Gearbox seems to get very hot. Is this usual?

alpsrider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2003 GS Adventure with 22,000 miles.
I have noticed the gearbox gererates a lot of heat and the casing is almost too hot to touch after a run. I have changed the gearbox and final drive oil.
Having changed from a 1200 LC, I have never had this issue before.
Is this normal or is there something I need to check.
Many thanks.

Might be "having changed from 1200lc" issue... Not much to go wrong if it has oil in it and in winter the extra heat keeps you warm and reminds you you've been riding...👍 1100/1150s will keep you right without too much worrying...👍

Note also that it's not 'just' gearbox heat - the catalyser (I'm assuming one is fitted) will also contribute a great deal of radiated heat up to the gearbox.

Might be "having changed from 1200lc" issue... Not much to go wrong if it has oil in it and in winter the extra heat keeps you warm and reminds you you've been riding...�� 1100/1150s will keep you right without too much worrying...��

Think you're right. It's got fresh oil so all good there.
Just wanted to check as it's something I've never noticed on my last two GSAs, both were 1200's but always fancied an 1150.

There's a few things on 11/1150's that go wrong/wear out but they are usually fixable and give you a bit of warning at least... Most of them are mileage or use related and non of the dealer bungee issues that Hexhead/twincam/LC bikes seem to have problems with and not on Canbus so you can usually fix things with a tweak or two... They are also just where BMW went over the summit quality wise so hold together pretty well too...:thumb I have returned back to an 1150RT and DIY maintain...

Back
Top Bottom