Shooting estates at it again....

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
Seems a missing Golden Eagle's tag has been found in a river, wrapped in lead.

Tayside and Central Scotland Moorland Group, said it was too easy to blame grouse moors, adding: "Hopefully the police can get to the bottom of it and people can be removed from unfair suspicion."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-54295035

Ye right enough your every day walker heads out in to the countryside, kills a Golden Eagle then wraps it's tag in lead and then lobs it in the river. :mad:

Not sure who I'm more pissed off with, these fuckers on shooting estates or the government not bringing these fuckers to task.

Falconry theft? Eagle captured, tag removed - they fetch huge prices alive and as they don't take grouse it is unlikely to have been a keeper. They takes some lambs, mostly live on hares which are of no consequence to shooting estates. The shooting fraternity get pointed at but there are other factions far more likely to be the real culprit, especially as a good number of estates are owned by 'Arabs' for whom falconry is still massively important and birds are seen as a status symbol.

game keepers would leave the transmitter near a busy road... same as they do with bag fulls of badgers... tip'em in the fast lane on a dual carriage way. You'd have to be CSI to workout what killed'em when a few 18 tonners have rolled them flat...

RARE WHITE-TAILED SEA EAGLE POISONED

Police Scotland has today confirmed that a rare white-tailed sea eagle found dead earlier this year was poisoned.

The bird of prey was recovered from Donside, Aberdeenshire, in April. A post mortem has now established it died as a result of pesticide poisoning. It had been satellite tagged.

The death is being treated as suspicious. An investigation is ongoing and Police Scotland is appealing for information to help identify those responsible.

RARE WHITE-TAILED SEA EAGLE POISONED

Police Scotland has today confirmed that a rare white-tailed sea eagle found dead earlier this year was poisoned.

The bird of prey was recovered from Donside, Aberdeenshire, in April. A post mortem has now established it died as a result of pesticide poisoning. It had been satellite tagged.

The death is being treated as suspicious. An investigation is ongoing and Police Scotland is appealing for information to help identify those responsible.
F##king twats.

I walk the Angus glens near enough every Wednesday. In past 12 month was just shy of 1000 miles.
The birds of prey are a joy to watch, particularly the Red Kites, do see the occasional Eagle. :thumb
Occasionally I do come across an open fresh carcass at side of the track and wonder if it has been poisoned.
Taking on Lo-IQ's comment of need for CSI, perhaps I should start taking swabs, if there was somewhere to hand them in for checking? :idea

However any time I meet the gamekeepers they do come across in a positive attitude to the birds.
But clearly there is some mischief afoot and severe penalties should be meted out if caught and prosecuted. :mcgun

Killing these birds is disgusting but until someone gets caught, convicted and banged up for a long time it’ll continue unabated. If it was falconry theft I’m sure other (admittedly less valuable) birds would be taken from other parts of the country but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

More to the point......how TF does a transmitter wrapped in a big FO sheet of LEAD get washed up on the bank of a river??

There was a news item the other day that all Scottish shoots will now have to be registered some how. At present it is all under a code of practice which makes it very hard for the police to investigate bird of prey persecution. If the the shoots in future can lose their licences they will think twice about poisoning etc.

Killing these birds is disgusting but until someone gets caught, convicted and banged up for a long time it’ll continue unabated. If it was falconry theft I’m sure other (admittedly less valuable) birds would be taken from other parts of the country but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Very frequent actually, especially peregrine nests being raided. Goshawks are another, but more difficult to locate. There was a prosecution recently for a bloke who had raided peregrine nest in a quarry, I think he got 10 years from memory. Not a gamekeeper, professional egg/chick theif.
Buzzards are easy to protect against, some decent cover around the edge of the release pen slows them down. No predator will work harder for their food than they have to. They are slow, cumbersome things with little interest to the falconer.

More to the point......how TF does a transmitter wrapped in a big FO sheet of LEAD get washed up on the bank of a river??

Somebody just happened to be paddling bearefoot and trod on it and instead of thinking it was another stone thought, that feels odd. Then they reached down and fetched out the 'evidence'. After the heavy rainfall we have had, I wonder how far down the river it been washed?

Back
Top Bottom