack of calibration is irrelevant when the GPS is working off them there satellites surely.

Allways a degree of error, either in physical distance ... or error (discrimination) from the hardware .....

Calibration just confirms if your equipment is performing within it's claimed tolerances - based on the GPS signal received

and even then there is error from the user ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom