Centre stand question

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently have 2 650GS twins (one is hopefully going tomorrow)

On the 2009 one the centre stand, once pushed down, stays touching the ground so you can put your foot on the pad to haul the bike up.....nice and easy.

The 2012 bike retracts it’s stand very powerfully making it very difficult to push the stand down then slide your foot on to the centre stand pad.....makes it a bugger to get on the stand.

I think the 2009 one is correct but I can see no difference in the ways that the centre stands are mounted or sprung.

What does yours do?

Comments chaps, thanks.

Mine is a 2012 and is exactly the same. I have to push the stand down using the little tang and then slide my foot onto the stand itself without letting it spring back up. Bit of a faff but just assumed that's how they all are.

Mine is a 2012 and is exactly the same. I have to push the stand down using the little tang and then slide my foot onto the stand itself without letting it spring back up. Bit of a faff but just assumed that's how they all are.

Apparently not, it’s so much easier when it stays down, you need to be a bloody contortionist to move your foot across while it’s fighting to retract. Maybe it’s varying spring tension, I’ll investigate and report back.

Mine requires the slidy foot thing (2012 F700GS) as well. It isn't easy and requires a knack. I haven't owned an older one but it does sound easier.

(Another centre stand practicality feature that has disappeared on GSes over the years is from the standard 1150GS - it was balanced front-to-rear on the centre stand so whichever wheel you removed meant it was up in the air. No need to support the front. Went when they progressed to 1200. Don't know about 1250...)

Back
Top Bottom