What do I need to know about the K1200s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been offered a 2006 K1200s, 17k miles, very tidy, full BMW service history, a few months MOT remaining and it's had a servoectomy. Needs a fuel strip. Standard bike, no extras or luggage.
£3k , is it worth it?

Can anyone advise the pros and cons of these please as I've never ridden one or had anything to do with them.
Very tempted but it seems like a totally different animal to my previous BMW's-- a 1200 RT, 800GS and 1200gs. I recently sold my GS to try a Yam tenere 700 and would like a road bike in the stable but not sure if this is the right one.

Thanks.

I had one of these when they first came out.
Great bike plenty of stomp (I seem to recall 168bhp) and powerful brakes.
ESA in Sport mode good enough for 12 laps of the Nurburgring!
Comfortable as well.

Great bikes.Go like stink, very comfy if you are tall.
I had a new K1300S in 2009 and then bought a used K1200S in about 2012.
It was mint and low miles and in the lovely (marmite) black/grey/yellow combo.

Unfortunately it developed a major fuelling issue which 2 independents and a dealer couldn’t fix for many months.
Finally traced to a rogue wire.

Think I owned the bike 9 months, used it for just 2 and then the fault occurred.Took 7 months to fix !!!!!
I moved back to Channel Islands in the mean time and the independent mechanic sold it for me .

From memory I paid £4600 for it and I only got £1800 back,and he stopped charging me labour after a few months as he felt bad that he couldn’t trace the issue.

Bloody annoying as bike was mint with about 3000 miles and full luggage etc.

You'd be better looking at a K1300S which sorted out some of the shortcomings in the 1200. I had a K1300S for 5 years and really enjoyed it. There's a lot of knowledge and advice available over on the K club site at:

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php

ps. I traded my 2012 bike with luggage and extras for £6.5k two years ago so this 1200 seems expensive. They don't sell quickly.

I had one and it had a problem with the gearbox. Supposedly the gears are made too tight and causes wear and eventually damages gears and selector fork. BMW know about it and if out of warranty, deny any help other than change gearbox for the newer 1300one which also needs the new clutch costing £4000, if I recall correctly.
I part exchanged it at a dealer to hopefully force them to repair it for the new owner, although I think they just traded it.
Loved the bike until it failed to drive after an overtake...

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it developed a major fuelling issue which 2 independents and a dealer couldn’t fix for many months.

When I had a test ride on the launch the fuelling was a disaster. However I have a friend who had a 1300s from new, put 80000 miles with no issues. Loves the bike.

A mate had an immaculate K1200S (2005) which he purchased pretty cheaply. Gear change was questionable to say the least, especially when putting into 1st at a standstill. He then had to pay about £850 to a local independent mechanic to change the Canbus ECU unit and reprogramming had to be done at a BM dealer. Somewhat took the shine off his ownership of what seemed initially like a very well built and great looking machine! Then I believe Ricardo Engineering was commissioned by BMW to completely redesign the engine, clutch and gearbox for the 1300 model. From what I have read, this bike is a vast improvement over its predecessor but comes at quite a premium.

There's a name from the past... Ricardo engineering... Didn't the help Peugeot Citroen with their excellent diesel engines?? (at that time)

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

There's a name from the past... Ricardo engineering... Didn't the help Peugeot Citroen with their excellent diesel engines?? (at that time)

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk
They did, and a lot more besides!
Harry Ricardo was related to my other half, very interesting man.
Try and get hold of this if you want to know more about him

Attachments

• F3EF968E-3E1F-4744-AD68-A2222526F402.jpg
    F3EF968E-3E1F-4744-AD68-A2222526F402.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom