why is the standard seat so uncomfortable?

I find the stock seat on my 1250 GS comfy for about 7-8 hours riding, whereas the one on my 1200 GS LC was only good for about half that.

I did have a low Sargent seat for a while, but found it too wide as the edges dug into my upper thigh and caused my sciatica to flare up. My missus found the pillion seat uncomfortable too

Same seats

One thing I do find helps a lot is when I go out in my leathers instead of my jeans. The jeans are stretch and start to pull where as the leathers don't and you don't get the same sore spot issues.

soft is not always the best. Too soft and you sink into it and it kind of pulls your skin. Also the angle you sit on the seat has a lot to do with it. Too much upright and all the weights on the back and base of the spine. thats why high front, low back works. The std GS seats also tend to be high in the middle where as I find flay and wide works better for me.
I've tried everything and think my Sargent seat is the best but not perfect by a long shot.
I did thousands on miles on my R100rs in the 80's and that was like a plank, but one on the best seats I've ever had?? :nenau

aah, but you were a lad then.

If anyone wants a little used Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT seat, I will shortly be advertising it in the For Sale section?
This was on my 2019 GSTE, but since changing to a GSA and changing the seat position (high on front/low on back), after just over 900 miles I have concluded that I no longer need it. I paid €393 for it.

I find the seat on my 1200 GS is good for all day riding well about 450 - 500 miles. I have found that what you wear can make a big difference. I find a decent set of textiles work best and jeans with Kevlar worst.

I have just ordered a Russell Day Long seat for my GS all the Iron But guys swear by them.
I will pop on a photo f two once I get it and have tried it out.

I find the seat on my 1200 GS is good for all day riding well about 450 - 500 miles. I have found that what you wear can make a big difference. I find a decent set of textiles work best and jeans with Kevlar worst.

I agree... something that will not stretch is best... My jeans give me hell after an hour or so.

I found the standard seat useless after 2 hours, bought a comfort seat and now it’s all day long comfy

Had my 1250 Rallye seat reshaped and fitted with an air pad. Superb.

Attachments

• 602103D4-8167-4DA0-B833-E45148F93CCB.jpg
    602103D4-8167-4DA0-B833-E45148F93CCB.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 366
I agree... something that will not stretch is best... My jeans give me hell after an hour or so.

I have been wearing jeans on the two rides i've done on it.

Will be giving the textiles a go at the weekend and see if it improves

High front low back works well for me.

I've had a couple of aftermarket seats, non really delivered, so I've gone back to exactly this on the standard seat, I do have genuine cool cover to for the summer, and it works very well, I can do a full bladder trip on my GSA.

Also suggested to a few other mates on here, who have tried it and also found it to be an improvement.

The LC seat is 60mm wider than the old hexhead seat, so it chafes on you inner thighs after long distances.

Even with padded pants it still makes your arse ache - (std seat with some foam removed)

i tried the TTkahedo ultralow seat - there's not a lot of padding in it though ;)

its very hard, i haven't tried it on a long distance run perhaps it may have bedded in lol

i rode 280 on Sat with the textiles on and I tried the high front, low back set up and it made a marked improvement to the comfort.

Thanks for the heads up!

Would you be able to let me know who or which company did this for you ?

Thanks in adavance.

Saddlecraft in South Shields, Tyne & Wear. 0191 455 6262 Tell him Paul with the Air Seat on the GS Rallye recommended you.

i did Kent to Landsend on Saturday and then back to the other side of Exeter, high front Low back, works a treat, 468 miles and no issues at all with comfort, when i had them both high or low i would A) slide forward and B) get pressure on the top of my legs/thighs.

standard seat is as good as you need.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom