What next after Nav 6 - merged threads

beemerboy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
BMW could make a lot of money by doing away with the need to buy a separate Navigator complete with lifetime maps.

They would integrate the SatNav into the TFT display and charge us extra at point of purchase to have the Navigation function activated - just like with their cars.

We would then be able to have free map updates for a couple of years. After that we would have to go into a BMW service centre to have a new activation code and hand over, say, £250 for the latest maps - just like the cars.

Who would be up for that?

BMW could make a lot of money by doing away with the need to buy a separate Navigator complete with lifetime maps.

They would integrate the SatNav into the TFT display and charge us extra at point of purchase to have the Navigation function activated - just like with their cars.

We would then be able to have free map updates for a couple of years. After that we would have to go into a BMW service centre to have a new activation code and hand over, say, £250 for the latest maps - just like the cars.

Who would be up for that?

Not those of us who more than one bike, my Nav moves from bike to bike, even use it in my car, because the Nav is shite in there and isn't updatable.

What about us without the whizbang screens and who like the flexibility of a standalone gps device and the ability to make bespoke routes directly onto it.

More infotainment being foisted on us. Lean angles, gear changes, phone calls, music, how often the brakes were applied. It’s garbage and if this forum is anything to go by, half of the chimps can’t get it to work.

More infotainment being foisted on us. Lean angles, gear changes, phone calls, music, how often the brakes were applied. It’s garbage and if this forum is anything to go by, half of the chimps can’t get it to work.
Are you suggesting the tft is shite or Garmin is shite:nenau
I don’t know which is better but bmw will find a way to strip another few £ off people at some point
Either a yearly subscription or find a way to tear the app

I have never owned a bike with a tft screen, though I have no objection to them per-se.
What I do like is the separation of my gps device from that of my phone. I also like and understand Garmin devices.

I have never owned a bike with a tft screen, though I have no objection to them per-se.
What I do like is the separation of my gps device from that of my phone. I also like and understand Garmin devices.

Now that I do agree with don’t fancy having my route followed by tracking on my phone as one would expect even if it is from one bmw dealer to another

I think you'll find what BMW deliver - restrictions of what their kit will work with - (oh no you can't use the jog wheel unless you buy a bmw headset etc) and you must have things (display and route on screen to the option) the way zee germans think is best is the perfect way to ailienate your audience.

life was so much simpler when pub bragging was about chicken strips and sparkly knee sliders

My 1600 has its Garmin based navigation device built into its dashboard. That it lifts out too, is excellent.

I am one of said chimps who can't get it to work, at least not consistently. I smugly figured that my long working career in the tech industy would have me posting comments about how flawless the BMW connectivity works for me, alas I can't even get the dash to remember it's been paired to my phone let alone do much else with it. If the response from BMW is anything to go by, it's quite a prolific issue so I'd prefer they fixed the current issues before integrating more stuff into the dash.

Being a bit of a tech nerd, I welcome the extra features, as long as they aren't forced upon you. I've never been a fan of the Garmin satnavs, but I've also never had an issue getting the Nav6 to work. Some days I would be happy if the nav info was on the TFT, but generally I prefer it on a separate screen also. Even if they enlarge the screen I think it'll be a little too "busy" if you're just trying to glance at it and see the rough route showing. On the videos being shared of the supposed new dash I'm not a fan personally.

I think the Nav6 is the final iteration in its current format

Anything new now, could be done via firmware and software.

Yes as a retrofit device, it offers potential, but it's like the early mobile phones,

Firm A makes it, Firm B adds its branding and bloatware and its a million miles away from what was intended, so no one likes it.

Integration with the mobile phone will become more rigid in the future, as the connected world gets smaller.

I can see the logic behind it, but its at what price, money is immaterial , privacy is not

I think the busyness of the new TFT screen is the issue. There again, so far we have seen only one iteration of the screen in use.

I can see the whole set-up as being of interest and value to those bods who like to just ask the software on their phone to give them a route A to B or A to E, via the letters in between, and just accept it. How good the BMW routeplanning software will be, for those that want to plot their own routes (or import routes from third party software) is unknown.

Several bods also regularly ask how much data running navigational software uses up, particularly abroad. Some app’s use very little, some considerably more.

How easy it will be to share BMW created routes with others is another factor. GPX files (whilst not perfect) are pretty reliable; I hope that BMW make the ability to share - and accept - routes outside of a BMW environment, possible and easy.

Having your phone go flat.... that is the real fly in the ointment.

Anyway, early days as yet. All will no doubt be revealed.

I think the busyness of the new TFT screen is the issue. There again, so far we have seen only one iteration of the screen in use.

I can see the whole set-up as being of interest and value to those bods who like to just ask the software on their phone to give them a route A to B or A to E, via the letters in between, and just accept it. How good the BMW routeplanning software will be, for those that want to plot their own routes (or import routes from third party software) is unknown.

Several bods also regularly ask how much data running navigational software uses up, particularly abroad. Some app’s use very little, some considerably more.

How easy it will be to share BMW created routes with others is another factor. GPX files (whilst not perfect) are pretty reliable; I hope that BMW make the ability to share - and accept - routes outside of a BMW environment, possible and easy.

Having your phone go flat.... that is the real fly in the ointment.

Anyway, early days as yet. All will no doubt be revealed.

Currently the BMW Connected app allows you to share routes/tracks as GPX files but I agree that putting the reliance on the mobile device for both the data connection and the GPS (I think) has potential issues even if the map downloads are available.

One thing I noticed from the recent podcast BMW did was that one of the questions was "can we have our routes etc stored in the cloud to make it easier to move between devices etc" and their response was basically that the data only stays on the phone and they are keen for it to stay that way for security reasons.

Looking at a basic safety issue.

Quick glance down at the standard TFT is relatively safe.

I might spend a fraction longer looking at the Sat Nav. Therefore the higher the better as I still have the road in my peripheral vision. That is achieved with the current set up.

Sat Nav integrated in the TFT means head buried down for longer and a reduction in peripheral vision.

Back
Top Bottom