F650 800cc

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just acquired a 2008 650 with not too many miles on the clock. I noticed after a good run this morning that there seems to be a bit of an oil leak and it seems to be coming from the top of the motor at the front. Started stripping off the plastics and just wondering how much of the front of the motor you can see when the airbox and battery are out. Is it possible to remove the head from the top?
Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possibly just the rocker gasket? They're not generally prone to Head gaskets AFAIK, been some years since I resealed mine but plastics, air box, battery & housing etc gave access can do the plugs whilst you're in there. I degreased & refitted the old gasket with some of the sump gasket sealer stuff halfords etc do it.

Is it possibly just the rocker gasket? They're not generally prone to Head gaskets AFAIK, been some years since I resealed mine but plastics, air box, battery & housing etc gave access can do the plugs whilst you're in there. I degreased & refitted the old gasket with some of the sump gasket sealer stuff halfords etc do it.

That's great thanks. I'll keep going.

As he says, unlikely to be head, probably rocker cover.

Edit
If you are going that far then fit a new one.

The early F800 motors had an issue with the gasket that seals the valve cover. There was a design change to the shoulder bolts that hold it on that puts more pressure on the gasket (NOTE: These are shoulder bolts DO NOT attempt to tighten the old bolts beyond the torque spec!!!) The replacement gaskets come with the new type bolts. Also some sealant has to be applied in the half moon on the left side.

Back
Top Bottom