Oil Leak on rear tyre

WillyB

Reaction score
HI all
2006 1200 non abs, non adv

Had my final drive oil replaced by a BMW dealer a few weeks ago, just was on a tour of Yorkshire and noticed when parked a large drop of oil on rear tyre under the shaft looks like from that hole thing (not sure of name) could be wrong but it seems to come from there, panicking because I can't be sure.
So decided to just get on with an amazing trip.
Seems to happen most days on tour when ridden and parked up but was always just one large drop, I wiped with a cloth before riding and all was fine.
Today I rode 150 miles at a rough speed of 70 ish to home, parked on drive and oil free, no drop, you could still see remnants of old drops on the side wall but not tread.

Any clues??
Seals etc: ?

Cheers Bill

a photo of where you think the oil has come from would be a great help..

The fact you never had any oil on the tyre after the last run would suggest the oil level is now sufficiently low that it no longer leaks.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Its from the oil seal the front one of the rear differential. I had the same problem previous summer

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Put a paper in the gap between diff and arm. If stop the leak then is from the seal i told you

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Hi all
I'm still away touring, I managed to give the bike a good wash as no more oil has leaked, but it does seem to be coming form the hole under the shaft casing the one saltman mentioned.
I had the bike fully serviced before we went away for peace of mind and there was deffo no leaks before.
I had it done at a BMW garage
new alt belt
oil and filters
gearbox oil
final drive oil

I have managed to check levels on final drive and gearbox and look fine, I wonder if it possible? of an over fill somewhere and a breather or am I barking the wrong tree.

Thanks for the help Bill

Out of interest, when you were parking it (while touring) I take it that was on the side stand - hence the oil could reach the tyre?

And when you got home, did you put it onto the side stand or centre stand?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Out of interest, when you were parking it (while touring) I take it that was on the side stand - hence the oil could reach the tyre?

And when you got home, did you put it onto the side stand or centre stand?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It was always on side stand apart from checking levels.

OK,
Tour finished now and home, covered 700 miles since leak and nothing more, all was in pretty much dry weather where as oil leak seamed to be after riding in the wet.
I'm wondering if it was grease mixed with road water after the previous owner sad he had just greased all the shaft spindles earlier?
Managed to check all the oil levels again and all ok.
I have really gelled with this bike like no other I have owned, bought with 40,000 miles on a 6 ish weeks ago and now has 43,470, I hope to get it to 100k.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Cheers WillyB

Back
Top Bottom