1250GSA - Oil usage

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey all,

In the last 1500 miles I've had to add a litre of oil to my 1250GSA and the level is still only about a quarter of the way between the bottom of the red ring and the top. In 16 years of riding I've never had to top a bike up between services so I assumed it was a "It's a GS, they all do that" but having spoken to a close friend whos on his third GS now he seems adamant thats not right.

I've had the low oil level warning 3 times now and as I said dumped a litre of oil in. Definitely no leaks, I've been checking, engine doesn't smoke and riding wise it seems fine. It's booked in tomorrow to have yet another TFT update so I'll ask them then but wondered if this is the norm for some 1250's.

Thanks

Nope it's not right, i assume you are checking level in accordance with the manual

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Nope it's not right, i assume you are checking level in accordance with the manual

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Yep, exactly as per the manual, idle on the centre stand until the fan kicks in, wait 5 mins then check the sight glass :)

Something not right there mate.

My 1250 has 10K miles on it now and I've never needed to top the oil up.

The earlier bikes used to use a little bit, and I have a small bottle under the seat because of that, but in 2 years I've never needed it.

Something not right there mate.

My 1250 has 10K miles on it now and I've never needed to top the oil up.

The earlier bikes used to use a little bit, and I have a small bottle under the seat because of that, but in 2 years I've never needed it.

On the other hand I've topped mine up twice in around 4k miles - never at the bottom of the red circle, but still below centre of sight glass.

My '63 plate used a bit too - '67 plate didn't.

On the other hand I've topped mine up twice in around 4k miles - never at the bottom of the red circle, but still below centre of sight glass.

My '63 plate used a bit too - '67 plate didn't.

Ahh - OK then - maybe my earlier response was too strong then.
None of my mates who have the 1250 had used a drop either, so I thought the "they can use a bit of oil" thing was history...

Thanks chaps, it's booked in with Williams tomorrow for a TFT upgrade so I've asked them to have a look and advise. I've never had to put a single drop of oil in a bike before between services so I was a little surprised it keeps flashing up the low oil level warning.

The fact it's been 3815 mile since the engine had it's running in service and I've put a litre of oil in and it's not even at the half way mark seemed a little odd.

Ahh - OK then - maybe my earlier response was too strong then.

I topped it up just before the Scotland trip - the second top up in about 2.5k miles, maybe 0.75 litre.

It's now on 11k miles.

I've never had it so low that the warning light came on.

My 1250 needs a top up of about half a litre between services. My old 2010 TC with 70k miles never used a drop.
Luck of the draw I guess.
Sometimes the oil can be stored in a secret place within the engine as sometimes I check it and it looks as though it needs some oil and then after going for a ride it seems to be ok again and doesn’t require any. I think this is common and most owners know this.
Never had my oil light come on though.

4700 miles on a May 2020 1250GS.....not used any oil

My 1250 needs a top up of about half a litre between services. My old 2010 TC with 70k miles never used a drop.
Luck of the draw I guess.
Sometimes the oil can be stored in a secret place within the engine as sometimes I check it and it looks as though it needs some oil and then after going for a ride it seems to be ok again and doesn’t require any. I think this is common and most owners know this.
Never had my oil light come on though.

X2 Exactly the same as Dougie here... Mine has a aftermarket exhaust and i do like to flog her here and there,it must make a bit of diference ;):thumby:

Never had to top mine up.

If I recall correctly, when discussing excessive oil consumption on my old twin cam with Steve (Motoscot), he told me his theory about keeping the oil level on the high side as he thought that the boxer engine has a tendency to lose more oil through the breather when the level is lower.

ISTR that it did reduce oil consumption, but not a huge amount

Last edited:
On Saturday my oil warning message appeared on my 1250GSA, when I checked the sight glass oil was just above the bottom of the red ring. I topped it up with all I had which was about 100ml. I rode it home, about 50 miles and the message didn't come back, but I was shocked that it was so low? I have it booked in for 6000 mile service Friday after next so will bring it up with dealer then. Never once had to top up my 1200WC or 1200AC ??????

Thanks all, I really appreciate it, bikes been into Williams Manchester today and they have stated that it's perfectly normal and within BMW's specified tolerances for a 1250 to consume over a litre of oil every 1500-2000 miles. I'm surprised but they offered to show me the specs on the system but I declined as I don't think they are lying. Gonna be expensive to keep topping her up at that rate!

Did you run it in carefully and follow the manufacturers guidelines?
If so, that might be the issue.
There is a lot on anecdotal evidence that running them in hard, results in little/no oil usage later on.

If it’s within BMW tolerances then I guess you will just have to live with it. Hopefully the oil usage will drop off as things bed in.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it, bikes been into Williams Manchester today and they have stated that it's perfectly normal and within BMW's specified tolerances for a 1250 to consume over a litre of oil every 1500-2000 miles. I'm surprised but they offered to show me the specs on the system but I declined as I don't think they are lying. Gonna be expensive to keep topping her up at that rate!

At that rate you'll never need to change the oil - total loss...

It will probably settle as it beds in.

As a side note. I topped the bike up before a 2,200 run (thrash) to and around the Highlands etc. Just checked and it's dropped about 3mm - so maybe it took a bit longer to bed in than others.

I would agree that mileage will cause the consumption to reduce, certainly my previous two LCs used less oil after about 10k.

By comparison, the last two GS twin cams and the earlier 1200GS used a fair bit, tailing off after around 12k until around 18k or so, thereafter virtually nothing.

My 1250 Adv is on 11,600 miles and I have never stopped it up. Had 2nd service at around 7000. Delayed due to Covid. After the service left on a 15 day/4000 mile trip. Never looked the oil window and would not expected to need to.

Back
Top Bottom