Dyneema fabrics?

TomP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just been watching the cycling Tour de France on tv. A rider crashed badly on a bend and slid quite a long way on his side. TV pictures showed shortly after that he’d got nasty road rash on his arm and hip, but his white cycling jersey (Team Sunweb) was unscathed and still pretty clean. He’d not had time to change it before the cameras were on him, either.

Commentator David Millar said he understood that Team Sunweb used race jerseys made with Dyneema, which is apparently “a next generation version of Kevlar”. I’d not heard of it before. You can perhaps see where I’m heading: anyone have any first-hand experience of Dyneema in any motorcycling clothing?

A quick search didn’t reveal many manufacturers mentioning it in their specifications.

Cheers.

Tom

Just been watching the cycling Tour de France on tv. A rider crashed badly on a bend and slid quite a long way on his side. TV pictures showed shortly after that he’d got nasty road rash on his arm and hip, but his white cycling jersey (Team Sunweb) was unscathed and still pretty clean. He’d not had time to change it before the cameras were on him, either.

Commentator David Millar said he understood that Team Sunweb used race jerseys made with Dyneema, which is apparently “a next generation version of Kevlar”. I’d not heard of it before. You can perhaps see where I’m heading: anyone have any first-hand experience of Dyneema in any motorcycling clothing?

A quick search didn’t reveal many manufacturers mentioning it in their specifications.

Cheers.

Tom

Dyneema has a higher tensile strength than Kevlar and also has a lower coefficient of friction. So, in a low-speed slide it might well perform better than Kevlar. However, Dyneema is an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene with a melting point temperature in the region of 150C whereas Kevlar doesn't melt at all - that means that if you slide along the asphalt at motorcycle speeds wearing Dyneema as an external layer, it will probably melt and offer low abrasion resistance.

Dyneema as a material rather than as a thread doesn’t breathe at all... it would be like wearing a plastic bag....

It’s used for single skin tents. Mainly US manufacturers rather than European. Zpacks are a good example.

Dyneema has a higher tensile strength than Kevlar and also has a lower coefficient of friction. So, in a low-speed slide it might well perform better than Kevlar. However, Dyneema is an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene with a melting point temperature in the region of 150C whereas Kevlar doesn't melt at all - that means that if you slide along the asphalt at motorcycle speeds wearing Dyneema as an external layer, it will probably melt and offer low abrasion resistance.

UHMWPE, rolls off the tongue. It’s used as a chute liner in some mineral processing plants as it has a low coefficient of friction. We have used it in coal plants. Very clever some of these plastics

Dynema has been around for Ages,

i used to use it back in the 80's as kite line as it dosent stretch and is highly abrasion resistant

I believe parachute cords are also made from dynema

It isnt cheap, and wasnt then £50 for two kite lines (500 odd feet)

Used a lot in sailing/yachting as the core for halyards, sheets etc.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom