LED Headlight Query

Been out on the Turban for the first time in the dark this week, surprised by how good the main beam is for an H4 bulb. The dip beam is still better than many non-LED equipped BMWs but could do with a longer throw of light down the road. Think I am going to try Osram Night Breaker replacement bulb which have worked pretty well on my Twin Cam,

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h...MIjM2m8bmH7AIVjentCh2KmQCiEAAYASAAEgKkHvD_BwE

But, I understand that there is a newer version called the Osram Night Racer plus, specifically for motorcycles, may give that a go.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-osram-night-racer-plus-90-0snrh4.html

Thanks guys for discussing your experiences so others don't have to learn the hard way !

This is the answer.......

After lots of googling etc, went full circle back to Ebay. £10 for two, it seems they are meant for cars with 7” headlights. Five minutes to fit, and does the job. Canbus is happy, no bulb out warnings. Just make sure you get the right connections as there are a few different types.

So LED headlight, with Halo ring, £20, two Resistors with all wiring, £10. (With one spare for the next conversion) Plug and play. The spring clips need a bit of tweaking to give them more tension. Light is brighter than standard H4 bulb, looks better, and more importantly I would say is More visible to other motorists.

Attachments

• D020FEFC-337F-49BD-975E-0261A7E29A69.jpg
    D020FEFC-337F-49BD-975E-0261A7E29A69.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 767F279B-A705-4001-9FD0-FABF5A6185BC.jpg
    767F279B-A705-4001-9FD0-FABF5A6185BC.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Chris, not made the jump yet so may well do likewise. Just wondered about the heatsink on the back of the light unit, does it get quite warm with no air to cool it inside the headlight housing ? Looked at numerous light units on ebay, was yours an oriental unit or from a UK supplier ?

Thanks Chris, not made the jump yet so may well do likewise. Just wondered about the heatsink on the back of the light unit, does it get quite warm with no air to cool it inside the headlight housing ? Looked at numerous light units on ebay, was yours an oriental unit or from a UK supplier ?

Well....Ebay UK supplier allegedly but took about 5 days to arrive, supposedly from Lichfield in Staffs which is 25 mins from me. A lot of this Chinese stuff is held in big European warehouses apparently. Regarding the heat, I’ll let you know after a decent ride out. Been raining all day today. If it gets too hot I’ll locate it outside the shell. At least it’s black and less conspicuous than the alloy finned units.
It’s sold as an anti flicker/error free unit, I’m assuming it’s a resistor which obviated will generate heat, but it may be something else, I’m not an electronics guy so :nenau

70 odd mile spin this afternoon, in admittedly cooler weather than of late, the headlight shell was stone cold at the end of it.
Didn’t pop it open but if there had been any significant heat generated the shell would’ve been warm to the touch. For £30 all in, with a spare resistor thingy too, I’d say a good result.

Great result for little money. Makes you ask why manufacturers don't do this as standard, would cost peanuts to do, or offer it as a low cost option on the bike. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I shall do similar.

Thanks for that. Did this resolve the canbus issue in isolation or was something also needed for the parking bulb too?

Thanks for that. Did this resolve the canbus issue in isolation or was something also needed for the parking bulb too?

Everything goes through this resistor, parking bulb dip and main. Nothing else needed. From my trials I don’t think there was a problem with the parking bulb, or halo ring in this case.

Back
Top Bottom