Harley curious

Reckon HD have done a good job of the Sport Glide, the QD stuff ( Quick Disconnect) works well and the panniers and batwing are off in seconds...I ride an EVO but have ridden Twin Cams and M8’ think

EVO = Airhead
TC = 1150/1200 Hex
M8 = 1200 LC

The softail range are a modular series with a new gen frame and mono shock - The touring bikes are twin shock and have a frame last updated about ten years back - Touring bikes are heavier and longer etc - the softail range merged the old Dyna Range and the old Softail range into a common platform.

Various rubber mount/balancer options are in play....

The touring platform goes from a road king to a road glide with varying levels of tat bolted on....

One question..... do you tour two up? If so you may find the physical dimensions of the softail a bit limiting....Check this out...

Also, depending on budget you can change pretty much every element of the ergonomics......... the after market stuff is immense......you can really plug and play at every angle

I’ve said it loads,,,. When you buy a Harley you will either have one for 6 months or for ever.... once under your skin you cannot get them out.

Thanks for that explanation - very useful. I tour one up but usually with a fair bit of camping equipment.

They dropped a bollock with the new Softail range.

The frame feels a bit cramped for anyone over 6 foot tall. :(

possibly this is true I'm 5'11 and 12 1/2 stone now , my new 114 heritage is great fit for me .

OInfRTu.jpg

Wasting your time, these people are just so important that they will never have time to test ride a bike, they just want the lifestyle, they skim through life never having truly submerged themselves into something truly real.....But we are all real and we should appreciate each others differences in all ways that we can.
However, this is a Harley, so he can Fuck off.

No idea what you’re talking about. Not test riding bikes has nothing to do with wanting a ‘lifestyle’ or being too busy. Quite the opposite actually. I don't believe you can truly understand if you like a bike in an hour or even a days test ride. I get that if you took one for a long holiday in the states you’d get a decent feel for it, but I don’t have that luxury.

I used to test ride bikes all the time many years ago. Looking back now that was also the period I used to constantly change them. I remember test riding a Blackbird and thinking it was utterly amazing so bought it, only to be utterly bored with it 6 weeks later. Whereas the first GS I had I probably wouldn’t have bought if I’d tested it as it was pretty underwhelming on first ride, especially coming from a GSXR1000. Then after a few months and a Euro tour I loved it and kept it 8 years. Test riding a bike is the equivalent or marrying a woman after a first date - it’s probably not going to be all that representative of married life!

I spent a lot more on my house and I didn’t test that either - didn’t ask to spend the night to get a feel for it, or rent one down the street so I could test the area before putting an offer in.

Basically I just fancy having a totally different riding experience for a few years. It’s only a bike - I’m not planning on joining a chapter!

All that said, I do appreciate the advice, and maybe a Harley really is that different to every other bike so I may well try both a Road King and Sport Glide.

So, I’ve always secretly like Harleys, and after having a GS for 8 years now I fancy a total change. I’m finding the Harley model names / platforms totally confusing though.

I’m looking for a bike that can cover some pleasant bimbling around the Yorkshire Dales, popping into town / commuting but also some long tours to Scotland / Europe. As much as I like the look of the massive all out tourers, as an only bike (apart from my track bike) I can’t see them being convenient for commuting and shorter rides.

I really like the look of the Sport Glides. The modular approach looks closest to that ‘all rounder’ appeal of the GS. I was looking at this one earlier which looks great (I’m bored of black bikes!) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202008132419452

Is my logic sound? Will this bike do pretty much everything? Any other options I should be looking at?

Any advice much appreciated!

The Sport Glide is a nice bike for sure. The downsides are only a single front disc and only the 107 engine option. Neither are major downsides.

That said, 107 CI is a 1.7L bike and the M8 engine is a peach for cruising.

The new Softail (of which the Sport Glide is one) have a rather nice new frame with a mono shock rear end only 30 or so years too late. They are quite a lot different from earlier Harleys in a good way. The Fat Bob, Sport Glide and Low Rider have USD forks IIRC.

If you are interested in the Sport Glide, you should probably also try the Low Rider. It doesn't come with bags, but it does come with the 114 CI engine and dual disks. As does the Fat Bob.

I have the Fat Bob and mine has been fettled quite a bit. It's a beast of a bike, but not the best for touring. Mind you I have done about 25K all over Europe on it with a big bag strapped on the back. Solo. It would not work well for 2 up, but you could make it work with an understanding partner.

As for the Touring bikes like the Road King, Street Glide etc, they are quite a bit heavier with worse suspension and an older frame that in my opinion is due an update to a mono shock. The newer M8 engined ones are lovely bikes nonetheless......and I hanker after a Road Glide but will be waiting for a frame update before buying one.

Extended test ride - or even renting one for a whole day is the way to go to figure out if you like it or not. On the riding position, absolutely everything on a Harley can be adjusted to suit you if the out of the box fit isn't great.

Oh - also forgot to say. The bags on the Sport Glide are fairly small and plasticky looking IMHO.

Personally, I would go Low Rider S and then add a set of LeatherPros FXDXT Retro v3 expandable bags. In leather if you can afford them over the ballistic nylon as they are just gorgeous. Loads of luggage space that way and still super quick on and off.

No idea what you’re talking about. Not test riding bikes has nothing to do with wanting a ‘lifestyle’ or being too busy. Quite the opposite actually. I don't believe you can truly understand if you like a bike in an hour or even a days test ride. I get that if you took one for a long holiday in the states you’d get a decent feel for it, but I don’t have that luxury.

I used to test ride bikes all the time many years ago. Looking back now that was also the period I used to constantly change them. I remember test riding a Blackbird and thinking it was utterly amazing so bought it, only to be utterly bored with it 6 weeks later. Whereas the first GS I had I probably wouldn’t have bought if I’d tested it as it was pretty underwhelming on first ride, especially coming from a GSXR1000. Then after a few months and a Euro tour I loved it and kept it 8 years. Test riding a bike is the equivalent or marrying a woman after a first date - it’s probably not going to be all that representative of married life!

I spent a lot more on my house and I didn’t test that either - didn’t ask to spend the night to get a feel for it, or rent one down the street so I could test the area before putting an offer in.

Basically I just fancy having a totally different riding experience for a few years. It’s only a bike - I’m not planning on joining a chapter!

All that said, I do appreciate the advice, and maybe a Harley really is that different to every other bike so I may well try both a Road King and Sport Glide.

IMHO out of all the bikes available for test rides, if you've never had one, the Harley is the least likely to give you a 'proper' impression on a test ride of less than 200 miles+. And really you need a longer trip. Another factor is that they are almost infinitely adjustable as far as seating, screens, controls, bars, noise, brakes and performance go so you can change anything that doesn't quite 'fit'.
I've had Harleys for 30 years and it always takes me a few miles to fit back into the riding style after my other bikes.
If I were to go on a relaxed RTW trip on mostly well paved roads I'd probably choose my EVO Roadking. Bullet proof, easy to fix almost anywhere if necessary and very comfortable to ride.

Oh - also forgot to say. The bags on the Sport Glide are fairly small and plasticky looking IMHO.

Personally, I would go Low Rider S and then add a set of LeatherPros FXDXT Retro v3 expandable bags. In leather if you can afford them over the ballistic nylon as they are just gorgeous. Loads of luggage space that way and still super quick on and off.

Thanks for that. And yep, I did wonder about the bags being a little small for camping compared to the GS.

IMHO out of all the bikes available for test rides, if you've never had one, the Harley is the least likely to give you a 'proper' impression on a test ride of less than 200 miles+. And really you need a longer trip. Another factor is that they are almost infinitely adjustable as far as seating, screens, controls, bars, noise, brakes and performance go so you can change anything that doesn't quite 'fit'.
I've had Harleys for 30 years and it always takes me a few miles to fit back into the riding style after my other bikes.
If I were to go on a relaxed RTW trip on mostly well paved roads I'd probably choose my EVO Roadking. Bullet proof, easy to fix almost anywhere if necessary and very comfortable to ride.

That was my original thought. I’ll buy one and decide in a years time if it was a good purchase rather than trying to second guess after a short ride.

That was my original thought. I’ll buy one and decide in a years time if it was a good purchase rather than trying to second guess after a short ride.
...but, just to be clear, I would say the new HDs are a world of difference compared to my 1996 Evo.

Sagalout
I bought a TC88 Road King 11 years ago as I just liked the bike and wasn't interested in the HD lifestyle. I keep a HOG membership (its not expensive) but don't do events but and just use it for insurance discount now. It is a simple bike TBH and does everything its designed to do well and if even if ridden as a big tourer or with some spirit its just enjoyable to ride. I strip mine down and take off pillion seat/backrest and screen and still ride the same roads as I do with a GS or sports bike and don't have any less fun on it just in a different sense. I wouldn't be without one now and will likely change it for a newer model next year but definitely test ride one and would challenge you to not enjoy it for what it is. Get a test ride!

I was going through a Harley thought process a few months ago - and then went and bought a new K1600 grand America that I collected last week.

I like the Harley look and culture, but even trying their CVO Road Glide Limited I could not get used to the riding position and found it far more cramped than either the Honda Goldwing or K1600 GA that I also demoed.

I think to have a Harley you have to want the looks, culture and lifestyle, but for actual riding they cannot compete with "regular" bike in my view, and I would not have one as an only road bike, but would have a smaller one for a 40 mile potter on a sunny day.

I was going through a Harley thought process a few months ago - and then went and bought a new K1600 grand America that I collected last week.

And you were doing so well until this moment. :blast

When I was seriously considering buying a Harley last year, I was going to ask how much more it would cost to not be given HOG membership
Just buy a used one, or be cnut, not sure if it was the former or the latter, but it wasn’t even mentioned when I bought mine from the dealer :D

I like the Harley look and culture, but even trying their CVO Road Glide Limited I could not get used to the riding position and found it far more cramped than either the Honda Goldwing or K1600 GA that I also demoed.

I think to have a Harley you have to want the looks, culture and lifestyle, but for actual riding they cannot compete with "regular" bike in my view, and I would not have one as an only road bike, but would have a smaller one for a 40 mile potter on a sunny day.

Utter bollocks, but the positive is the ‘lifestylers’ have one less muppet to clog up our roads whilst following the HOG ‘road captain’ at this supposed cruising pace :rolleyes:

Just back from a quick trip over to the tap at Eastham, cruise at 80 and the pigs trotter was more than happy. Highway pegs meant I was ‘laid back armchair‘ comfy.

Oh, and not once did I feel the need for chaps or to speak in a faux American accent y’all.

Used it for shopping whilst in lockdown, pop in to town on it, ride 350 miles in a day for fun and throw it through the twisties at a reasonable enough pace to embarrass more than a few numpties on ‘regular’ bikes.

Have a word with yourself, it’s only a motorcycle, it’s not a mythical beast that requires a grand wizard and a spell book to enjoy it.

Just buy a used one, or be cnut, not sure if it was the former or the latter, but it wasn’t even mentioned when I bought mine from the dealer :D

Mine mentioned it....he asked me if I wanted a membership or not (and whispered that most folks with a life don't go for it.), or a free dealer t shirt.

I have to say, the t shirt is a good fit and very good quality!

I bought my 1st Harley a few months ago (apart from a FXST I owned for a couple of months in the late '80's) it's a Heritage softail , I'm 6' tall and as the forum name suggests....no lightweight. I find it supremely comfortable, look forward to riding it at every opportunity (it's never going to be a garage queen!) and for me it was a great decision. I did toy with the idea of a Roadking and tried a few but plumped for the 114 Heritage as I just preferred the look of it.
That said, my bike is in for some piffling warranty work tomorrow and I have arranged to try a Streetglide Special......I'm looking forward to it. :thumb

Have fun with your investigations and good luck!

Mine mentioned it....he asked me if I wanted a membership or not (and whispered that most folks with a life don't go for it.), or a free dealer t shirt.

I have to say, the t shirt is a good fit and very good quality!

I bought my 1st Harley a few months ago (apart from a FXST I owned for a couple of months in the late '80's) it's a Heritage softail , I'm 6' tall and as the forum name suggests....no lightweight. I find it supremely comfortable, look forward to riding it at every opportunity (it's never going to be a garage queen!) and for me it was a great decision. I did toy with the idea of a Roadking and tried a few but plumped for the 114 Heritage as I just preferred the look of it.
That said, my bike is in for some piffling warranty work tomorrow and I have arranged to try a Streetglide Special......I'm looking forward to it. :thumb

Have fun with your investigations and good luck!

Imagine buying a bike because you like the look of it and how it feels under ya bum cheeks. Admit it, you did it for the lifestyle didn’t you. Nothing like seeing a big lad in a tasseled leather jacket, cowboy boots and leather chaps :D

I wanted a streetglide, but the roadking feels less bulky and is more versatile for what I wanted (oh, and m8 e was so cheap I couldn’t say no ��).

I loved my GS’s, but I’m a really miserable bastard if I can’t get out on the Harley, it just makes me happy.

Imagine buying a bike because you like the look of it and how it feels under ya bum cheeks. Admit it, you did it for the lifestyle didn’t you. Nothing like seeing a big lad in a tasseled leather jacket, cowboy boots and leather chaps :D

I wanted a streetglide, but the roadking feels less bulky and is more versatile for what I wanted (oh, and m8 e was so cheap I couldn’t say no ��).

I loved my GS’s, but I’m a really miserable bastard if I can’t get out on the Harley, it just makes me happy.

Damn.....rumbled!! :D

Nah! but really, I don't do waistcoats and patches, and don't like multi bike convoys, 4 or 5 bikes is about my limit, and they have to be folks I know and trust.
However, I know what you mean about it making you happy, they ought to prescribe them on the NHS!:bounce1

Ref. your comment about the RK v the SG, surely the fairing is the only real difference, or am I missing something??:confused::nenau

I am quite interested in riding the SG tomorrow, trouble is Cheltenham HD have got a brand spanking new CVO SG that's just come in!:blast

Damn.....rumbled!! :D

Nah! but really, I don't do waistcoats and patches, and don't like multi bike convoys, 4 or 5 bikes is about my limit, and they have to be folks I know and trust.
However, I know what you mean about it making you happy, they ought to prescribe them on the NHS!:bounce1

Ref. your comment about the RK v the SG, surely the fairing is the only real difference, or am I missing something??:confused::nenau

I am quite interested in riding the SG tomorrow, trouble is Cheltenham HD have got a brand spanking new CVO SG that's just come in!:blast

According to Harley, the SG and the RKS weight is the same! So that batwing, stereo, speakers etc must be made of air :D

The SG weight is high up, on the move it’s ok, but when moving it around it feels mahoosive.

Compared to your softail it’s a lump.

Back
Top Bottom