Length of side stand?

Snow White

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The collective

Slightly strange question...but would the owner of a 800GS go and measure their side stand for me please.
SWMBO'd has a 800GSA and with the pre-load wound down a bit to allow for short legs. However this week it had the panniers on and other stuff. Now whilst I had wound the pre-load up a bit to compensate, the side stand is making the bike too upright and a number of times it really looked like it was going to fall the opposite side.

Now I'm aware I could cut the stand and re-weld the foot back on, or increase the pre-load and probable a number of other things, but I don't like butchering things and SWMBO'd doesn't want it any higher.

I think the GS had slightly shorter suspension to the GSA and therefore a slightly shorter side stand. With my plan to simply (ha ha) swap the items over.
But the world of Google isn't giving me an answers to the actual length of a GS side stand against a GSA side stand.
Measurement taken from pivot point to foot

Side stand.jpg

Many thanks

The collective

Slightly strange question...but would the owner of a 800GS go and measure their side stand for me please.
SWMBO'd has a 800GSA and with the pre-load wound down a bit to allow for short legs. However this week it had the panniers on and other stuff. Now whilst I had wound the pre-load up a bit to compensate, the side stand is making the bike too upright and a number of times it really looked like it was going to fall the opposite side.

Now I'm aware I could cut the stand and re-weld the foot back on, or increase the pre-load and probable a number of other things, but I don't like butchering things and SWMBO'd doesn't want it any higher.

I think the GS had slightly shorter suspension to the GSA and therefore a slightly shorter side stand. With my plan to simply (ha ha) swap the items over.
But the world of Google isn't giving me an answers to the actual length of a GS side stand against a GSA side stand.
Measurement taken from pivot point to foot

View attachment 469980

Many thanks
My 2016 f800gs sidestand measures 350mm

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Take off the aftermarket sidestand sure foot plate ,makes a difference and the bike sits at a more natural angle, first thing I did on mine

Take off the aftermarket sidestand sure foot plate ,makes a difference and the bike sits at a more natural angle, first thing I did on mine

Yea, I'll give that a try.
I was hoping to find a slightly shorter stand, but clearly life isn't that simple!!

Agreed with Neil, also the slightly smaller footprint will allow the stand to dig in more on less stable surfaces which may improve the “ lean”

With my F700GS and F650GS when parking the choice of “ landing spot” for the stand can make a huge difference in lean angle. The panniers just amplify the position and if loaded more on the rhs can make it feel more tippy.

So I would do the simple things first before altering the sided stand.

Back
Top Bottom