Discs?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I found a Unicorn nest the other day and hoarded within were a pair of X Challenge wheels on Japanese rims (Yamaha? RM possibly? bright blue they were / are). Brand new Pirelli tubes and MT21s fited too, never used. :thumby:

Nw, the reason they haven't been used is because they were for spare use and have no discs on them. Rather than nick the discs off my road wheels, as they now are (17 / 19) I should like to save up and buy some discs to fit to these wheels. What would the collect thought be for the best discs to get, bearing in mind that they will be more trail used than road used - those knobbies will be fearful on the road I expect...tiptoing will be my road riding on them! I expect they will be horrendously noisy and disappear like an ice cream in the sun, but hopefully some of the Peak District tracks will become more available to me.

Options I have used in the past

Rear, found on ebay. Non branded, approx £40
Front, I think one from an f650 Dakar fit so you can widen your search parameters, but check first.
Mounting bolts/washers, I have only ever used bmw ones, with prices to match!

Good luck. They do look nice. Good find :thumb2

Thanks for that. What is the benefit of floating disc over the normal fixed one? (£86) - and for the rear?

It's self aligning which is, obviously, of greater benefit with fixed, opposed-piston calipers. However, even with the X-Country's floating caliper, there's a discernible improvement in braking, especially when paired with Brembo red (sintered0 pads.

The original disc on my bike also howled like a banshee when I bought it. It doesn't any more.

I also have some Brembo Goldline 4 piston calipers sitting in the workshop. One of those might find its way onto the bike in the future at which point, the fully-floating disc will be even more relevant.

As ever, YMMV.

I must be a right woos then - I reckon the X Country's brakes are fantastic (standard). They certainly make the front wheel skip to the ABS with just one finger..... The X Challenge is very good too, but it has some kind of wavy disc on it, again, the braking is very effective, no ABS on that one. I think the standard braking is probably effective enough for my pedestrian progress. I see videos of people riding faster off road than I do on the motorway. :D

Back
Top Bottom