Wales & Cornwall

grez

Reaction score
Thinking of a ride down from Manchester into North Wales then on to Penzance (possible coast roads). I know there are some great roads in North Wales through the mountains and past some spectacular dams. Looking for some suggestions from the ladies and gentlemen here.

I am planning on taking around a week or so to do it.

North Somerset from Minehead, lovely bit of road and view dropping into Lynemouth & Lynton via porlock, then carry on the coast road through Ifracombe, woolacmbe, Westward Ho, Appledore, Bude & into Cornwall and you have Boscastle, Padstow, Port Isaac, StAgnes, St Ives and more( prob not in the right order) but all worth a stop.

Al.

P.S it’s busy.

North Somerset from Minehead, lovely bit of road and view dropping into Lynemouth & Lynton via porlock, then carry on the coast road through Ifracombe, woolacmbe, Westward Ho, Appledore, Bude & into Cornwall and you have Boscastle, Padstow, Port Isaac, StAgnes, St Ives and more( prob not in the right order) but all worth a stop.

Al.

P.S it’s busy.

Cheers, roughly along the lines I was planning but at least now I know places to stop. Forgot all about Westward Ho, went there as a kid will be nice to go back.

If I get the time off it will be around last week September/first week October so hopefully not to busy.

For Wales, this time of the year, I would head to Bala. Then down to Dolgellau and head south on the coast road to New Quay. Just south of New Quay, head towards Llandovery and then the Top Gear road A4069. From there, make your way across country to Abergavenny, Gloucester and out of Wales.

For Wales, this time of the year, I would head to Bala. Then down to Dolgellau and head south on the coast road to New Quay. Just south of New Quay, head towards Llandovery and then the Top Gear road A4069. From there, make your way across country to Abergavenny, Gloucester and out of Wales.

Abergavenny, Usk, Chepstow is a better road, then over the Severn Bridge

Aberaeron is a nice place to stop on the coastal road for lunch or overnight. Head for the harbour which has a decent chip shop and a few restaurants. Monachty Arms Hotel run by Brains Brewery if you want B&B.

The best roads are in Mid Wales in my view, in the Cambrian Mountains and Brecon Beacons. Main roads like the A44, A470 & A40 are scenic but can get busy. Loads of B roads and single tracks as alternatives.

In my opinion the coast road is a waste as said if you want it interesting through the Cambrians you wont go far wrong by basing a route reservoir to reservoir, If you want coastal riding go to Pembrokeshire perhaps off your route. What type of roads are your preference A,B, single track, Dirty grassy

From Llangollen in North Wales take the Horseshoe Pass north.

The head to Betws-y-coed-Capel Gurig - Bethesda then cut across to Llanrug and take the road through Llanberris (A4086) this is a great road past Snowdon.

Then take the A498 to Bedgelert

Head South however you like to Dolgellau (either direct or follow the coastline if you have time) then on to Aberystwyth, again if you have the time take the coastal road.

The head along the A44 - if you have time go to Netwton and take the A486 to Crossgates, if not go straight to crossgates.

Head south from here to Brecon (Choice of decent A or B Roads)

Head to Abbergavenny, then take the B road to Monmouth (B4233)

Take A466 from Monmouth to Chepstow.

From here I would just bomb down the M5 to Bridgewater and then pickup the A39 Coast road.

From Llangollen in North Wales take the Horseshoe Pass north.

The head to Betws-y-coed-Capel Gurig - Bethesda then cut across to Llanrug and take the road through Llanberris (A4086) this is a great road past Snowdon.

Then take the A498 to Bedgelert

Head South however you like to Dolgellau (either direct or follow the coastline if you have time) then on to Aberystwyth, again if you have the time take the coastal road.

The head along the A44 - if you have time go to Netwton and take the A486 to Crossgates, if not go straight to crossgates.

Head south from here to Brecon (Choice of decent A or B Roads)

Head to Abbergavenny, then take the B road to Monmouth (B4233)

Take A466 from Monmouth to Chepstow.

From here I would just bomb down the M5 to Bridgewater and then pickup the A39 Coast road.

A466 from Monmouth to Chepstow has become tiresome with speed limits, traffic and road works. My advice is to take the B4293 road over Trellech - some great views back towards the Brecon Beacons between Trellech and Devauden. Take the little road from Devauden via Kilgwrrwg Common for views north & south, Brecon Beacons one side and Severn Estuary & Cotswolds the other. https://goo.gl/maps/bHidTMaMX7zxK92Q7 - just follow the road through stopping to gawp at the views then drop down onto the B road near Shirenewton and into Chepstow.

pick up the A39 at Glastonbury or Bridgwater, follow it all around the north coast - lovely road to meander along.

I've just done a few days lands end to Llandudno and used a route I'd be happy to recommend. Do you use satnav with gpx files?
44fa8b7926cafebc6d85839eb1cb82f7.jpg

I've just done a few days lands end to Llandudno and used a route I'd be happy to recommend. Do you use satnav with gpx files?
44fa8b7926cafebc6d85839eb1cb82f7.jpg

Hi, yes I do but it still doesn't stop me getting lost (once headed for Bulgaria and ended up at the bottom of Albania).

If you could post a link to the file that would be great.

Cheers.

I've added the Wales element of the route. This was heading South to North and was made up of a couple of ABR discovery routes which I adapted.

Attachments

• Wales.zip
    92.9 KB · Views: 64

Back
Top Bottom