A solo week in the Picos

Daxaar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I like to keep my plans flexible when I go away (usually solo unless my son is riding pillion). But to describe this years trip as one of indecision would be a monumental understatement.

Anyway, the ferry had been booked for ages from Plymouth to Santander 13th September with the return to Portsmouth a week later. The return got changed by BF due to the inevitable but the date was the same and I would just be arriving back in Plymouth rather than Portsmouth. Slightly longer crossing and further schlep home but absolutely no big deal.

Original plan was to kick around the Picos for a week and without boring anyone with the detail of how this instead became a trip through the Picos to Portugal, then became a trip across Southern France camping, then reverted back to the original plan only decided at the time of disembarking in Santander is a story for another day when everyone is truely bored.

Anyway to keep you mildly entertained for now here are some pics so far. To give some context, I'm typing this on the evening of Monday 14th September having just arrived in Ojedo this afternoon.

Lunch of champions at the services. Socially distanced by eating it in the dog walking area as all the benches were taken by the crowds. Think on your feet, just don't sit in the shit! :thumb2

1 - food_of_champions.jpg

Don't ask about the Ortlieb...

2 - dont_ask.jpg

I brought the GT in July having spent 2 years trying to turn by 1290 SDR into a tourer. The 210 mile run down to Plymouth was easily as comfortable as any day in the saddle on the GSA. I really do love this bike.

Sat in the queue for about 5 minutes before being ushered to the front so they could get the bikes loaded first :beerjug: This will bite us on the other side.

3 -20200913_150027.jpg

My life for the next 24 hours. Don't worry I'll make sure this is the only one with my ugly boat race in it...

4 - 20200913_161413.jpg

Bye bye UK, see you in a week with a bit of luck...

5 - byebye_uk.jpg

Brought some friends along for the crossing...

6 - brought_some_friends_along.jpg

We'll have plenty more of this please...

7 - plenty_more_please.jpg

Have Fun, bit of thunder and lightning about tonight, but tomorrow looks fine

Crossing was uneventful. Bit choppy as I dozed off but otherwise nice and calm. Good job as I don't have particularly great sea legs. Everything on the boat is open as normal with the exception of the posh lounge/restaurant at the back. And thanks for small mercies the pianist is obviously still on furlough.

OK, all going great but remember that thing about being bitten by loading the bikes first. Well it turned into a 1.5 hour wait on the car deck to upload with the most unwelcoming smell of rank fish imaginable. This delay wasn't anything to do with the temperature checks as those were dispensed in quick time. Just one of those things. Finally off the boat and having finally made my mind up on where the fuck I was going I headed in the general direction of Potes. Although no accommodation was booked at this point.

As you'll see in the last photo this has turned out quite nicely with me grabbing a self contained "apartment" in Ojedo. Plenty of miserable git socially distanced days ahead for me.

Anyway, have some more pics...

Jumped off the motorway at Torrelavega and took a meandering route down the CA180 (tedious) then over the CA-282 (much more like it) onto the N-621 down towards Potes.

Never let it be said that I don't know how to find the scenic routes...

8 - ugly.jpg

That's more like it...

10 - first view.jpg

Jeez that screen looks HUGE when you take photos in wide angle. Does the job a treat on the motorways though but definitely loses out in the looks dept compared with the KTM powerpart smoked version.

11 - that screen looks huge on widescreen shots.jpg

If in doubt, cook yer own dinner...

13 - social distancing food.jpg

Back
Top Bottom