Helmet speaker move - wow

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
So, bought a new helmet with no speaker holes so had to place the speakers myself.
I have had the cardo unit for about 6 months and it was “ok” but i always had to have the volume up full (and the iphone volume).
So today i spent a good hour moving the speakers in my new helmet about 5mm at a time to get them perfect = wow !
The sound is now amazing. Same system as i have had the past 6 months but setting the speakers just right has made a massive difference. I now only need the volume at half !
Worth a try if you have an hour to spare ?? :okay:)

For my last install I had my wife pop her hand inside the front of the helmet whilst on my head until she could feel the centre of my ear with her fingernail and then push to the helmet and keep hold as I removed it (the helmet, not her hand) and wherever her finger was, was the centre of the required speaker position.

Worked a treat.

Do you wear earplugs when using your headset ? I ask because I always do and found the volume levels and sound quality just rubbish. Put up with this for years but recently started using a pair of Shure SE215 earbuds.
What a difference. Great HiFi quality and very low volume levels needed and the exterior sound isolation is pretty good as well.
I tried a few different speakers including stripping down a pair Koss headphones to use their speakers.
IMO, none beat the quality of the Shure earbuds.

For my last install I had my wife pop her hand inside the front of the helmet whilst on my head until she could feel the centre of my ear with her fingernail and then push to the helmet and keep hold as I removed it (the helmet, not her hand) and wherever her finger was, was the centre of the required speaker position.

Worked a treat.

For those un-married folks just dust your ears with talcum powder and carefully don the helmet. Removing it with equal care will show the outline of said ears and the lughole/sweet spot

Be careful that your brief trial with the speakers pressing against your ear - don't translate into hours of discomfort on the bike. I think it is a fine line between comfort and pain

I am still using my wired ear plugs connected to a shuffle. I’m not what you call an ‘early adopter’, but the music and ear defence quality is superb.

Do you wear earplugs when using your headset ? I ask because I always do and found the volume levels and sound quality just rubbish. Put up with this for years but recently started using a pair of Shure SE215 earbuds.
What a difference. Great HiFi quality and very low volume levels needed and the exterior sound isolation is pretty good as well.
I tried a few different speakers including stripping down a pair Koss headphones to use their speakers.

Yes, I'm using these too. Very effective and work well - using the foam tips they isolate a treat.

It has always seemed crazy to wear earplugs (to cut wind noise etc) and then put a speaker next to the plugged up ear!

The net sound level experienced using the Shures is really low. The only problem can be getting your helmet on whilst wearing them.

Doug

Yes, I'm using these too. Very effective and work well - using the foam tips they isolate a treat.

It has always seemed crazy to wear earplugs (to cut wind noise etc) and then put a speaker next to the plugged up ear!

The net sound level experienced using the Shures is really low. The only problem can be getting your helmet on whilst wearing them.

Doug

Putting the helmet on is easy. I wear a neck buff all the time so before putting the helmet on I just pull it up over my ears and head and the helmet just slides over the Shures leaving them in place. Pull the neck buff down and there you go.

Putting the helmet on is easy. I wear a neck buff all the time so before putting the helmet on I just pull it up over my ears and head and the helmet just slides over the Shures leaving them in place. Pull the neck buff down and there you go.

Oooh sneaky - I will try that!

Worked a treat.

Some might surmise that one's helmet is of the over large and ill fitting variety if one can don said helmet along with someone else's hand?? :nenau

Arde you folding the cable from the in-ears over the top of your ear before they head down to the music source?

A lot of buds are designed that way and it works to our advantage as pulling the helmet downwards over a buff over 2 dies of the cable coming down either side of the ear minimizes the chance of the buds being pulled out.

I much prefer in-ear buds for overall sound quality though anything over 6/7 days wearing them 7+ hours a and my ears have had enough.

Some might surmise that one's helmet is of the over large and ill fitting variety if one can don said helmet along with someone else's hand?? :nenau

Those who did would be wrong.

I’m married to a 9 stone fitty, not a plasterer.

Yes, the Shures have a stiffer bendable 3 inch or so exiting the earbuds that go over and behind the ears. This also stops erroneous noise from cable movement reaching your ears. I've used mine for a few days ride and not had a problem but everybody is different., though I cannot understand how anyone can ride without some sort of ear silencing but some people do and cannot abide things stuck in their ears.

Unless I'm just pootling around I always wear earplugs; the problem is they make it difficult to hear anything from my Neotec/SRL system unless it is at full blast, if I'm being 'progressive'.
The solution, for me, was Ultimate Ear custom bluetooth earphones - no need to wind the volume up, perfect clarity, and they are filtered so I can hear background sounds.

Hi

Not sure if there's an answer to this really, but here goes.

2018 model Honda Goldwing. Basically a very nice bike indeed, but there's a BUT. And it's a joy killer. From a bike keeper to a bike seller.

The bike is very quiet generally. Lovely engine. But I've got some hearing damage that's accumulated over the years - my ears HATE low frequency sound. I was out for 4 hours the other day and at one point I had to stop for a break because of the low drumming sound the bike emits. Awful. Ears we're still humming for hours after getting back home.

I've looked at this subject for days online! How to make a helmet comms system that's bluetooth and protects the ears. Currently I've got a Neotec 2 with SRL comms and would say it's much worse sound wise than my Neotec 1. Wind noise is awful on the 2. Anyway, I digress.

I struck on an idea - Apple Air pod 2's with noise cancelling. So I threw them in the ears and stood next to the bike - Awesome. Problem gone! BUT....that's 2 now :)

BUT -

1. The pods are fine for bluetooth connectivity to your iphone.
2. You cant use them in a call (not bothered when I'm riding).
3. And here's the rub.......You cant communicate with your pillion. No point having a Goldwing and leaving my lovely wife at home.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has thought of a solution that works with noise cancelling ear buds. I currently use two different makes (Auritech and Nanocomm non-speaker plugs) of ear protection. The best seem to be the older Auritech ones strangely but despite having them in and a quiet (in theory) Neotec 2 my ears still take a boxing.

In-ear, noise cancelling, rider/pillion chat ear mold system of some sort has to be the future doesn't it? Do you know how this can be achieved? I'm done with creating new products but there's a potentially huge business opportunity for for this in my view. Throw your buds in, protect your hearing, chat to your wife or riding buddies.

If it's out there already, please point me in the right direction! Thanks.

Biggest waste of £80 for me,

my £20 Sennheisers run rings around the ""Must have"" Sure's

There a single driver, running into a chamber, then exiting into a tiny little fragile tube ..

Sound quality is below budget, and for an £80 set of buds i expected better

i get better audio from the freebie SENA units ...

the cables were a PITA, so rigid, they just kept pulling on the bud once your helmet was on.

Softer cable - another £50!

Both tips eventually break off rendering them useless

Never again

I use ultimate ear plugs with filters and a sena set up.I only want rider to pillion comms as I don't like music when riding unless on a long motorway schlep.Works a treat and my hearing is ferked as I only discovered ear plugs in my 40's.

Back
Top Bottom