Odd Running Issue

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not even sure if this is an issue or if its me thinking it.

Anyway bike a 2010 R1200GS runs excellent, when giving it the beans through the corners feels lovely and lots of poke no issues. However when on the open road and following cars at say 65mph on the speedo the bike feels like its lumpy and just not running smoothly. Give it some and its fine let it ease off to say 55mph on speedo and same thing. Am i just imagining this or is it actually doing this? If it is anything i can check? Could it be the throttle bodies needing balancing??

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Covered nearly 200miles on the bike today and like i say on the open flowing road its just briliiant to be back on a GS.

Mine does the same between 4-5000 revs. If I remember correctly its to do with the way its been setup for emission control.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

most bikes have areas of the power and torque curve where emission and noise regs meant the manufactures bodged up the fuelling or ignition curve to sneak past homologation rules

its disgusting and unnecessary - aside for the stupid rules that don't catch real polluters - all it does is make the motorcycle unpleasant and more dangerous than it needs to be.

Its why so many sensible owners look at methods to resolve the deliberately designed in faults. When correctly fixed it will be faster and more fun with a lot more midrange power and flexibility. The easiest / best solution is to fit these

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1200.html

most bikes have areas of the power and torque curve where emission and noise regs meant the manufactures bodged up the fuelling or ignition curve to sneak past homologation rules

its disgusting and unnecessary - aside for the stupid rules that don't catch real polluters - all it does is make the motorcycle unpleasant and more dangerous than it needs to be.

Its why so many sensible owners look at methods to resolve the deliberately designed in faults. When correctly fixed it will be faster and more fun with a lot more midrange power and flexibility. The easiest / best solution is to fit these

Agree totally but at 300 plus pounds for 2 of them its an expensive repair!! I get the feeling the developers are totally getting the arm in!

I would have bought them for my GS but cannot justify £300 !!

Anyway bike a 2010 R1200GS runs excellent, when giving it the beans through the corners feels lovely and lots of poke no issues. However when on the open road and following cars at say 65mph on the speedo the bike feels like its lumpy and just not running smoothly. Give it some and its fine let it ease off to say 55mph on speedo and same thing. Am i just imagining this or is it actually doing this? If it is anything i can check? Could it be the throttle bodies needing balancing??

Covered nearly 200miles on the bike today and like i say on the open flowing road its just briliiant to be back on a GS.

Any imbalance in airflow or fuel flow can create symptoms like yours. Do you have both O2 sensors connected? Have you made any other changes that could affect fueling.

Make sure your throttle bodies are in sync, that there's not a leak in the charcoal canister plumbing and run a couple tanks of Techron Plus fuel injector cleaner (1ounce per gallon), then see where you're at.

Agree totally but at 300 plus pounds for 2 of them its an expensive repair!! I get the feeling the developers are totally getting the arm in!

I'm kinda with you on that one

But then I nearly spent £200 on a pair of gore tex gloves. So maybe my properties are all over the place

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mine have done over 100K miles now spread over 2 bikes. and they could be sold should I ever change to a different make of bike, at that I think they are a bargain.

Any imbalance in airflow or fuel flow can create symptoms like yours. Do you have both O2 sensors connected? Have you made any other changes that could affect fueling.

Make sure your throttle bodies are in sync, that there's not a leak in the charcoal canister plumbing and run a couple tanks of Techron Plus fuel injector cleaner (1ounce per gallon), then see where you're at.

Roger the UK bikes are not fitted with charcoal canister`s. They are reserved for your side of the pond.:)

If it's just started doing it do a full service, oils, filters, sparkplugs. Get the valve clearances done and then the throttle bodies balanced.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I had similar issues with a 2005 GS and did the following and it is a lot better..bit of an understatement really....

Valves
Changed all 4 plugs
Throttle body sync
Changed secondary coils...big difference!!
2 weeks later changed primary coils getting better...
Added a a bottle of injector cleaner (cheap stuff from Halfords) and now we are there...as smooth as you can get with a big twin.

I bought the coil sticks from sparkplugs dot co dot UK

The lady said go for the Champion ones as they are the same as the Beru ones and they worked out at about £50 each NEW!!!

The changes above have transformed the bike and it is a pleasure to ride again.

I have know connection to sparkplugs other than being a happy customer

Dave

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Mine have done over 100K miles now spread over 2 bikes. and they could be sold should I ever change to a different make of bike, at that I think they are a bargain.
Good point!

Anyone selling?!

Virus story allowing, I'm off to Italy for the 3rd time in as many months. It would have been a really interesting experiment to have tried one of these. Alternating with/without and looking at feel/performance/fuel consumption. Especially poignant as having to run some of that E10 sometimes! And I am a worrier

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Cheers Botus, had a set of these on my previous GSA also a TC and it was nice, however I don’t recall that bike being like this at normal cruising speeds.

It’s a nightmare as the bike is just so nice and powerful in open play when not stuck behind A line of cages.

If we’re ever allowed back in the states I might pick up a set and keep a hold of them this time👍

Hi Roger,

Changes are a bmw Akra with standard downpipes but flapper removed.

O2 sensors remain and I believe are working which I’m led to believe is the case given how nice it is on open flowing roads.

The canister you mention I’m not sure on do I will need to do some investigating in this.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts much appreciated 👍

If it's just started doing it do a full service, oils, filters, sparkplugs. Get the valve clearances done and then the throttle bodies balanced.

Hi Topcat, just had it fully stripped down as I had Mikey work his magic on the FD. So thought I would do it all. Full service including valve checks all good plugs looking nice. Four of the shins were just slightly out so adjusted these all into tolerance and must admit she sounds much happier.

Haven’t balanced throttle bodies as don’t currently have a gauge so think I will try and source one.

Remember the last RT I had was a little like this but it was the last of the hexheads and not a TC. Got the ECU mapped and it felt so much better, far better pull low down in high gear and just much smoother.

Think I might try the same again.

Hi Topcat, just had it fully stripped down as I had Mikey work his magic on the FD. So thought I would do it all. Full service including valve checks all good plugs looking nice. Four of the shins were just slightly out so adjusted these all into tolerance and must admit she sounds much happier.

Haven’t balanced throttle bodies as don’t currently have a gauge so think I will try and source one.

Remember the last RT I had was a little like this but it was the last of the hexheads and not a TC. Got the ECU mapped and it felt so much better, far better pull low down in high gear and just much smoother.

Think I might try the same again.
I think it's worth it. I'd be balancing the TB first - you've changed everything else so.it will have an effect.

well, I think they could have got it better from the factory, but you should try the KTM1290. Oh my goodness in town it can do some special stuff. Just off a closed throttle say 2k rpm it can hunt and stutter like its should be in having its diagnostics taken and a thousand quid's worth of new bits to fix it..... how any one (even an Austrian) can let that out of the building is just remarkable..

Got the throttle bodies synchronised today with my new homemade manometer. GS911 pain in the behind getting it upto operating temp but that was the hardest part.

Did over 80miles tonight and feels much better.

Back
Top Bottom