Anyone owned a Norge?

i am on a really tight budget. I saw another nice one on ebay too but that is listed at £4299 but is a 2011 (tappets done) My only issue with this one (and he was very honest) were a few small bad bits, paint on wheels bubbling a little, small crack in fairing, exhaust a little discoloured, issue with plastic petrol tank (when you have to remove it) - i guess wear and tear but not sure i want to buy a bike knowing it cold get worse. Guess I cant expect anything else for a 14 year old bike though.....

Both look nice bikes, £4299 + £89 admin fee, but you do get some warranty and breakdown cover. £3250 for the earlier 1200, could be open to an offer,. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it for £2900, £3000 tops. Wheels are pretty cheap to have redone, you could sort out your own warranty and breakdown cover. Not sure what the tank problem maybe, possibly has some enlargement which can happen with plastic tanks. Would you need to take the tank off? The only other thing to look out for is any oil weep age on the left side. The seal on the oil pressure sensor can often go. Not a massive job, but difficult to get to as it's between the V of the cylinders.

Happy hunting. Couple of good forums out there that are always forth coming with help and advice.

I wont want to be taking the tank off!!

this was the description of the bad bits:

The rack is missing the securing mount for the Guzzi top box.
2. The only crack in the bodywork is here.
3. There are some corrosion spots bubbling under the paint of both wheels, e.g.
4. The front of both exhaust downpipes are discoloured.
5. The petrol tank is plastic and has swollen due to ethanol in the fuel (they all do). This makes it very hard to replace the rear mounting bolt, so I fitted a captive bolt and drilled a new mounting hole 10 mm further back. This makes it easy to refit the tank.

I have been emailing him, and basically, as it stands now, he would let me have it for £2900 including a new MOT as I didnt want to buy a bike without a decent MOT (bad experience in the past....) Seems fair enough and reckon he is genuine. Am really on a budget as didnt expect to consider biking again right now but think now could be a good time to buy.

Get yourself onto one of the Norge forums and ask questions,,,

When i was looking, the digidash was one of the problematic items ,

other than that it was availability of dealerships & spares

50 miles away? I'd definitely be going for a look at that. None of the problems he has highlighted are insurmountable and won't distract from how the bike rides. I suspect the 'crack' could be on the rack mounts which was a common problem, the tank appears to be sorted, again a common problem with plastic tanks and ethanol in the fuel. Wheels, if they're bad just have them redone, about £70 per wheel, I suspect they won't be that bad. Downpipes, Harpic toilet cleaner will have them looking like new in 10mins.
Go with cash and armed with the highlighted faults, it could be yours for £2750 even at his agreed £2900, still sounds like a decent buy to me, but then again I've not seen it in the flesh.

Guzzi ownership is a funny thing and difficult to describe. I didn't buy my first Guzzi until 2013 when I was 57 years old. I've had a fair few since then and find it difficult to see past Guzzi's these days. Yes, like all bikes they have their problems, but I just love em.

Ridden in the right way, they cover ground very quickly but without drama.

The marks on the wheels appear minimal (based on the photo he sent me) but could be used as a bargaining tool. Never realised harpsichord could help! Just mix with water and wash or apply neat on a rag? Tank is solved and the crack relates to the top box plate issue if I understood him correctly. My only issue is I am useless mechanically, so if I go and look I can only truly judge cosmetically, but this bloke appears genuine and his eBay score is good, so don’t see any reason why he would be dodgy tbh.... need to have a think but feel this could be a lot of bike for the money...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a mechanically minded mate with you and cash. Solves getting the bike home too as mate can drive you there.

There is something classy about a Guzzi :)rob please get into the habit of using the Italian pronunciation "Gootsi":D )

It's on my bucket list, I was put off in the past by the tappet issue but it seems you don't have to worry about it on this one..... go on, go on, go.

One important thing to remember when you have a look at the bike. It will run a dry clutch, some can be noisy. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. If you can hear a rattling pull the clutch lever in and the noise should change, if it does change the rattling is just the clutch. Perfectly normal with a dry clutch. It will not make this noise when you are riding the bike.

Used to that noise with my Ducati’s from the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s dropped listed price to £2950 now..... surely a deal to be had...

Don’t think i am far away! Half expected him to reach out to me after the pics etc but nothing....

Don’t think i am far away! Half expected him to reach out to me after the pics etc but nothing....

Lots of folks interpret 'Reaching out' as being pushy or desperate. He's made the move in sending you the pics. If you fancy the bike, make him an offer. I'm showing some unnatural restraint for me in not making an offer myself.

My offer was £2850 including new MOT but that was before he shared bad bits.... haven’t been in touch since...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom