Differences between the 'mark 2' 2008 GS and the 'mark 1' 2004-2007. Mark 1 better?!

LBJ GSA

Reaction score
10 years+ on a 2004 GS. Absolute love story with zero maintenance issues / costs. 2 months on a 2008 (which I love), but starting to think the 'mark 1' was actually a better bike overall and BMW didn't need to mess with a winning formula?

Differences I've noticed so far: Let me know if you agree / disagree or have noticed other differences.

1. 5 BHP more on the 2008 - Can't argue with that.
2. Sharper steering angle on 2008 - Makes the bike steer quicker through the bends? Preferred the lazier handling of the 2004.
3. Shorter side stand on the 2008 - Bike leans over more (not ideal on some uneven surfaces) and it's therefor more of a lifting exercise to get the bike off the side stand.
4. Handlebars less 'generous' on the 2008 - Slightly further away from the rider and therefor not quite as relaxed / comfortable. (To compound this, bar riser / backs options are slightly less generous too!). Strange decision BMW.
5. No hazard warning function on my 2008, but I had it on my 2004. Perhaps an option which was not specified by the original owner?
6. Fuel strip design fault!!!!! Didn't have a problem with my 2004 in 10+ years, but the 2008 fuel strip has failed in month 2 of ownership! Presumably the 2004 has a traditional float? (Not covered by 12 year warranty in the UK, unlike the USA). £200-300 repair and high likelihood it will repeatedly fail! Some owners reporting to be on their 10th fuel strip!
7. 2008 has LED rear light - A good upgrade I guess.
8. 2008 doesn't use the servo assisted ABS system - which I don't miss! (Understand from a forum member that they ceased using that in 2007)

Have I missed anything?

LBJ.

Press both indicator switches at the same time for hazards. At least this is what my 06 does.
Move the handlebars towards you a little maybe.
Fit a puck to side stand
08 doesn't have the servo/abs system which my 06 has.

Press both indicator switches at the same time for hazards. At least this is what my 06 does.
Move the handlebars towards you a little maybe.
Fit a puck to side stand
08 doesn't have the servo/abs system which my 06 has.

Good point Gazza re the servo ABS system. That was a 'worry' on my 04, but I had the bike serviced annually by BMW to mitigate that as much as I could. I think overall, I don't miss that.
I have rotated the handlebars towards me and fitted MV Verholen risers / backs which improves comfort, but it's not quite as generous as the mark 1 04-07 riding position.
Definitely needs a side stand extender! What were they thinking fitting a shorter side stand??!

10 years+ on a 2004 GS. Absolute love story with zero maintenance issues / costs. 2 months on a 2008 (which I love), but starting to think the 'mark 1' was actually a better bike overall and BMW didn't need to mess with a winning formula?

Differences I've noticed so far: Let me know if you agree / disagree or have noticed other differences.

1. 5 BHP more on the 2008 - Can't argue with that.
2. Sharper steering angle on 2008 - Makes the bike steer quicker through the bends? Preferred the lazier handling of the 2004.
3. Shorter side stand on the 2008 - Bike leans over more (not ideal on some uneven surfaces) and it's therefor more of a lifting exercise to get the bike off the side stand.
4. Handlebars less 'generous' on the 2008 - Slightly further away from the rider and therefor not quite as relaxed / comfortable. (To compound this, bar riser / backs options are slightly less generous too!). Strange decision BMW.
5. No hazard warning function on my 2008, but I had it on my 2004. Perhaps an option which was not specified by the original owner?
6. Fuel strip design fault!!!!! Didn't have a problem with my 2004 in 10+ years, but the 2008 fuel strip has failed in month 2 of ownership! Presumably the 2004 has a traditional float? (Not covered by 12 year warranty in the UK, unlike the USA). £200-300 repair and high likelihood it will repeatedly fail! Some owners reporting to be on their 10th fuel strip!
7. 2008 has LED rear light - A good upgrade I guess.

Have I missed anything?

LBJ.
Gearbox different
Esa?
Cluster different
Cardan different
Hand guards

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Gearbox different
Esa?
Cluster different
Cardan different
Hand guards

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Good point Saitman. The gearbox is indeed slicker than the mark 1 and I did notice the hand guards were not quite as chunky / generous. Speedo and rev counter fascia has additional white details, perhaps to make them easier to read? Looks busy compared to the original clocks (to me). No ESA on mine, but was of course available as an option.

the 2007 bike I guess ought to be the mk2
with the super ugly mk3 coming in 2008 with a transformed gearbox

not that you need it but 2007 onwards can have traction control (even an optional retrofit from the dealer)

would love to know if the 2004 reg comes up as OK to drive into London's ULEZ

My 2006 reg ‘Mk1’ was the smoothest of the trio I’ve owned, other than that I was glad to be rid of the servo when I swapped to my 58 reg ‘Mk2’. Current 11 reg twin cam is the best of the bunch. My Mk1 had a sensor ring failure, the only problem with all three.

You missed mainstand location

On the 2005-2007 bikes, putting it on mainstand was dreadful.
On 2008 onwards gses they changed the mainstand geometry back to what it had been on previous incarnations of the bike, and it was, once again easy to put on mainstand.
RTs sell fewer, so they did not carry this improvement onto them.

On 2008 onwards gses they changed the mainstand geometry back to what it had been on previous incarnations of the bike, and it was, once again easy to put on mainstand.
RTs sell fewer, so they did not carry this improvement onto them.

must be to 2006 or earlier - my 2007 (not the ugly one) is the easiest bike I've ever owned to put on its centre stand, far easier than a honda 125 of pretty much any vintage - it literally almost falls on to it just by thinking about it (even with 50kg of luggage on) , if you want a work out try a Honda CB250 RSA or a K1300GT

Really?
I have a 2007 GSA and I can put it on the centre stand while sitting on the bike if I want (party trick). It comes up pretty easily.

Sorry, my 05 shows as incurring 12.50 per day

The 1150s are compliant, back to 2002 at least. Yours should too.
Search on the forum, you should be able to obtain the certification letter from BMW and you can send that to TfL.

The MK 2 also has a final drive drain plug to avoid having to split the drive and turn through 90 degrees to drain the oil. Not sure if the MK1 has a different breather in the drive.

The only final drive with a breather is the twin cam.
The mk 2 &3 have a larger pinion bearing than the mk 1.
The wheel side FD bearing on the Mk 3 is in the oil bath, Mk 1 & 2 are sealed for life bearings. ( life is very short if you pressure wash the FD).

The MK 2 also has a final drive drain plug to avoid having to split the drive and turn through 90 degrees to drain the oil. Not sure if the MK1 has a different breather in the drive.

Good thing about not having a drain plug is that it forces you to expose the splines, wether you choose to grease them at the same time is up to you.

I always greased them btw

Is there a 2004 with a servo still working? I thought mine was the last . Then it failed last year. Plumbed direct now.

I literally cant wait till I can afford another bike. My 2004 is not very fast . Im incredibly board out of my skin riding it now.

Back
Top Bottom