ROUTE PLANNING/SAT NAV

Jackhammer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
Unfortunately with my limited skills on SatNav I am unable to make head nor tail of Garmin Base camp., and from what I hear I'm not the only one!
A mate of mine is recommending MyRoute-app which he subscribes to annually and reckons extremely user friendly. Also on internet search Calimoto comes up as being highly recommended, but I don't know anyone using it.
Could I kindly ask for some thoughts and recommendations please?
Best regards,
Jack

Moved from ‘Travel’.

Your mate likes MyRoute, so what is there to doubt? It is certainly popular on these pages.

If you take the bother to learn Basecamp it's fine. Personally I haven't, so have been using MRA for a few years now. You can use MRA for free with all features for a month, then it reverts to basic features, which is still useable. I have a subscription.

I use copilot, pretty cheap, can cover most of the world, easy to use and to adjust routes so I go where I want to go. Taken me all over Europe, no data use.

Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like MyRoute-app. I use it to plan, never bothered to attempt uploading it to the SatNav

I like MyRouteApp as well.

I am also slowly learning BaseCamp, but I do find MRA faster and simpler to use.

There are some upsides and downsides.

On a positive note, you can wirelessly send routes to a Garmin Xumo....which for some unknown reason you can't do with BaseCamp.

On the downside, it's harder to save lists of favourite waypoints, POIs etc and incorporate them into routes. This might not be true - I just mightn't know how to do it.

Also on the downside, when I import routes to the Garmin, all the waypoints are basically shaping points, so I don't get a countdown of time/distance to a particular waypoint such as a coffee stop. Just to the end of the route.

Anyway....MRA is very good, but you do need to cough up for the Gold subscription to get the proper feature set like satellite view, highway avoidance etc...

[/Also on the downside, when I import routes to the Garmin, all the waypoints are basically shaping points, so I don't get a countdown of time/distance to a particular waypoint such as a coffee stop. Just to the end of the route. QUOTE]

Convert them into announced via points, from within the device itself.

Mapsource.
Garmins software designed for human beings.
Or Tyre.
Both free.

My name is Bin and I am a Mapsource user - there, I've said it!!

When I make a trip plan using Mapsource, I push it into the GPS directly from Mapsource.
I also save a GPX copy and email that to myself. I can then open that file in my phone using GPX Viewer Pro - as a backup to the GPS.

I tried and give up with basecamp a couple of times.

One day when i had more time i watched a few Youtube videos.
now i manage to plan my journeys no problem, its actually very good once you get the hang of it.

I think you should persevere its worth it.
this video is a good starting point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioc-6hALMGw

Back
Top Bottom