GARMIN EXPRESS WON'T LAUNCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordyman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had problems with my NAV6 this week. On a ride my satnav seemed to be having some sort of fit. It was scrolling and then started zooming in and out and then zooming right in to maximum and remaining on maximum. The touch screen was not responding. It then kept flashing up different way points. I disconnected it switched off and restarted. On turning back on I could get it to work normally again. But alas as soon as I set off the thing went into fit mode again.

On returning home I decided best thing to do would be to go into Garmin Express and check for software updates etc. Clean screen and see if that does the trick. .............

............and so begins my Garmin Express woes. For some reason it will not launch. Every time I click open nothing happens. It has been ok up until now. I have tried everything I can think of but still no launch. In the end I decided to uninstal Garmin Express and then restart the computer. I then done a fresh download of Garmin Express. It downloaded with no problems. Great methinks but when I clicked launch feck! the same thing has happened ie no launch.

I have systematically gone through the trouble shooting guide that is on the Garmin website (permissions/ administrator etc) there were five steps I think and I have done them all, but still the damn thing will not launch.
I have gone through the whole process above three times but still it will not launch.

My computer is running on windows 7. Is this the problem? Do I really need to buy a new computer with windows 10? It seems an expensive solution as other than Garmin Express my computer is working fine. Also I had no problems using Garmin Express about a month ago when I updated my maps. It was only this week when I had problems with my Nav6 which caused me to open Garmin Express that my problems started.

So after a couple of very frustrating days I am now at the :nenau stage

Any help and advice for resolving Garmin Express will be much appreciated. As for my Nav6 I am hoping that I can sort that myself once I can launch Garmin Express (my firmware on my Nav6 is 5.8 by the way).

Here's hoping that a solution will come from you that will not involve a new computer. Cheers.:thumb2

I’m not an IT expert, but I think Windows 7 is your problem with GE. Regarding your Nav6 I’d try removing the battery, and then restart. It might fix it, it might not, but worth a try.

Good luck

I've recently updated Garmin Express on three computers (all under Windows 10) and all three were temperamental about restarting after the update. In principle, upgrading to Windows 10 is straightforward and, as far as I'm aware, still free. Take a look at https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/ for suggestions. I'd be reluctant to let a version of Windows that's no longer supported anywhere near the Internet.

Ignoring the PC problem with Garmin Express for a moment, it sounds like the Nav 6 problem could well be the infamous "ghost touch". Do a bit of Googling for it and you should come across plenty of examples. The only real solution is to replace the Nav 6. I have just had to do that with mine, and it took Garmin a few weeks to reply in the beginning but then their first reply was to say send it in and they'll check and replace it, which they did.

Thanks for your replies.

I have managed to access Express on my lap top, which is also Windows 7 and it seems to work ok. So I checked properties on Express on lap top and set all settings on my desk top to the same as those on lap top. Alas it still will not launch. So must be something to do with my desk top. I have defragged, compressed etc which took main computer 8 hours and freed up about 25% of space press but again Express still refuses to launch. I am not sure what else I can do now other than to keep using lap top instead which is a pain but will have to do.

Ref ghosting etc on Nav6 I did check out Google for ideas before posting here. One is to simply clean the screen as apparently unseen grease marks etc can cause nav to respond to what it identifies as screen touches. So I have done all these including the battery remove and reconnect. I am not with my bike at the moment so as soon as I get home (Tuesday) I will check to see if these 'fixes' have worked for my Nav6.

Here's hoping :thumb2

Finally able to check if sat navigation fixes worked. Pleased to say that they have. Nav fully functional once again. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom