How do you reverse a route?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How the hell do you invert a route when you're out and completed the route in one direction but want to head back doing the same journey??!!

I've tried switching the "next destination" that's offered when you choose to start a particular route, but then it thinks you're going that place and back . So the arrival time is very worrying

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The short answer is..... You can't, not from within a modern Garmin - automotive - device itself.

But there is a workaround:

1. Convert (save) the route into a track, which you can do from within the device.

2. Summon up the track and reverse it.

3. Give the reversed route a name and save it.

4. Summon it up and away you go.

Why Garmin don't let you just reverse a route, I have no idea.

Another workaround would be to summon up the track you have just ridden.

Reverse it.

Name and save it.

Summon it up.

Maybe it's because waypoints on dual carriageways would be on the wrong side of the road so the routing would all go haywire :nenau

The device could work that out, for sure, as it can reverse tracks and not send you the wrong way around a roundabout.

You used to be able to reverse routes, straight off the bat, from within a device itself. But this option was dropped a few years ago.

One last and somewhat crude workaround but one I have used.

Keep the original route, doing nothing to it.

Run it and turn auto-recalculate off. You should have it off anyway or at least have it on prompted *.

Follow the magenta line, using just enough common sense to prevent you riding down the oncoming carriageway of the M1.

You won't have the voice prompts or direction notifications but it's just like following a line drawn on an old fashioned paper map.

* This is heresy in some quarters but I don't care.

The short answer is..... You can't, not from within a modern Garmin - automotive - device itself.

But there is a workaround:

1. Convert (save) the route into a track, which you can do from within the device.

2. Summon up the track and reverse it.

3. Give the reversed route a name and save it.

4. Summon it up and away you go.

Why Garmin don't let you just reverse a route, I have no idea.
Wapping. You're a star. Thank you! I now at least know I want losing it!

Instructions are clear. I'll give it a try later.

This is going to make a big difference to my route planning!

can you not use 'Tracks' ? Not near my device now and never used it but sounds like that might work?

I thought you could reverse a route.....If its already loaded into the nav

Reverse a Route

Turn on the Garmin GPS and touch "Route Planner."
Tap the route you want to reverse.
Touch "Reverse Route." This reverses the waypoints on the selected route.

Assuming the SatNav is Garmin or using Garmin software, I believe you just select tracback in apps.

Assuming the SatNav is Garmin or using Garmin software, I believe you just select tracback in apps.
Well, err... Ok. But when I click on that app, it just takes me to a screen mostly showing my current location... Nothing to do with reversing a created route.

I'm sure my old 660 was easier?!

I thought you could reverse a route.....If its already loaded into the nav

Reverse a Route

Turn on the Garmin GPS and touch "Route Planner."
Tap the route you want to reverse.
Touch "Reverse Route." This reverses the waypoints on the selected route.

OK, let’s try that on a Nav V and VI.

Home screen

Apps

Trip Planner

Choose a route

Thee potential choices: Map, Go and the three bar lines in the top left corner

It can’t be Map or Go, which just leaves the thee bars

Choices are:

Edit destinations. Yes, I could manually shift them about, reversing the order. Easier if there is only two, longer if there are more. However, if you just reverse two (the start and the finish) there is no guarantee that the route offered up will be the true reverse of the route ridden originally

Delete trip

Rename trip

Optimise order

Transportation Mide

Route Preference

So there is no automatic reversal of the route or ‘Reverse route’ command

Yup, you can find the track (assuming track record is active) but then you have to reverse the track and then save it as a route.

On the same topic:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/453419-How-do-I-reverse-a-route-successfully

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?82590-Nav-V-how-do-you-reverse-a-route

To summarise, unless you have an earlier device (or one where the ‘Reverse route’ function is still available) you can’t do it, unless you use a workaround.

Why has it vanished? I guess there are a number of reasons:

1. Because few people want to ride backwards along the same roads they rode up on; the demand simply isn’t there.

2. Many owners do not create their own routes A to B or A to E, via all the letters in between. They ask the device (or software on their PC or phone) to do it for them, according to their preference settings. They do not care what route the device throws up, unless they don’t like it, upon which they will moan like buggery about how useless Garmin is. When they come to go home, they just hit ‘Home’. Sometimes the device will reverse the route they came up on, sometimes it won’t. They probably won’t care, as sometimes the device throws up “Roads I would never have found” or some such.

3. The people that use tracks most often are those navigating off-road. They probably know how to reverse tracks already.

4. Garmin are packing their devices with more and more other functions, mostly aimed at the infotainment sector, bought by people for whom the act of riding a motorcycle is - in itself - is just not enough. They need to make and receive calls and be told what the weather is. They need up-to-the-minute traffic information. They need music. They need to know at the touch of a button when their next service is, how often they applied the brakes and what angles of lean they have achieved, along with the average temperature the bike has been running at and the voltage kicked out by the alternator. That is what makes motorbiking an activity to make them feel alive.

On the same topic:

4. Garmin are packing their devices with more and more other functions, mostly aimed at the infotainment sector, bought by people for whom the act of riding a motorcycle is - in itself - is just not enough. They need to make and receive calls and be told what the weather is. They need up-to-the-minute traffic information. They need music. They need to know at the touch of a button when their next service is, how often they applied the brakes and what angles of lean they have achieved, along with the average temperature the bike has been running at and the voltage kicked out by the alternator. That is what makes motorbiking an activity to make them feel alive.

:jes:jes:jes:jes:jes:

Thanks for that link Wapping. Those guys were suffering precisely the same issue as me!

My 'on the road' solution was to select my 'next destination' (after pressing the 'Go' button) was to effectively course what was the original start to the route.

It sort of works but the arrival time shows time to the next stop AND back! On my last ride with was 980km, arrival was the following day. Not much flippin hello when you're trying to catch a train at the other end!

I’m in Nevers, France with my ZumoXT and tomorrow’s GPX route had accidentally been planned backwards in base camp eg tonight’s hotel in Nevers should be tomorrow’s start point but instead it is the end point (the planned start of the route at the destination hotel in Chalons En Champagne which is where I want to end up).

I found a way to manually reverse the route as follows (note that my route only has two points so if yours has multiple points you may need to reorder several points, noting their desired order.)

1) Import desired days route from SD card to GPS in Apps>Trip Planner if not already in the unit.

2) Click on route to open it. The page should have a green GO! Button and the Start (Green Flag Icon) and End (Chequered Flag Icon). It may have other waypoints in respective order.

3) Touch and hold the End icon until its box goes orange then let it go. A pop-up menu appears at the bottom of the screen with both a Spanner Icon and an Up/Down arrows icon.

4) Click on the Up/Down arrows icon and a new page opens allowing you to “Reorder Locations” by dragging and dropping them, then click the big blue SAVE button once happy with it. Route is now reversed.

5) Press the green GO icon and off you go.

Hope this helps somebody, there are probably other ways to do this but it worked for me.

Try:

Within the device, save the route as a track.

Still within the device, convert the route back into a track. When doing this, you’ll probably get two options:

1. Start to end

2. End to start

Chose the direction you’d like to go in.

The old 2610 had a reverse route function. But it led to some odd behaviours if the route had motorways or dual carriageways in them. Would tend to send you up and down the section so that you could go through a point on the route :)

Back
Top Bottom