Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Germany & Austria trip

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Decided we'd try to get into Slovenia to take in the epic Vrsic pass. Lovely ride up to it over the Wurzen, then the border post to contend with where we expected a right grilling. We managed to get through in 2nd gear so no worries. Over the Vrsic, had to dodge flocks of sheep, cows and had to decide whether a bull is best passed on the left or the right. The terraced corners for added braking and cornering grip are superb. Dropped down to the Soca to grab a bite to eat. Just ordered some Slovenian sausage and will hopefully attack the Mangart this afternoon before heading back to Malta. Views here just stunning.

Lunch stop!

Mangart pass...

Looks like I've hit my Tapatalk hosting limit so I'll have to post photos on my return. Had an amazing ride to Slovenia, caught in a thunderstorm on the way back but it was worth it. Yesterday we rode to the Grossglockner and I'm just waking up with coffee no 2 looking out over the mountain. Riding to Kempten later today.

Been back a few days so thought I'd finish this off with some photos.

Following our little run up the Mangart, we had a great ride back through the Soca valley, no issues at the border although one guard did move then hesitate, but our stout refusal to establish eye contact saw us through in 2nd gear again. Quick stop at the T34 tank on the Wurzenpass then the long chug back to Gmund. As we were on the last 20km or so the skies started to look distinctly stormy. Around 10km from our digs the heavens opened and we saw lightning off to the east. I was in kevlar jeans and summer gloves but at this point we just wanted to get back rather than faff around changing kit. A wet end to a superb day's riding.

Thursday saw us check out of our digs at the Hochalmspitze and head up to the Grossglockner, via every tat shop we could find. Marmot hats were trialled. Quick coffee & kuchen at the glacier then on to the Eidelweisspitze with a quick stop down a dirt road I'd wanted to check out. Weather was good throughout although chilly, but bear in mind a week earlier it had been a complete white-out up there. We could easily have been scrapping the stop or riding up in slush! Cleared up nicely in the evening for a while for some great photos before cloud rolled in. Had some food followed by beers with Fluffmeister via a video call where we took the piss out of the TV folk bands.

Woke up Friday with a coffee and an epic view, then loaded up and headed off down the other side of the Glockner. We had around 350km to cover to get to Kempten for the evening so there wasn't many stops or photos. Had a nice lunch halfway over the Gerlos pass at a place that has a great view of a bend for entertainment.

Last day before the ferry dash, we set off from Kempten (hotel was fine and had a very nice steak restaurant just around the corner) towards Saarbrucken where we'd booked at the B&B hotel for that night. We decided to hit the autobahn for a couple of hours to get to Black Forest area, first stop was at Mummelsee after I'd stocked up on Scho-ka-kola. Mummelsee was very busy, had a swish around the shops there and carried on into Le France, via the Rue de Bitche and out the other side into Saarbrucken. Walked into town in the evening to grab some food and relax a bit.

Setting off on my own on Sunday, I rode through Luxembourg and out the other side towards Bastogne. My plan, despite having around 500km to cover was to take in a few WW2 sites of interest on my way back. Arrived in the town of Bastogne, stopped at some lights and noticed the battle damaged Sherman to my left. Spent 15 minutes having a look around it and was pleased to see that it had been unmolested and treated with respect, which may not have been the case had this been in the UK.

As I mooched through Bastogne on my way to Foy to visit the 101st Airborne foxholes I saw signs to the memorial just outside town and decided I had to visit. An amazing place situated atop a hill and with great views whos history was clearly explained via the maps on each pointer.

Last visit before I made tracks was to visit Foy. I am relative newbie to Bastogne's history but I understand this was where the 101st were pinned down attempting to retake the town of Foy in the distance, while being shelled for days on end by Germany troops and Panzer divisions in the village itself. The foxholes that some men called home for days or weeks perhaps, 75 years ago, are still very much there. Quite a haunting and sad place but I am so glad I visited.

Decided i had enough time in hand to visit the King Tiger at La Gleize, so on I went through some fantastic Bastogne countryside. Not sure if it was because it was a Sunday, or if the Belgians are just that cycling mad, but there were droves of them. Had to be careful going uphill because if there was a bend leading into it from the top inevitably a group of mad cyclists would come barrelling round it all over the road (including my side!) Very nice part of the country though and a great last stop before I hit the autoroutes back to Rotterdam.

Bike vs wind turbine for scale, these things are immense!

With the miles done and no queue for the ferry I was straight on and in. Really really empty just like on the way out. Had some nice clear views on the way out of Rotterdam later on when we set sail, and a good crossing. A million thanks to Fluffmeister and Von Stolberg, and a million regrets that Fluff was not able to make it but I know he will be 100% there next year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123