Basecamp - Creating a route from an Activity Log

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking through my recent logs,I can see a nice little route I took. I now want to convert it into Route. But there doesn't appear to be a right-click menu offering this or any other menu?

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an Activity Log into a Route?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This describes how to do it on pc.

by activity log do you mean a track, if so import the track from your sat nav to basecamp by conecting your device to pc and going to device at the top of your basecamp window and select receive from device, when box opens and depending on what sat nav you have, you will need to select the unit or tracks depending on choices, once selected click ok.
Your tracks should now have uploaded to base camp and will be in the bottom left pane of your basecamp window, and will also be displayed on the map.
Now if you highlight the track you wish to convert to a route in the bottom left window by clicking on it and then right click on it you wil be presented with a box with many options select convert track to route and jobs done.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zk06mnbRr_A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

. ,,,,,,

that will work, :beerjug::okay:D:D its also done with pc it may differ if using a mac.

Gents. Thank you very much for the input.

There seems to be some semantics here and I'm not sure how important it is?

I'm describing the journey I want to convert as an 'Activity Log' - because that's what I'm viewing (see screen shot below). I see these logs by clicking onto the 'internal storage' icon listed directly under my 595 in Basecamp. There's a list of the logs and the journeys appear as grey lines on the map.

Are these also recognised as 'Tracks'? If yes, then I can use your instructions

These logs seem to record where you go, regardless of whether you're following a planned route or not using the Zumo unit (but yes, it would have to be switched on during your journey).

20200910_091846.jpg

yes the blackish greyish line with the arrow heads is a track, if you were to right click on any of the active logs (tracks) once highlighted in the left pane you can then use the instruction convert to route. hope this helps.

yes the blackish greyish line with the arrow heads is a track, if you were to right click on any of the active logs (tracks) once highlighted in the left pane you can then use the instruction convert to route. hope this helps.
Magic! Thank you very much for that. I'm going to get onto it this evening!

Converting tracks / logs into routes and visa-versa is a useful skill to learn. Why?

Some routes imported from third party sources (for instance from websites) do not always display properly. There are a number of reasons why they might not but, for the sake this thread, let’s accept that it is not always a perfect affair. Some websites and third party software applications allow the downloading of tracks, as opposed to routes. The importation of the tracks is usually nigh on perfect and their conversion to routes is more often than not perfect too. Can errors still occur? Yes. Again, the reasons might vary but the most common one is where the track takes a direction of travel that BaseCamp / MapSource cannot reproduce. An example might be when the track takes a small road that Garmin’s map does not know is there or when the track’s creator nipped down a no entry road or went up a one way street the wrong way. These glitches can be fine tuned out but that’s a matter for another thread.

OP, don’t forget that when you do your conversion from a track to a route, the resultant route will include any little (or large) excursions off to do something or when you went wrong. For example, if halfway along you dived off for two miles to get petrol or to see your mum, that deviation will be reproduced. Similarly, if you left a roundabout at exit two but should have taken exit three, any correction you then made (or change in direction you subsequently made) will be reproduced, too. I see this quite often in tracks I import from foreign magazines. I can see where the track’s creator did go wrong or nipped into a town for a coffee or apparently just stopped in the countryside to do something or other. Again, you can correct these glitches but that, if you want to do it, is for another day.

Wapping. Thank you for that video. Sorted it last night. As you say, a really useful skill to have. I've even created a route from a track - now that understand the Activity Log entries are seen as Tracks - adjusted it and then added some bits. Worked a treat.

Now for my next question.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom