New R18?

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
H’mm, There doesn’t seem to be anywhere on the forum to tell you about the R18 that I test road today? :augie

Is there likely to be a column to discuss this new bike.

Having a test ride on Monday. How was your experience?

Well an actual test ride wasn’t my original intention.

I’d received a general email flyer from Pidcocks (Notts) inviting me to attend the Saturday launch of the bike, so I rang up my local dealer at Grimsby to check if the launch was a national event, I’m up for any excuse for a destination to ride to that might end up with free tea and biscuits:)

When I rang Marshall’s, the salesman asked if I wanted to book a slot for a test ride, so I thought..why not?

When I arrived at the dealers my first thought was ...that looks bloody heavy, and if it falls over I’m gonna make some big scratches in those humongous cylinder heads, which gave me a moment of second thoughts about actually riding the beast. However I went ahead and took it out for a spin.

First impressions on leaving the forecourt was just how smooth and quiet it was, the 1800cc push rod motor is very very quiet mechanically, incomparable to the noise generated from my 1250 GS!

The transmission was also very ‘tight’ and very smooth, totally devoid of any backlash or snatching.

As soon as the wheels got turning the weight of the bike evaporated and it was a very nice machine to ride, the exhaust note was very subdued until I opened the throttle and then it changed to a deep roar, a good sound, there must be an exhaust flap that opens up somewhere in the system as the exhaust note change was quite sudden and a nice surprise!

Fuelling was perfect as far as I could tell on this short run, lovely big ‘old-stylie’ motor, with plenty of grunt. An 1800cc Boxer....it looks like a motor that should be powering a light aircraft...fab!

At the first roundabout it was fine and handled well for what is, steering was good too, I think it could be hustled along quite well with bit of practice.

I pulled up for a coffee in Caistor market square and the bike is so low it was very easy to manage it into position to park it outside the cafe. It does look ‘the Dogs’, this is not a hurried design, the design team have spent a lot of effort to get the detailing right.

I believe it’s meant to emulate an old BMW design from past years and they have done this very well, when you first glance at the rear it looks like an old style ridged backend, but when you take a closer look the rear shocker is hidden underneath the seat and lies in a near horizontal position allowing the rear end to pivot, it’s neat!
I enjoyed the ride, and it is a beautifully made bike, the flaw in it for me was the ride quality, it was a tad too stiff at the rear for my 69 year old backbone, this may not bother other riders, and I’m sure that it won’t be an issue when cruising down the boulevard!
However I’m sure that this could/will be improved if other riders report the same issue.

Cruisers aren’t everybody’s cup of tea, and it’s about as far away from a GS as you can get, but it’s still a motorbike, and it’s a very brave move for BMW to make the effort and produce such a stunning looking machine.

It’s definitely not a Harley, and I doubt that it was ever meant to be, this bike is a very smooth, secretly sophisticated well engineered example of great design that appears to work well.

Last note...it made me smile when the salesman gave me the key and said...just stick it in your pocket, it’s keyless and everything will take care of itself, just press the start button and go...what great mix of old and new.

I liked it!

PS. There were no tea and biscuits due to Covid.

Good write up. I've had a couple of Harleys before (Heritage and CVO RoadKing), I really like the look of it. I will def get a test ride in the future and who knows, would make a great second bike :)

I wonder if BMW will make an R18 equivalent of a Electra ultra classic at some point ?

I just went and had a look at these.....Not very attractive are they and why such a small tank? 177 mile range is just awful for a bike that could easily accommodate a properly sized tank.
Disappointed before I have even seen one.

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, as I have been totally taken by the newish Goldwing bagger (DCT), and was less taken by the Road King Special.

Will probably ride down to Bahnstormer’s on my 1956 r50 and be shocked at how dimensions have changed over 64 years from the r50 to the r18.

I just went and had a look at these.....Not very attractive are they and why such a small tank? 177 mile range is just awful for a bike that could easily accommodate a properly sized tank.
Disappointed before I have even seen one.

The bike has not been designed for function, BMW have already got that base covered with the GS plus other bikes from the Beema stable.

This bike is about other things, art, passion, design and stuff like that.

I see it as a lovely piece of engineering, it’s a nice looking thing, but it is mechanical art, however it’s also a very rideable piece of art to boot.

Apparently the idea was to build a modern bike to emulate the beautiful 1935 R5 which I think it does very well, to stick a big fat tank on it might make it ride a bit further but that is not what this bike is about.

1935 R5

Attachments

• 34107747-CD6B-4733-84D6-4B9219C2C83F.jpg
    34107747-CD6B-4733-84D6-4B9219C2C83F.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 1,131
Perhaps this will explain it better..?

Old and new

Attachments

• 7F16EFA9-0489-42E4-8B1B-8C5371B7DAB0.jpeg
    7F16EFA9-0489-42E4-8B1B-8C5371B7DAB0.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,092
Well an actual test ride wasn’t my original intention.

I’d received a general email flyer from Pidcocks (Notts) inviting me to attend the Saturday launch of the bike, so I rang up my local dealer at Grimsby to check if the launch was a national event, I’m up for any excuse for a destination to ride to that might end up with free tea and biscuits:)

When I rang Marshall’s, the salesman asked if I wanted to book a slot for a test ride, so I thought..why not?

When I arrived at the dealers my first thought was ...that looks bloody heavy, and if it falls over I’m gonna make some big scratches in those humongous cylinder heads, which gave me a moment of second thoughts about actually riding the beast. However I went ahead and took it out for a spin.

First impressions on leaving the forecourt was just how smooth and quiet it was, the 1800cc push rod motor is very very quiet mechanically, incomparable to the noise generated from my 1250 GS!

The transmission was also very ‘tight’ and very smooth, totally devoid of any backlash or snatching.

As soon as the wheels got turning the weight of the bike evaporated and it was a very nice machine to ride, the exhaust note was very subdued until I opened the throttle and then it changed to a deep roar, a good sound, there must be an exhaust flap that opens up somewhere in the system as the exhaust note change was quite sudden and a nice surprise!

Fuelling was perfect as far as I could tell on this short run, lovely big ‘old-stylie’ motor, with plenty of grunt. An 1800cc Boxer....it looks like a motor that should be powering a light aircraft...fab!

At the first roundabout it was fine and handled well for what is, steering was good too, I think it could be hustled along quite well with bit of practice.

I pulled up for a coffee in Caistor market square and the bike is so low it was very easy to manage it into position to park it outside the cafe. It does look ‘the Dogs’, this is not a hurried design, the design team have spent a lot of effort to get the detailing right.

I believe it’s meant to emulate an old BMW design from past years and they have done this very well, when you first glance at the rear it looks like an old style ridged backend, but when you take a closer look the rear shocker is hidden underneath the seat and lies in a near horizontal position allowing the rear end to pivot, it’s neat!
I enjoyed the ride, and it is a beautifully made bike, the flaw in it for me was the ride quality, it was a tad too stiff at the rear for my 69 year old backbone, this may not bother other riders, and I’m sure that it won’t be an issue when cruising down the boulevard!
However I’m sure that this could/will be improved if other riders report the same issue.

Cruisers aren’t everybody’s cup of tea, and it’s about as far away from a GS as you can get, but it’s still a motorbike, and it’s a very brave move for BMW to make the effort and produce such a stunning looking machine.

It’s definitely not a Harley, and I doubt that it was ever meant to be, this bike is a very smooth, secretly sophisticated well engineered example of great design that appears to work well.

Last note...it made me smile when the salesman gave me the key and said...just stick it in your pocket, it’s keyless and everything will take care of itself, just press the start button and go...what great mix of old and new.

I liked it!

PS. There were no tea and biscuits due to Covid.

Cheers Batman, that was an excellent review and informative. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barge.

Exhausts look like I made them out of tin foil.

The one on the Malle Rally sounded like a cocoa tin full of washers when it was idling.

If you like that kind of thing, buy a Harley...

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, as I have been totally taken by the newish Goldwing bagger (DCT), and was less taken by the Road King Special.

Will probably ride down to Bahnstormer’s on my 1956 r50 and be shocked at how dimensions have changed over 64 years from the r50 to the r18.

Presumably Alton ? If so, I'd advise you give them a call first as their demo R18 was smoking like a bastard on Saturday afternoon. So badly in fact, they stopped the engine and physically pushed it in to their workshops at the Old Mill :blast

Barge.

Exhausts look like I made them out of tin foil.

The one on the Malle Rally sounded like a cocoa tin full of washers when it was idling.

If you like that kind of thing, buy a Harley...

Apparently:augie there is a sports version with shorter exhausts

Attachments

• 40A55A68-A2E6-49E3-88B8-EEE2B3D1A3B9.jpg
    40A55A68-A2E6-49E3-88B8-EEE2B3D1A3B9.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 546
I’ve not ridden one, but had a good look around one last week. I fully realise looks can deceive, but my lasting impression is that, more than any other BMW I’ve seen (most of them) the R18 is just a concept machine that somehow made it to the showrooms. Nil points for practicability, and pretty much everything else.

Tom

I was at Bahnstormer Alton today and the test bike pulled in just after me. I overheard the sales guy telling a customer they were sharing it with Maidenhead. It wasn’t in for very long before the next punter took it out.

You can not fault BMW for making it, it’s brave and IMO marmite to look at. From the side and back it looks great, the front less so, but that’s my view and it’s not for me, but neither is a Ducati Diavel, Triumph Rocket or any Harley.

Back
Top Bottom