Harley curious

I don't think your really getting the Harley lifestyle thing. Go watch wild hogs the movie, you remind me of the guy on the sporster.

they are all , ponderous tanks , touring ones are like armchairs on wheels , a sportster is only sporty after a big one ...,handling is limited , braking is ok up to 80 mph . never show a big one the 3 b's , a bend , a bump , or a braking point. don't cross white lines in a corner . ride them like an old airhead , be brave and stick to your chosen line .

i have 2 of them . they can be great fun , the motors are like a turbine , very linear power delivery.

go ride some.

Oh No - after years longing for an Airhead I have bought one. Not delivered yet ( Covid etc) . Are they really that bad handling ?

I still love them, I suppose I can ride in a straight line

[/B]Hopefully we can remain bestest biker buddy chums once you understand the sentiment!!!!
We may not have "got" each other in the thread, but life is too short for petty bickering. I've just done another 400 miles over the last three days on the Grand America - and granted - It did have a battery failure and BMW assistance rocked up with a new one :D:blast So I'm happy to tell it "warts n all", it is a BMW forum after all, so we know the score. But it was a great few days away and the bike is now run in and awaiting it's first service :beerjug:

You need to come for a ride with me on my roadking special. Don't expect anything less than 250 miles and don't expect anything slower than 80mph oh and don't expect straight roads and motorways.

I took one of those across the USA two years ago, great bike, and I was impressed by the new (then) 107 engine, and have just signed up for another 3k miles on a Street Glide tour for next year around the North West USA area as I feel culturally it's one of the best ways to do the USA on a bike. (although I may be speaking to @Sgt Bilco for a Canada trip the year after :D)

I'm sure you would ride rings round me on a Harley, I'm not as young or as good as I used to be, and as I get older I get more interested in reaching the destination rather than how I get there ;) Let's face it, I don't bounce as good as I used to and I'm happy to take all the mod cons I can to keep me between the hedges, my days on an RD350LC are well and truly over - crash it on the weekend and rebuild it in the week - FFS What was I thinking :D

We may not have "got" each other in the thread, but life is too short for petty bickering. I've just done another 400 miles over the last three days on the Grand America - and granted - It did have a battery failure and BMW assistance rocked up with a new one :D:blast So I'm happy to tell it "warts n all", it is a BMW forum after all, so we know the score. But it was a great few days away and the bike is now run in and awaiting it's first service :beerjug:

That’s better :thumb

You can’t say something as controversial as ‘lifestyle and culture’ without expecting some backlash :D

I’m full of cold, so no riding for me unfortunately, but glad you’re enjoying yourself without resorting to that midget :green gri:D

So just to update this, I did in fact go and test ride a bike today. As suspected it hasn’t made me decide one way or the other really, but it was an interesting experience to see just how different they are from a typical euro/jap bike.

I rode the Street Glide 114 as it was the only touring bike they had on test (I’m swaying towards a Road King). Someone described it as a viceral experience and I definitely get that. By any measurable metric the GS is better in every way, but there was something about how the Harley felt - a feeling of utter solidity matched with a soundtrack that was like a V8 muscle car. Did about 50 miles of mixed roads and was getting the hang of throwing it around by the end. The GS felt plasticky and like a light weight dirt bike when I got back on it hah.

My gut feeling is that I will go for it. Positives were the surprising agility (more than I expected anyway) the torqueyness of the engine and soundtrack. Also really liked the ergonomics of the bars and switchgear. Chunky grips and left right indicators which were intuitive (BMW should have kept those).

Negatives would be unsure of how that riding position will feel on the lower back after 200 miles of motorway, but that seems to be what they are used for so probably not a real issue?

Also the luggage capacity looked pretty small compared to the GS panniers. Plenty for a hotel tour but camping would probably mean buying one of those sissy bars and racks I guess?

I still have a lingering doubt as to whether it could replace the GS as a main ‘do it all’ bike. It feels like it would be more of an event to get it out of the garage for a ride. I don’t have room for both.

They do have a Sport Glide I can test later in the week, which I may do just to see if it feels significantly more practical as a day to day bike.

So just to update this, I did in fact go and test ride a bike today. As suspected it hasn’t made me decide one way or the other really, but it was an interesting experience to see just how different they are from a typical euro/jap bike.

I rode the Street Glide 114 as it was the only touring bike they had on test (I’m swaying towards a Road King). Someone described it as a viceral experience and I definitely get that. By any measurable metric the GS is better in every way, but there was something about how the Harley felt - a feeling of utter solidity matched with a soundtrack that was like a V8 muscle car. Did about 50 miles of mixed roads and was getting the hang of throwing it around by the end. The GS felt plasticky and like a light weight dirt bike when I got back on it hah.

My gut feeling is that I will go for it. Positives were the surprising agility (more than I expected anyway) the torqueyness of the engine and soundtrack. Also really liked the ergonomics of the bars and switchgear. Chunky grips and left right indicators which were intuitive (BMW should have kept those).

Negatives would be unsure of how that riding position will feel on the lower back after 200 miles of motorway, but that seems to be what they are used for so probably not a real issue?

Also the luggage capacity looked pretty small compared to the GS panniers. Plenty for a hotel tour but camping would probably mean buying one of those sissy bars and racks I guess?

I still have a lingering doubt as to whether it could replace the GS as a main ‘do it all’ bike. It feels like it would be more of an event to get it out of the garage for a ride. I don’t have room for both.

They do have a Sport Glide I can test later in the week, which I may do just to see if it feels significantly more practical as a day to day bike.

Take less shit with you when you go away.

Rack and sissy bar and mountings all from amazon for about 160 quid (Harley shit is way too expensive and no better).

Back problem solved with a back rest (cheap from eBay and the likes), looks shit, works wonders.

Pain in the arse to move around, but I reverse mine in the garage which makes it easier to get out, the backrest helps massively when pushing backwards.

The GS is a better bike in numbers and technical aspects but bikes were never supposed to be so clinically measured.

I test rode (probably) the same bike a couple of weeks ago...was it the black one with the button to alter the volume of the exhausts?
I too was looking to try a Road King but they didn't have one. I feel the same as you I guess...my old GS is probably better/more practical but I've got to get a Harley one day and that day is hopefully coming soon :beer:

I test rode (probably) the same bike a couple of weeks ago...was it the black one with the button to alter the volume of the exhausts?
I too was looking to try a Road King but they didn't have one. I feel the same as you I guess...my old GS is probably better/more practical but I've got to get a Harley one day and that day is hopefully coming soon :beer:

Yep, that will be the same bike. Sounded fantastic. I can definitely feel myself talking myself into it hah. I have a Scotland trip coming up in 2 weeks so trying to decide whether to sort it before or after.

Yep, that will be the same bike. Sounded fantastic. I can definitely feel myself talking myself into it hah. I have a Scotland trip coming up in 2 weeks so trying to decide whether to sort it before or after.

Indeed, because taking a Harley to Scotland will be just so brilliant.

Why would it not be?

Just time really. I’m away from Saturday with the Mrs and dog for a week (also in Scotland!), so realistically would have to pick the bike up a week on Monday and then sort out a rack etc ready to leave on the Friday (camping trip up to Skye). It would seem a shame not to take the new bike for what will probably be my last decent trip of the year but at the same time don’t want to be stressing on the postal service and installing stuff the night before.

I have no idea, perhaps you would be able to tell me....

I probably can.

It would perform just like a motorcycle. It would be unlikely to break down (but not without the realms of possibility). It might also be comfortable for long periods, although that is not guaranteed. Performance may be acceptable - or even brilliant, depending on your selection of tool, job and expectation.

In other words, it would be no less and no more brilliant than taking any other brand of motorcycle to Scotland assuming you took the correct kind of bike for the kind of riding you wanted to do. i.e. cruising, off road, mad bastard hooning. etc...

But it would almost certainly get you there, around and back without (too many, major) issues.

I probably can.

It would perform just like a motorcycle. It would be unlikely to break down (but not without the realms of possibility). It might also be comfortable for long periods, although that is not guaranteed. Performance may be acceptable - or even brilliant, depending on your selection of tool, job and expectation.

In other words, it would be no less and no more brilliant than taking any other brand of motorcycle to Scotland assuming you took the correct kind of bike for the kind of riding you wanted to do. i.e. cruising, off road, mad bastard hooning. etc...

But it would almost certainly get you there, around and back without (too many, major) issues.

Yeah, but the rack that he hastily fitted may smear his life’s belongings under a wobbly box, ruining the trip!

Tbh, if you want a rack this side of Christmas 2022, I wouldn’t consider buying genuine :D

If it helps you can borrow mine and the mountings, takes about 10 minutes to fit (including brewing up).:thumb2

‘Orrible cnut that I am.

Just time really. I’m away from Saturday with the Mrs and dog for a week (also in Scotland!), so realistically would have to pick the bike up a week on Monday and then sort out a rack etc ready to leave on the Friday (camping trip up to Skye). It would seem a shame not to take the new bike for what will probably be my last decent trip of the year but at the same time don’t want to be stressing on the postal service and installing stuff the night before.

Once you get to the border/gretna head onto the A75 to dumfries then up the A76 all the way to kilmarnock then take the A71 heading west to Irvine where you youll pick up the A78 takes you all the way up the west coast where you can get over the erskine bridge..its a more scenic route than pounding the motorway and you avoid Glasgow ..

Back
Top Bottom