Loking for 1st Gs r1200 MU v TU or earlier? advice needed

spondonchris

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thankful to be here for some help and advice as I am looking to buy my first touring / adventure bike having ridden sports bikes for as long as I can remember. I still ride the sports bikes but my body now says for less than 200 miles! So I am looking for my first GS with a small budget of around 4000 - 4500 which looking on ebay looks like I will be somewhere between 2006 up to 2010 model GS.

I have been told to avoid pre 2007 bikes as there is an issue with brake servos or ABS? So I am going to try for later but I would like to hear some opinions from you guys.

I believe 2008/2009 is known as MU with different styling? and 2010 is known as TU with a twin cam head? Is this correct?

So any advice on which model year is best? ny things to look out for? To get a TU I would be looking at a high mileage 60k bike. Is this an ok mileage?

Any help appreciated

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I bought a new twin cam GSA in 2011. I had been looking for a used single cam model but when
I tried them back to back, I far preferred the twin cam so I bit the bullet and bought a new one.

I cant really comment on longevity as I only had it 3 years but my TC never missed a beat.

Have since had a 14 plate GSA and after a couple of other marques have just bought a used 2018
GS.

I'm sure if you trawl through this forum you will find info re reliability. My advice is do your research
and test ride an SC and TC back to back before you decide.

As far as sports bikes are concerned, like you I am too old to do long trips on them these days. I traded
a 17 plate ZZR 1400 (sports tourer really) for my GS and don't really miss the 75bhp I have lost. I am off
to Devon tomorrow on the GS, - 230 miles. Wouldn't attempt it on the old Kawasaki!

You are correct with your marks. The 2008 MU has upgrades to the gearbox, final drive and the introduction of ESA suspension and a little more power. Go on condition and servicing rather than mileage. Motor is bullet proof but the final drive isn’t BUT can be reconditioned for about £450 if it goes. Suspension might be getting tired but you can get is refurbished...better than new by Denzo on this forum for about £100 per shock. Only other thing to check is a slipping clutch on high mileage bikes.....6th gear and roll on the throttle.

The TU from 2010 sees twin cam (more power and torque) better smoother gearbox and ESA 2. The TU is better than the only if you ride the TU first. The MU is a great bike and having owned both wasn’t blown away by the TU upgrade....more evolution then leap forward.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom