NC 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

fair1535

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good Morning.

As a last minute trip and part of my 60th looking to do an anti clockwise run based on NC 500 from 21 Sept - 24th Sept with 7 riders. Very little time to plan and would like to take advantage of a route taking in a variety of some of the must see/stop over sights. Travelling up from South York to Inverness on the 21st and would like a recommendation/recommendations for any B&Bs/Hotels in or around Inverness. Thereafter open to the wealth of knowledge/experience on this site for the routes/hotels/B & Bs/ hostel. Looking at 3 overnighter. Mon Inverness, Tues mid route and Weds Inverness. If anyone has any saved files for Nav 5s that would be a bonus. My email is

fair1535@hotmail.com

I use WhatsApp and can Pm anyone my number.

Thank you in anticipation

Steve.

Have a look on the thread Motorcyclist Guide to Scotland which is in the same section as your post, most if not all you’re looking for is on it, including the gpx routes for the full NC500

Will do, thank you Sir. As an addendum we like full days in the saddle so mileage not an issue on the Tues and Weds.. :okay

looks like everywhere sold out of The motorcyclists Guide to Scotland...

I booked up a week in Scotland the other day, not on NC500 route at all. Very little availability on booking.com AirBnB and the others anywhere. Best bet was either google maps to find the smaller places not directly on the main routes and phone them, or the bigger hotels and chains in places like Strathpeffer - Ben Wyvis hotel there had plenty of big B&B room for £65. Sadly I had to cancel it all earlier today.
You will struggle to find anywhere that can take 8 people

I booked Premier Inn Inverness West for a stay in July https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/ho...&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&BRAND=PI

Couldn't go (quarantine following Spain visit) but mates did. Said was good, would book again. Currently £76 Twin 3 day cancellable) & they have 4 twins for 24/9 at the mo'.

Given lack of availability on Booking you're probably best with a large hotel. I would book NOW to ensure your space,
You can always cancel (up to 3 days prior) if you find somewhere better

Steve, peak visiting time when most of the country are doing staycations make it a bit of a big ask for 7 riders (all blokes or couples ?).......by far the easiest thing to do for planning is to go onto Booking.com starting at Inverness. Loads of parameters to play with and a 20 sec search finds 82 premises with space for 7 in 4 rooms. It may be somewhat harder on the rest of the route so you may well have to split in to 2 or 3 premises. Do a map search and as you scroll round the NC500 route available places will appear on the map. Dead simple to do.
Alternatively (and what I'd be looking at doing) is to find one rental property just North of Inverness to use as a base and do 2 big days riding (300mile plus) taking in two halves of the route. There are a few detached houses available just on booking (airbnb and other holiday cottage places will have more)

... Inverness West Hotel Premier Inn booked for the 21st.and 23rd. Thanks for the heads up on that. Looking possible Kyle of Tongue Hostel for 23rd, anyone stayed?

If you are looking at an overnight at Ullapool - try Caledonian Hotel. Book early, but it is central, cheap (compared to other hotels) and is clean with big car park round the back.

... Inverness West Hotel Premier Inn booked for the 21st.and 23rd. Thanks for the heads up on that. Looking possible Kyle of Tongue Hostel for 23rd, anyone stayed?

Presume you mean the 22nd.....DO NOT book it for the 23rd....:D

Good spot, yes booked 21 and 23 Inverness, 22nd looking Tongue or any other.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago, its was really busy, makes the single track roads a pain in the arse !

I think the time is a little tight and if you go anti clockwise then stay at the Kyle of Tongue then you're going to rush the west coast. I would go clockwise then if time gets tight on the 23rd. you could miss J.O.G. and drop down through Lairg or the Achentoul road

Thanks for that. You are bang on about accommodation, all booked up. So the 22nd is a tent job at Kyle of Tongue. Will probably get an early start if we do go anticlockwise. Main concern was the Digs, that's sorted so can concentrate on the route now. I've noted your response Tracey, thank you. ��

Ride anywhere else Except anything labelled fuckin’ NC500.

The world’s gone mad.

With or without The Book (which is great), there are hundreds of good roads. The fun starts immediately above that wee wall Hadrian and his boys knocked up a while ago.

Just turn left or right. Then do it again. And again. And again............

Cross your fingers for some weather, but I fear we used up our good weather ration a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom