Drive flange recall

db-89

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
pulled my rear drive apart today to realise the rear flange is still aluminium and not steel and cracked into shite. Just wondering has anyone had issues getting the recall done lately? Mine is cracked on all but 1 bolt hole and it lost a bolt too:mad:

My hexhead was about 5 years out of warranty, as it was being previously serviced by a Triumph/Honda dealer.

The flange was replaced, with no argument.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Had mine replaced at BMW dealers last year, Bike is a 2005 without a service history. Whilst they were there they looked at the fuel pump recall and replaced the pump due to a cracked fitting. No issues at all, in fact they were glad to help out.

If it was a recall

If it was a recall and not fixed, it will be done recalls are not time limited

pulled my rear drive apart today to realise the rear flange is still aluminium and not steel and cracked into shite. Just wondering has anyone had issues getting the recall done lately? Mine is cracked on all but 1 bolt hole and it lost a bolt too:mad:

Phone your local dealer with your frame number This was a safety campaign

The twin cams already had the steel drive flange fitted from the factory. :)
If in doubt try a magnet on it.

No they didn’t , my 2010 tc had the recall and swap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

64296e350afe4e43e4cc42dd1af0bf8f.jpg

Started using steel April 2010 , alloy phased out April 2011

I take that back, as it was a safety issue and the steel flange was introduced early 2010 I did not realise that BMW had continued to fit a dangerous part for another year. :eek:

I had the ali flange changed on my '05 and asked if I could keep it as I thought it would make an attractive paperweight (or something). wasn't allowed as it apparently had to go back to prove it had been done.

More likely, they don't want the possibility of it entering the second hand market.

Better go an check the one on my '09 has been done

I take that back, as it was a safety issue and the steel flange was introduced early 2010 I did not realise that BMW had continued to fit a dangerous part for another year. :eek:

What is scary is that it took another 5 years before BMW issued the recall.

As above my 07 with many owners 32k miles and alot of diy servicing went to main dealer when i bought it for a service and they told me it had not been done so they rectified the issue, BMW guildford, also while it was aprt they replaced the rear disk with no extra charge for labour.

As above my 07 with many owners 32k miles and alot of diy servicing went to main dealer when i bought it for a service and they told me it had not been done so they rectified the issue, BMW guildford, also while it was aprt they replaced the rear disk with no extra charge for labour.

Big result,
Given the old disc needed removing from the old hub.
Bet they charged for new bolts:D

The thing with recalls is that they extinguish I believe after 10 years , so this would be 2025 , some report that the 1980’s r100 front wheel recall is still being honoured although only available in Gold

I had the ali flange changed on my '05 and asked if I could keep it as I thought it would make an attractive paperweight (or something). wasn't allowed as it apparently had to go back to prove it had been done.

More likely, they don't want the possibility of it entering the second hand market.

Better go an check the one on my '09 has been done

I’m sad I know but the DVSA guidelines are :

Disposal of parts Key features:
u Give dealers clear storage, disabling and disposal instructions u A disabled part presents no risk
u Make the risk clear to your dealership staff
It is essential that the consequences of a successful safety recall are considered. During many recall actions a “recalled” part is removed and an approved replacement is fitted. Therefore, consideration has to be given to the displaced recalled part, its secure disposal and security. This will safeguard the dealership against the risk of the displaced parts being used for purposes that they were not intended and perhaps finding their way back into the market place.
DVSA would recommend that instructions from the producer and/or distributors should be placed on each safety recall bulletin and should include:
u Whether the part should be returned to the producers and/or distributors or how it should be stored at the dealership (security instructions) including details of how long it should be retained
u Instructions on the method to be used to disable the part and when this should occur u Security of parts once removed from the parts department i.e. away from public access u Disposal should be arranged through an approved disposal agent
u A receipt should be retained to show safe disposal

does pressing in the new part help destroy the bearings.... I expect the main aim is to get you to buy a new bevel

I've had it on two bikes the GS now rattles and clonks twice as badly as it did and the wheel bearings are now gone on the K1300

does pressing in the new part help destroy the bearings.... I expect the main aim is to get you to buy a new bevel

I've had it on two bikes the GS now rattles and clonks twice as badly as it did and the wheel bearings are now gone on the K1300
Funny you said that , after my flange recall I had to send by bevel to Mikeboy.

I think that what its about.... mine is VERY odd, it was always clonky but after the flange change the slop (backlash / rotation of the back wheel) went from outrageous to f*** me when will this break.

Back
Top Bottom