V-Strom 650

I have owned a 2014 DL650 for a few years now. I've tweaked it to work for me. Lowered pegs, bar risers, Sgt seat, etc etc etc.
I can commute on this bike with ease (Ive covered 22k miles). It is comfy, fast enough, reliable, and economical.
Not that I would use this instead of my GSA if I was touring but I certainly could if I wanted. Got to say its one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Highly recommended.

Interested in this thread as I've been offered a very tempting deal on a new 650 V-Strom (basic model) by my local dealer.
The idea is to use this as my year round workhorse so the plan would be to get her coated in ACF50 every October. I'd need to add hand guards, heated grips and crash bars so that'll have to be factored into the cost as well.
Anyone on here use theirs year round and if so how's she holding up?
As well as the standard 3 year warranty that can be extended by up to 7 years, F.O.C., if you get the bike serviced annually at a Suzuki dealer.

Interested in this thread as I've been offered a very tempting deal on a new 650 V-Strom (basic model) by my local dealer.
The idea is to use this as my year round workhorse so the plan would be to get her coated in ACF50 every October. I'd need to add hand guards, heated grips and crash bars so that'll have to be factored into the cost as well.
Anyone on here use theirs year round and if so how's she faring up?
As well as the standard 3 year warranty that can be extended by up to 7 years, F.O.C., if you get the bike serviced annually at a Suzuki dealer.

V Strom 1050 owner here - that is the first I have heard of the extended warranty. Do you have a link to the T&C's?

V Strom 1050 owner here - that is the first I have heard of the extended warranty. Do you have a link to the T&C's?

Sorry, I don't. It was something I was told today.
Whether it just applies to bikes registered from now I don't know but it certainly adds to the appeal of the deal.

Sorry, I don't. It was something I was told today.
Whether it just applies to bikes registered from now I don't know but it certainly adds to the appeal of the deal.

Might be a dealer thing - who was it? If you don't mind me asking :)

Might be a dealer thing - who was it? If you don't mind me asking :)

No, it's definitely a Suzuki thing.

Edit: I suspect they're following the lead of one of the car manufacturers who have been advertising something similar on the radio recently though theirs definitely includes non new sales and also extends to those who have missed a service.

my 650 is now 6+yrs old. only 18,000 mls on it but out every month of th year. coated with acf50 or xcp every november and still looks good. an excellent all rounder, just go for it.

my 650 is now 6+yrs old. only 18,000 mls on it but out every month of th year. coated with acf50 or xcp every november and still looks good. an excellent all rounder, just go for it.

Excellent, TY.

A big potential stumbling block is the cost of the panniers. has anyone found any cheaper alternatives than the SW Motech/Kappa/Givi options? I'm not bothered about the look of them, they just need to be functional & cheap.

Excellent, TY.

A big potential stumbling block is the cost of the panniers. has anyone found any cheaper alternatives than the SW Motech/Kappa/Givi options? I'm not bothered about the look of them, they just need to be functional & cheap.

Get some old Givi E36's off ebay. They are as tough as old boots - should find good ones for £50 each with both keys.

Excellent, TY.

i just have a top box but would be better with panniers instead for getting my old leg over (the bike).:D

Why not buy a used example that already has luggage and probably a load of other desirable extras and save a bundle of cash. There are plenty about.

Why not buy a used example that already has luggage and probably a load of other desirable extras and save a bundle of cash. There are plenty about.

A combination of reasons tbh.
This will almost certainly be the last bike I buy so new with the potential 7 year warranty is very appealing and the deal I've been offered makes the difference between new and 2nd hand so small as to render the 2nd hand option virtually redundant.
The truth is I don't particularly want a V Strom as I have 1200 TC GSA* and the 2 bikes are very similar.
I'm part exchanging a currently non running 400 Burgman which I absolutely love but the servicing costs and price of parts mean it's time for it to go. I'd like another maxi scooter but they're just too expensive to buy and run while the 650 V Strom is neither of these things.
As I mentioned I'll be using the bike all year round and it's really difficult to get to the bits of a scooter that suffer with salt and grime to ACF50 them whereas a 'normal' bike will be much easier to do and the cost to get a new V Strom makes it the best option of that sort of bike.
Another thing in favour of the Suzuki is that it will give s degree of weather protection during winter, better than a naked bike but not as good as a scooter.

* I don't want to use the BMW through the winter months.

They still make them now. Probably one of the last V-twins out there. Such a shame it's an engine which is dissapearing as they're fabulous. But expensive to manufacture.

The V-strom is a stronkingly good value bike. Legendary Suzuki reliabilty and build quality. I've had a couple. They're not exhilerating but they do everything well and keep doing it for many years without issue.

Back
Top Bottom