Heads-Up: Card Fraud

I wish I actually understood what you are trying to describe.

These scams make me even more paranoid and wanting to pay by cash in person.

What is this 'pe81' website that people are saying to go to?

Look at the website in the screenshot given in post no. 12 by the original poster pe81.com/(with a bunch of letters after the /). This is the link he clicked and proceeded to enter his card details into. Fortunately the Bank of Ireland was already aware of the scam and blocked the transaction and card.

If you ignore the last part of the link and just enter pe81.com into a browser you get to a website hosted in China - it is seemingly an innocent website set up to offer private clinic services. Just the location of the website should raise alarms but why would a clinic be involved in parcel based transactions? In reality the website has presumably been setup as part of the scam. There will be webpages there that mimic the German postal service used by Louis.

There is no need to be paranoid. You just need to treat the internet and especially text messages with the same sceptical view you would have for other aspects of life. If someone calls you on the phone asking for money do you hand out your card details without being sure of their identity? If you get a letter asking for money from a source you do not recognise do you post a cheque? If someone knocks on your door and offers to sell you lucky heather or weed your drive do you give them cash for spraying water on a dandelion? Fraud is not new, just the methodology.

Wessie, good advice and to the comment in post #18, agreed, it’s a random pfishing thing.

I wish I actually understood what you are trying to describe.

These scams make me even more paranoid and wanting to pay by cash in person.

What is this 'pe81' website that people are saying to go to?

Less of the woe is me stuff.

Look at the picture in the post that triggered the replies. It is there. Type in the letters, as described above and you’ll know how to do it next time, should you be as unlucky (it’s all random, it’s not strictly speaking personal) to receive such a text. Though as you tell us your phone predates Bell and will not link to the internet, it’s the scammers who will be unlucky.

The rules are very simple:

1. Don’t click on things that just appear.

2. Look at messages and emails. Do they look real? Are there spelling mistakes? Is the language used ‘correct’? Do the contact us details look real? Not least, why might you expect to have been contacted by say, a bank, the tax office or indeed anyone?

3. Look at the manner of communication. How many companies / financial houses / government bodies use texts for financial matters?

4. If in doubt, do nothing.

5. Even if you wonder if it’s real..... do nothing.

6. Do a quick search on the internet. Something as simple as: Text received I owe £1:50 courier will probably give you an answer that it’s a scam. Google does really well with ‘few word’ searches.

Back
Top Bottom