Hyperpro Rear shock spring replace

LawrenceMark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 1999 GS 1100.When I bought the bike it came with a new front and rear Hyperpro springs still in their boxes and the spring compression tool.
Having just got back from a 2 week tour around the UK I decided it was time to fit new springs. 2 up with luggage bottomed the suspension out a few times.

I have found a couple of posts but still can't see for the life of me how to get the rear one apart. I can see a grubscrew next to the remote adjuster fitting which I backed off but compressing the spring does not make it obvious how to get it apart.I understand it's held in with a checirclip but can't see how.
How far do I need to compress them?

I did actually manage to compress them from the wrong end at first and discovered that the rubber bump stop that sits inside has completely disintegrated. Any suggestions on this?

Many thanks. Mark.
31d4468b65128cd4f656a202d0ba99c9.jpg
af5bca0a0159c4baef106fb1d31a130f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Did you ever have the shock rebuilt? Damping may be unable to deal with the stiffer spring, they were built down to a price really. That unit looks a bit past its best - maybe consider an upgrade?

Never done the standard spring, but I change the spring over on my Wilbers shock (ready for two-up touring with all the gear) using a spring compressor; compress the spring and pull out the collet. You can see how it works in the pic.

48535415297_9cf2781bb0_b.jpg

Well, not that easy to remove like on the aftermarket shocks...
You need sprig press and special collar that will allow removing C clip from under the preload adjuster.
Normal spring compressor tool will only damage your new shiny springs.
If you need more advice just let me know...
With that kind of age, shock rebuild would be recommended spring alone won't fix suspension properly.

looks like the oil is gone from the preload adjuster that will be fun to replace because there is no bleed screw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom