iPhone battery

John B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this is right section but please move if not. I have an iPhone SE, all hunky dory so far, however over the last couple of weeks battery life has taken a dive, going from full to less than 40% by early afternoon, I don't use it to surf or do loads of messages/calls. The mobile data is switched off as is bluetooth, wi-fi and location services so what is causing the drain? battery health indicates 87%. If this doesn't change I can see myself getting a new SE, but 2nd question, can I still use the apps on this if the sim card is in a new phone? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers:beerjug:John B

Not sure if this is right section but please move if not. I have an iPhone SE, all hunky dory so far, however over the last couple of weeks battery life has taken a dive, going from full to less than 40% by early afternoon, I don't use it to surf or do loads of messages/calls. The mobile data is switched off as is bluetooth, wi-fi and location services so what is causing the drain? battery health indicates 87%. If this doesn't change I can see myself getting a new SE, but 2nd question, can I still use the apps on this if the sim card is in a new phone? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers:beerjug:John B

Get a new battery for the SE
£30
Works like new again now

Fitted a new battery to my iPhone .... a cinch.

Look up on uTube :thumb

:beerjug:

Before buying a new battery, which you may have to anyway, try this. Use your phone as normal but don't put it on charge, just let it die completely. Then charge to 100% and let it die again. I've never had to do more than two cycles before it cleared the battery 'memory' which is probably what is causing your issue.

Modern phone batteries don’t have the memory effect.

87% is still a pretty healthy battery.
Go into settings > battery and have a look which apps are using the most energy.
I think Photos can sometimes do a lot of background processing sometimes if deep learning.

Why would you have a smartphone without mobile data on is beyond me :p :)

I changed provider recently but retaing my existing handset but since doing so and when at home the battery drains much quicker.

I think the problem is because the signal strength at home is rubbish, Plusnet don't support Wi-Fi calling and the handset is having to work hard to keep receiving the week signal.

5 se had a battery issue. Mine dies after about 50%. Apple were replacing them some time ago. Just get a battery. JJH

Get a new battery and change it yourself. Watch a couple of YouTube vids and your laughing, I’ve done a couple over the years. Only word of warning is make sure old one is totally discharged as it can be a pain to get them out as the tape that holds them in is incredible. A hair dryer is fantastic for softening the glue to make it really easy. I prised one out once which wasn’t fully discharged and as it crumpled it went off like a magnesium flare and destroyed the phone and our kitchen table. The look on mrs ninjarich was priceless. The smell was awful. Or if your not into a new phone and kitchen then take it to the Apple store and let them do it for you.
More, less fun��

I prised one out once which wasn’t fully discharged and as it crumpled it went off like a magnesium flare and destroyed the phone and our kitchen table.

Literally 30 quid and 30 minutes at an Apple Store. Cheaper than the table :D

Hi, thanks all for the replies and info, looks like a trip to apple shop then:D I do have data but keep it switched off when not using it though as I thought it was draining battery:blast Cheers:beerjug: John B

I have done quite a few of these now.
As a family we have 'standardised' on the iPhone 5s.
Made me chuckle when I read about the battery catching fire as I have also done the same.
One battery was being particularly difficult to remove and accidentally punctured the soft case.
In an instant it fizzed, inflated itself like a balloon and caught fire.:blast
My quick reactions :augie saw me race to the kitchen and grab a pair of tongs, open the front door and chuck it out onto the front lawn!
The table was saved any damage and once the charred remains of the battery were removed from the case, the phone survived albeit with a scorched back.

On piece of advice I would give is if you have a fingerprint scanner on the home button, and if you are a little clumsy, use the proper screen lifting tool (from Amazon) as if you lift the screen too high and break
the cable to the button, you will lose the finger print scanning option for ever. A new button only allows basic home button functionality. The tool limits the distance the screen is lifted.

Cheers

5 se had a battery issue. Mine dies after about 50%. Apple were replacing them some time ago. Just get a battery. JJH

^^^This^^^

....................2nd question, can I still use the apps on this if the sim card is in a new phone? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers:beerjug:John B

As long as you have wifi, yes you can. I do just this with an old SE which I use as a radio/streamer into my hifi.

Andres

Expensive trip to Apple store! so now have a new model SE, I put new Sim in it and followed instructions to set it up however......... Not all apps transferred over, phone shows contacts but not previous call lists, previous messages are not there etc, Am I a complete idiot (very possible) or have I missed something blindingly obvious (like my old apps won't work in IOS 14) I may have to go back to Apple store but really don't want to..Cheers:beerjug:John B

How long ago did u get the phone? Some stuff seem to transfer quicker than others. There is a feature that allows the phones too transfer data if left beside each other. JJH

Well, after a chat to an apple guy, cleared the new phone, re installed with the Old one next to it (ta JJH) and all is as it should be now:okay, mucho relieved, thanks to all suggestions.Cheers:beerjug:John B
p.s. new batteries are now £50 replaced at apple stores

Back
Top Bottom