Tyres - the old chestnut!

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at changing the tyres on my 2008 GS which is new to me but still has the original Bridgestone Battlewings dated 2007 on! Just noted a nice cut in the rear so time to go.

I will be doing a little green laning -probably about 10 - 15% so don't want a fully road tyre. I know everyone will have their own favourites so what advice? TIA.

1915d624ebe786c6d8f24bcdf03b03fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avon Trailriders. On my second set on the 650, just put them on my 1200 now. They seem to better than most for squaring off.

+1 for the Avon Trail Rider, I've used them on a Yam xtz1200 and an R100gs doing some easy green laning, and intend to replace the OE Dunlops on my CB500x with a pair of Trail Riders. These Avons have been excellent in all road conditions.

Heidenau K60 Scout, had them one a couple of hundred miles. Seem good on loose gravel. Looks the part too

Pirelli STR Rallye (what is put on the Yamaha T7). I have a set on my GS1200 Rallye and love them.

Attachments

• 746B226B-FA2F-41C6-ABE8-EE9E4522B62B.jpg
    746B226B-FA2F-41C6-ABE8-EE9E4522B62B.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 382
Forum sponsor jumping in here. I've put a guide together on (almost) all the tyres you can fit to your 1200GS, broken down into different riding categories but it also applies to the 800 and smaller-engined models as the majority of the tyres listed in the 1200 piece are available for those too.

If you like the Bridgestones I'd consider the A41s but also check out Continental's TKC70 which is a great tyre for the odd bit of green laning.

Forum sponsor jumping in here. I've put a guide together on (almost) all the tyres you can fit to your 1200GS, broken down into different riding categories but it also applies to the 800 and smaller-engined models as the majority of the tyres listed in the 1200 piece are available for those too.

If you like the Bridgestones I'd consider the A41s but also check out Continental's TKC70 which is a great tyre for the odd bit of green laning.

That's a great article!

Heidenau K60 Scout, had them one a couple of hundred miles. Seem good on loose gravel. Looks the part too

seconded, I'll never put a different brand on mine.

They handled everything I ask of them and still return 9000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjtgLz1LjnE

Best tyre review I’ve ever seen. New Michelin, adventures and wilds, come out top.
K60s are marked way down due to the price in the US.
I’ve used K60s for years and my wife uses TKC 70s which are also excellent.
If the price is right I’ll be trying the Michelins next time.

I'm just about to fit a set of Mitas E07's on my 800.

I used to run K60's on my 1200 but I think the E07's are a slightly better tyre. They give great grip all round and last for ever.

Ordered as set of Avon Trailriders for my f800gsa from M and P via their E Bay site , ordered them on 12/11 and they were delivered on 14/11 all for £161.99, thought they might be old stock but their production dates are week 42/2020 and week 38/2020.

I used them on my old r1200gsa lc and they were very good tyres so hopefully they will be getting fitted next week

Just put anything on they’re all
the same . More mileage means a harder tyre And visa versa , so it’s all a trade off .
The clever marketing makes you believe there’s a difference .
More knobblie , the more they’ll cope with the mud but wear more on the road

Back
Top Bottom