Nav 5 not navigating to the destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatboydel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last week I put in a map destination of Bakewell in the Peak District, the Nav 5 took me to a different town about 5 miles from the destination and said I had arrived!

So I updated the maps etc and tried it again today, this time I put in Matlock, it guided me up the A6 Ok, but again it told me I had arrived at the destination around 6 miles short, what on Earth is going on?

It did manage to correctly direct me to a previously saved favourite and again to get home.

Did you create the routes, destinations by tapping your finger onto the map or by selecting the town in route creation?

When you put the towns of Bakewell or Matlock into the device and ask it to plot you a route there, before you ride off, zoom in. Does the route end at the town’s centre or somewhere short? You can do this now. Report back, please.

I had the Nav 5 running on the bike, tapped Where to and typed in the name of Matlock, it appeared in the selection, so I selected it and set off.

Just put it in again and it is showing the same place as being Matlock, some miles short. The blue flag is where it thinks Matlock is!

Attachments

• 7515A51D-FD2C-4624-9A66-F47E430465CE.jpg
    7515A51D-FD2C-4624-9A66-F47E430465CE.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 232
I don't think thats right, the route you have on screen neither starts or stops at the blue flag, at least the way I'm reading it.

That according to the map is Matlock Road so maybe you chose the wrong option?

At the bottom of the screen it says A6 which is the road that the blue flag is on, I think it's to do with how you're searching and what result you're choosing

That according to the map is Matlock Road so maybe you chose the wrong option?

I guessed that what might well be happening. I will fire up my Nav V and ask it for a route from London E1 to Matlock, to see what it throws up.

I guessed that what might well be happening. I will fire up my Nav V and ask it for a route from London E1 to Matlock, to see what it throws up.

Good call, my Nav6 gives different results depending whether I just type into the "Where To" box or if I choose to search for an address/town.

Good call, my Nav6 gives different results depending whether I just type into the "Where To" box or if I choose to search for an address/town.

Here goes:

Home screen

Apps

Trip Planner

New Trip

Select start location, I chose Where I am now

Select, to enter start point

+ sign, top left corner

Towns

Check country

Spell town

Matlock

Choose, Matlock, Derby

Map pops up, looks right

Select

Next

Route calculates....

Looks like it drops me off right in the middle of Matlock

Job done

I get a similar outcome if from the Home screen I just go Where To, search for Matlock, scroll 3 pages down and choose Matlock (A6) it drops a pin right there and routes perfectly.

If I use what I suspect was the OP’s method...

Home screen

Where To?

Address

Spell Town

Matlock

Select Matlock, Derbyshire

Enter house number (no idea)

Bottom right corner, Done

Enter street (no idea)

Bottom right corner, Done

Select street..... um....er.... A6, why not....

Spinning of egg timer....

Select A6 at random from list....

Bingo! It takes me to that spot on the A6, the useless lump of Garmin crap. I asked it for Matlock! Or maybe I really asked it for some point on the A6..... yup, that’s the answer.

I got a similar outcome (not quite exactly on the same spot) but yep I'd bet money thats whats happened!

Yep, that’s exactly what I did, now logically asked for Matlock, which the A6 passes through, so to me that’s the point in Matlock where the A6 passes, not some random place 6 miles away with no bearing on Matlock at all.

So basically I need to know the name of some little road in the town centre for every place I go to? Why isn’t there just a town centre option?

Piece of crap....

Yep, that’s exactly what I did, now logically asked for Matlock, which the A6 passes through, so to me that’s the point in Matlock where the A6 passes, not some random place 6 miles away with no bearing on Matlock at all.

So basically I need to know the name of some little road in the town centre for every place I go to? Why isn’t there just a town centre option?

Piece of crap....

Now, now, don't sulk.

There is a town centre option.

Where to --> Categories --> scroll down to "Towns" --> enter the town in the "Search" box. It will create a route to that town from your current location.

Have a look at the other categories while you're at it.

Piece of crap....

See post #9. Had I of run the route, I’d have gone from London E1, all the way to the centre of Matlock. I would not have been dumped off on the A6.

So that’s two ways that the piece of crap can and will do what you want it to do, with dull reliability.

See post #9. Had I of run the route, I’d have gone from London E1, all the way to the centre of Matlock. I would not have been dumped off on the A6.

So that’s two ways that the piece of crap can and will do what you want it to do, with dull reliability.

Or put another way - user error :hapybnce:

or you could actually look at the map on screen at where it put your destination, zoom in a bit and you may have spotted the error and seen that matlock was a little further away, you then could have tapped the sreen at matlock and set that as destination.
usually more than one way to do things with these devices.

OP, in your screenshot, what has happened is that you have touched the centre of the screen and it assumes you want to plant a point there. The blue flag and circle are the clues, together with the A6 tag at the bottom and the option to GO.
I’m sorry but it may be that you are misinterpreting what you are looking at.

The choice (for that was what the OP was maybe presented with) of where to route himself to, has a useful purpose.

There are several posts from bods, complaining that their device routes them to the middle of a town, when they don’t want to go there. We can only assume they have entered say, Matlock, when all they really wanted to do was get close to Matlock and then carry on to go somewhere else. The ability to chose ‘Matlock A6’ would be very useful to them as it would take them to that point (ie not into Matlock’s centre) from where they would be able to continue on to somewhere else. To them, the device would be a thing of genius.

The truth is, the devices - and sometimes their owners - are very clever but simultaneously pretty dumb. The dumbness comes in that the device can and will only do what their owners order them to do. Order the device to “Take me to X” and it will do it, as it has no choice. Similarly, if you ask it to take you to a very specific street address or to a more general post code area, it will do that to, too. If the owner just wants to go to the centre of a town, it will obey that instruction, without exception.

If though, down one way of entering or selecting destinations, the device has not received enough data from the owner as to the destination, it will throw up pre-set possibilities as to places the owner can chose from. In this example, the owners seems to have chosen ‘A6, Matlock’. To his mind, that means a point on the map where the A6 enters Matlock. To the device, that mean ‘On the A6 but not at Matlock itself’, it being unable to read the OP’s mind. The device, as it has been instructed to go to ‘A6, Matlock’ will do as it is told, as it has no other choice but to do so.

Had the OP entered, “Take me to Matlock’ in a different method, then the device would have taken him to the centre of Matlock, without a doubt, probably (depending on where he was starting from and his personal settings) routing him along the A6. He would then have been very happy.

So, yes, it seems that the OP’s problems are down to user error. He has now learned:

1. That you can enter destination instructions into the device in several different ways, up to and including just tapping on the map. Be careful just tapping on the map, depending on the level of zoom selected and the accuracy / pudgieness of the finger.

2. That some methods will throw up choices for the device’s owner to make.

3. That the results can / will differ, depending on the choice selected.

4. That what the choice the owner thinks it means, is not necessarily what the device knows it means.

5. That the device can only ever do what it has been instructed to do. It cannot on its own think to itself, “He’s asked me to do this but really, he probably wants me to do something else”. It is not in itself intuitive nor a mind reader.

Get to know your device, fat boy, and how it works. It is incredibly powerful and a bit dumb. So much so, it’s almost human.

attachment.php

OP, in your screenshot, what has happened is that you have touched the centre of the screen and it assumes you want to plant a point there. The blue flag and circle are the clues, together with the A6 tag at the bottom and the option to GO.
I’m sorry but it may be that you are misinterpreting what you are looking at.

This method is very useful as it has an intelligent (the device is clever) other feature.

In the picture you can see that beside the word ‘A6’ there are two arrows, one to the right dark (ie active) the other greyed-out (inactive).

5e7ffd768020644a220f3d482c480a8c.jpg

The device knows that the human finger is sometimes not the most accurate of pointers. By tapping on the arrows, it will jump to other known streets close by. This enables the device’s owner to fine tune the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom