Hardknott Pass - Cumbria

For info, and making use of retroman’s excellent shot from the Western (Eskdale) end... Circled is the danger zone with 2 tight, steep corners, blind areas ahead of you and potential for meeting oncoming stuff at the worst possible monment (and that applies for both directions of travel).

Attachments

• C57E6956-59C1-4B78-BF91-2784D270CA8F.jpg
    C57E6956-59C1-4B78-BF91-2784D270CA8F.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 256
Top Pass Uk style.
As with all riding - especialy on tight passes and trails just use observation - like further than the next 10yds.
There are "passing places" that are almost like ledges but they offer a space to dip onto as you go either up or down.
Dont get right up the arse of anything and if you have to stop on the upslope dont just expect yer front brake to hold you and the missis from sliding backwards.
I did that first time on me old Transalp in early 90s I think- only remembered the clutch after I had slid a few feet backwards.
= Got a bollockin at the top :thumby:

For info, and making use of retroman’s excellent shot from the Western (Eskdale) end... Circled is the danger zone with 2 tight, steep corners, blind areas ahead of you and potential for meeting oncoming stuff at the worst possible monment (and that applies for both directions of travel).

I stopped on the 'tight bend' to take a photo....

Attachments

• DSC_5199.jpg
    DSC_5199.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 264
The conclusion I drew .... this would be a great Pass to ride if there was no risk of meeting oncoming traffic at an inconvenient location!! The worry of that distracts from the enjoyment of actually riding it.

The conclusion I drew .... this would be a great Pass to ride if there was no risk of meeting oncoming traffic at an inconvenient location!! The worry of that distracts from the enjoyment of actually riding it.

But there's a good view ahead and passing places

We did it 2 years ago on sports mopeds,

Mine cut out on one of the steep bits, and my son ran off the road on his trying to avoid the stopped me,

He landed in some bushes, and we had to climb down and recover him and the bike, all six of us, he was ok though,

We got going and continued on, and I was laughing all the way to the main road.

This thread is hilarious.

But, not to self, gotta go check the area. Scenery looks beautiful.

Hardknott and Rynose passes had me stood on the pegs with my chest on the screen at times. Very challenging indeed and requiring commitment.

The key to these roads is forward planning and observation. Kirkstone Pass/The Struggle are much more fun.

I was there 2 weeks ago in the car and the surface was fine.

Was anyone calm enough once the palpitations ceased to visit the Roman fort, short stroll from the road, the pass in its day was an important one.

Attachments

• 662E1454-F0D0-4248-9833-378F8BB17CB6.jpg
    662E1454-F0D0-4248-9833-378F8BB17CB6.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 240
Was anyone calm enough once the palpitations ceased to visit the Roman fort, short stroll from the road, the pass in its day was an important one.

What a grim posting THAT must have been! From the olive groves of Italy to the arse-end of Cumbria in winter ....

Yep visited it a couple of times, and each time I had a whole roman fort to myself. Great place to visit and great views it must of been a hard place to live back in the day, getting your chariot over the nightmare pass and such like!

Hardknott and Rynose passes had me stood on the pegs with my chest on the screen at times. Very challenging indeed and requiring commitment.

The key to these roads is forward planning and observation.

...it’s Wrynose

And can peeps please think before posting - This section can be seen by anyone and you are representing UKGSers :D

Chest on the Screen FFS!

It would be worth a :bow if you’d described belting up there, purposely nipping the corners tight to get the maximum gradient for the sheer hell of it but sadly your post goes on to suggest that’s not the case.

It’s just a tarmac road that goes over a hill, past over every day by many in and on all sorts of vehicles - No specific preparation required, especially not camping at its base waiting for a clear run up and over. It’s not friggin Everest!

The view from the top.

Snap!

The road does get quite a bit steeper through the next few bends which are tight. The wife and I did it two up several times with camping gear strapped on. We stopped at the Roman fort once on the way over, grim spot! Other obligatory photo taken at the Boot end, stayed at the Boot campsite, excellent shower block.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 223
Been over several times in cars, usually my classic Land Rover, which I enjoy. Typically going on hillwalking trips (my GF and I are "doing" the Wainwrights).
There's a lot of idiots in cars who don't know how to use the passing places, or how to drive on a road like this (I was in North Scotland last week and witnessed the same crap driving on single-track roads). Last winter I had a bit of an altercation with a car hogging the road (Hard Knott Pass) with full beam and fog lights on (at night in the wet) which meant I just could not see the tarmac around him (road angle also meant all his lights were pointing right at my eyes). He was just too nervous to understand or comprehend what he was doing.
I don't find it that enjoyable on a bike, not because it scares me but I just prefer nice open sweepers on my tarmac (i.e. the A6 from Kendal to Shap)! Two-up it is a bit intimidating on the steepest bits, dodging sheep, slippery sheep poo and crap drivers! As said before...try not to focus on the tarmac immediately in front of you (easy to do), but look ahead and plan your lines...

Just for a bit of perspective I once led a big ride out of 40 or so bikes, a lot two up, and a wide range of abilities and experience including a couple of 125s on L plates (we were on our way to camp on Piel Island and had to travel in a group) over the pass out of Langdale, Wrynose pass and Hardknott pass. Guess what, nobody fell off, dropped their bike, overheated their clutch, rode off the road or anything dramatic on the passes. Everyone enjoyed it and nobody thought it excessively challenging. The bikes were mostly Honda Africa Twins though, so maybe the issue is the bike 🤷*♂️

Mind we did have about half a dozen people throwing themselves at the mud and sand on the way over to Piel Island. 😄

Back
Top Bottom