Road Noise - WTF

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My GSA has Dunlop RoadSmart tyres on - what a racket over many surfaces :(

It's not the tyre, as my test bike did the same with Anakees on - it's the transmission of the noise up in between the fork area and it's very very loud.

I've never had a bike that does produces so much road noise.

Has anyone managed to arrive at a solution, other than giving the earplugs an extra shove?

Could just be cupping; the fronts get a hard time on a GS - what's the mileage on those Dunlops?

I do think it’s the tyres. I have had both and they make a racket. The road 5 are the same. Only ‘quietish tyre’ Is roadtech that I have tried

My GS does not suffer from this just back from the lakes with the Road 5 trail and quiet as my previous bikes.

It's not the tyre, as my test bike did the same with Anakees on - it's the transmission of the noise up in between the fork area and it's very very loud.

Has anyone managed to arrive at a solution, other than giving the earplugs an extra shove?

Agree with everything you say. I thought a wheel bearing had gone when I got my new 1250GSA.
All the different types of road surface each made a different dreadful noise.
Also scoops up a lot more air along with the noise thus a cooler ride in the summer but colder in the winter.
I really miss the quietness of my 1200TC.
The bike came with Michelin Anakee 3 which I found really noisy and changed them for Pilot Road Trail 5 which were quieter. I am now running
Conti TA3’s and they are the quietest for me so far.

I have a 1250 GS with Puig touring screen fitted and even though I'm 'a bit deaf' (my wife always says things too quietly for me to catch 1st time) I can certainly hear that front O.E. Bridgestone A 41 'droning it's tits off' above 30 mph if I don't wear earplugs. It's got to be tyre noise and nothing mechanical because the racket changes with different road surfaces. The tyres are inflated to the recommend pressures and have now done 4500 mls, can't wait to change that front tyre, looks like another 2000 mls should make it illegal. I asked in a previous thread the well informed folks on here what quiet / good performance tyre was recommended. Continental Trail Attack 3 seemed a popular choice and not excessively noisy, so that's what will be fitted next, but perhaps in the Spring as I don't do much Winter riding anymore, as soon as the salt goes down the bike goes into hibernation.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You are right, it's coming up through the forks and amplified by the bodywork / beak. Simple megaphone physics. All my GS's have done this to a degree but definitely worse with my Neotec 2. I have a Schuberth C4 and switched bikes around the same time as I bought the Neotec so assumed it was the bike and the front end 'roar' had increased on new models but couldn't work out why. I switched back to the C4, and utter bliss. The noise has virtually disappeared. Same ear plugs everything. The C4 is definitely better at blocking wind/road noise. I like the Neotec, but seriously considering putting it up on e-bay now. Also, the C4 comms audio despite being Sena is better sound quality too, but that might be related. The Neotec gives me tinnitus after a ride. Edited: Also, I must add your tyre choice accounts for probably 15% of that noise. I have ran Anakee 3's, Metz Tourance Next, A41 Battleax, and now on Anakee Adventures - make very little difference. You will notice a slight increase in noise but 75% of it is wind/road surface and rotors. From about 30mph or thereabouts it starts and doesn't really change much in pitch as you increase speed.

Neotec helmet, 1250GSA and BT-A41's and I have the same, sounds like I'm dragging a sheet of plywood along with me.

I had this same problem on my 2016 1200GS running Anakee 3's then again with the 1250GSA that came with Bridgestone A41's. I wear a Neotec-1 Helmet and Earplugs all of the time and could just about live with the noise coming up from the front wheel.

Now that I've fitted a pair of Metz Roadtec-01's I can ride without Earplugs and there is virtually no noise coming up from the front wheel.

agree 100%, the bike seems to amplify the tyre and engine noise, I had road 5s on and it was very loud, now have continental ta3, not as bad.

just use ear plugs

I had this same problem on my 2016 1200GS running Anakee 3's then again with the 1250GSA that came with Bridgestone A41's. I wear a Neotec-1 Helmet and Earplugs all of the time and could just about live with the noise coming up from the front wheel.

Now that I've fitted a pair of Metz Roadtec-01's I can ride without Earplugs and there is virtually no noise coming up from the front wheel.

Think I’ll try the Roadtec-01’s or Conti Road attack next. Anyone had both and would like to comment?
Most of the time I’m unable to wear earplugs as it’s too painful.

A41's from new...noisy
Michelin 5 Trails much quieter

Back
Top Bottom