Traction control/anti-wheelie

Haydnw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of times whilst trying to set off quickly from stopped progress has been very jerky, I'm assuming that this is the bike's electronics intervening and preventing wheel-spin or the front wheel lifting? Bike was in road mode, what settings do I need to change to prevent this?

Haydn

You could try it in dynamic mode, that would change a lot of the restrictions regarding traction control, throttle control ect, and allowing the bike to be more user friendly ;)

When my bike was new it came in rain mode, I changed it to road mode as soon as I got home, after a couple of days I tried it in dynamic mode, and it’s been in dynamic mode ever since. It’s very dry here, so no reason to change it, if I lived in a wetter country then I would use the other mode’s as needed.

Hi,
You may have activated ‘hill-assist’ when braking to a stop and then set off whilst it is still applied. It is difficult to set off in this way without it being jerky in my experience on my R 1200 GS - I hear that it is better on the 1250.
Presuming you have the TFT screen you can check for a green ‘H’ icon on the display when it is applied. Just a thought.

Best is in Dynamic pro, this way you can tune in the TC yourself

Hi,

A couple of times whilst trying to set off quickly from stopped progress has been very jerky, I'm assuming that this is the bike's electronics intervening and preventing wheel-spin or the front wheel lifting? Bike was in road mode, what settings do I need to change to prevent this?

Haydn

Did any warning lights flash during this incident to show that TC was intervening?
My own experience is that, despite the clutch being a wet multiplate, it can behave in the same way as the dry single plate in some situations ie dump the clutch and its grabby. Try to catch it and it ends up being jerky.
Just my farthingsworth.

Have you still got the standard exhaust on? My 1250 comes up no problem 1st 2nd and 3rd gear with the traction on. A friend of mine bought exactly same bike as mine and i found it very restrictive trying to get the front end up, the only difference is his standard can.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

You could try it in dynamic mode, that would change a lot of the restrictions regarding traction control, throttle control ect, and allowing the bike to be more user friendly ;)

When my bike was new it came in rain mode, I changed it to road mode as soon as I got home, after a couple of days I tried it in dynamic mode, and it’s been in dynamic mode ever since. It’s very dry here, so no reason to change it, if I lived in a wetter country then I would use the other mode’s as needed.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try dynamic mode to see if it makes a difference, it's happened a couple of times now - definitely in 'road' yesterday, unsure which mode previously.

Have you still got the standard exhaust on? My 1250 comes up no problem 1st 2nd and 3rd gear with the traction on. A friend of mine bought exactly same bike as mine and i found it very restrictive trying to get the front end up, the only difference is his standard can.

Yes still standard, hopefully I don't have to change the exhaust system to sort it.

Hi,
You may have activated ‘hill-assist’ when braking to a stop and then set off whilst it is still applied. It is difficult to set off in this way without it being jerky in my experience on my R 1200 GS - I hear that it is better on the 1250.
Presuming you have the TFT screen you can check for a green ‘H’ icon on the display when it is applied. Just a thought.

Thanks for your reply - definitely not hill assist.

Did any warning lights flash during this incident to show that TC was intervening?
My own experience is that, despite the clutch being a wet multiplate, it can behave in the same way as the dry single plate in some situations ie dump the clutch and its grabby. Try to catch it and it ends up being jerky.
Just my farthingsworth.

Thanks for your response, I didn't notice any lights - I think you may be right about the clutch - I had the same thing happen with the demo bike on a test ride and assumed it was just me being 'ham fisted'.

What a load of baloney

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Virtually impossible to get the front end up on mine in Dynamic, i have to go into enduro pro mode then it is surprisingly easy to hoik the front. similarly in Dynamic mode the traction is almost faultless.

I ride two-up and in Dynamic all the time and it hoiks some pretty big wheelies at times :cool: In Rain or Road the traction control is too obtrusive.

I ride two-up and in Dynamic all the time and it hoiks some pretty big wheelies at times :cool: In Rain or Road the traction control is too obtrusive.

Yep agree with that , had one the other day (solo) 100 plus off a rise and stayed up fine even with a gear change to top , had the TC off tho. With TC on you can still get it up but not always as if your too throttle heavy it does not like it , more of a balancing act and delicate with it on, but doable.

even in enduro pro traction / anti wheelie is a nuisance

and using that "almost normal motorcycling mode" unfortunately disables cruse control too, I solved it by selling the bike

even in enduro pro traction / anti wheelie is a nuisance

and using that "almost normal motorcycling mode" unfortunately disables cruse control too, I solved it by selling the bike

Never use the cruse control as its a bike not a car and feel i have enough throttle control to negate the option (tried it tho , horrible feeling ) . Turn it off (TC) but pity you have sold the bike now opps ...:thumb2:thumb2

To add tho the TC off option is a fun thing only as the TC in Dynamic is good , saves tyre wear , and also when pushing hard on the tyres we have ( limited choice) stops them giving up when lent over on the throttle .
I get the light on a lot but the TC is working which is good allows you to concentrate on the road ahead .

Never use the cruse control as its a bike not a car and feel i have enough throttle control to negate the option (tried it tho , horrible feeling ) . Turn it off (TC) but pity you have sold the bike now opps ...:thumb2:thumb2

To add tho the TC off option is a fun thing only as the TC in Dynamic is good , saves tyre wear , and also when pushing hard on the tyres we have ( limited choice) stops them giving up when lent over on the throttle .
I get the light on a lot but the TC is working which is good allows you to concentrate on the road ahead .
Nail on the head!!

I think that I may have worked out what's going on with the jerky progress during brisk acceleration - may be my boot putting pressure on the underside of the gear lever so that the quick-shifter kills the engine causing the jerking. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom