Should I, shouldn't I?

Tuckshop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2003 twin spark 1150RT with nothing wrong.
The ABS works fine, the Servo brakes work fine. Only have 63k on the clock. Worth what? £2000 - £2300?
Recently changed out the fuel pump and filter, went over and tidied up all the electrics & sorted out any iffy or frayed bits.
Stripped out the alarm system as that was giving out an odd squeak every once in a while.
Removed an aftermarket radio and OEM speakers as I could not hear much over 65mph with it on full blast - which made me cringe at slow speeds through traffic and built up areas.
Suspension is fine, no issues. Recently renewed the rear wheel big hub bearing.
Full 3x hard luggage boxes with a scrape or two but no leaks or hard damage.
I have since this photo changed the top box to a Hepco and Becker 52 litre which is colour matched, removed the orange stripes, fitted a voltmeter, hard wired a garmin satnav, fitted 2x standard ciggy lighter outlets into the glove box, (great big deep bugger ennitt!) fitted LED front lights and fitted a larger touring screen.

But I keep on being distracted by the 1200RT as it is 4 stone lighter...........

Is that enough reason to change I wonder?

The problem you have with not being able to go for a test ride on a 1200RT to find out for yourself needs to be addressed by a psychiatrist not just a motorcyclist.

It is possible that I have not understood your question........

The R1200RT weighs 259kg without the panniers and probably 269kg with the panniers - the liquid RT 279kg with panniers. How much does the 1150RT weigh? I have come across a figure of 279 kg, but I don't know whether it is with or without panniers. BMW had to change their measurement metric form the RT to the RT-LC which accounted for some of the apparent weight increase.

looking here the difference wet is 4.11 stone..

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_R1150rt 03.htm

The thoughts are because of the weight when shuffling the bike around it would make it somewhat easier but I was after some of the forum's thoughts on the pros & cons of each bike.

But yea, It would not surprise me in the least were I somewhat loopy..............

My 2005 R1200RT was a complete game-changer compared to my previous R1100RT. The engine is so much smoother at high revs and the handling is much more nimble. Exactly what one would expect after 10 years of technical advance.

Do not go for one of the early 1200RTs - go for the 2010-on? twin-cams if you can.

I liked having the radio and fitted an Autocom system wired into the speakers to listen. On my current machine I have a DAB radio which is crystal clear.

So how did the loss of the big glove box affect your use?

What does the "MU" in some bike descriptions mean?

Is an easy way to spot a twin cam model to look for the "vertical" plastic spark plug covers?

Can the big tank bag harness strap thing be removed? It sort of spoils the looks for me....

I do have an in helmet system which does allow me to use my phone and I have occasionally listened to music but it is not something I am used to doing. I use the satnav with the sound muted.

MU means Model Update...so bigger changes (TU means Technical Update)
The twin cam has a 2 bolt cylinder head cover, the single cam has a 4 bolt.(..but also the vertical black spark plug cover)

My two penneth on the swap....
If you've had your moneys worth out of the 1150 and are obviously somewhat 'concerned' about the extra 4 stone, go for the swap, a late 1200 hexhead will be superb.

The 1200 has more toys and is a good evolution of the 1150 engine wise but I prefer the handling of my similar to you 1150 than my old 12.... More natural... and as for the weight, it feels the same riding and moving and the 1150 is easier to put on the centre stand etc so I wouldn't go purely for that reason...

I've had both and preferred the 1150 for handling and the look of it.

do the 1200's have the same overdrive gearing? I love my 6th gear on the 1150R and would have liked that on my 1200 GS.

Don't know your budget, or whether you're hands on on maintenance, but I'd have a good look at the twin cam Rt (approx 2010 thru to start of the water-cooled).

LCs ride well, but quite a few gizmos that are beyond my ability/finance should they go wrong.

The link above seems a good price for a WC. Ex plod 15 plate ones are going for £5k plus, and in my view are overpriced at that

Back
Top Bottom