I just bought one

yen_powell

Reaction score
Think I managed to bag one of the last new XT1200s a few weeks ago. Plain cooking version, didn't want the electronic suspension.

Got a £1600 part ex offer on my 103,000 mile 2015 Versys. I had a long standing agreement with my mate that he could have the Kawasaki for whatever they offered part ex and he had a test ride and a long think and bought it off me.

Only 450 miles up so far, trying to keep the mileage down till the running in service (or oil change as they should really call it) which is next week. One trip to work puts about 110 miles on, the dealer is 50 miles away and I have to travel to work on Monday, service is on Wednesday so it should work out just right.

Now I've taken out the generous slack in the throttle and wound back the boingy suspension bit to its softest setting it has become an armchair like motorbike. Been riding it mostly on the T setting, the S setting is nice on the A roads if you have a clear view ahead, bit too jerky when filtering though.

Below is the new bike on its first day and the old Versys looking at me and wondering why I've abandoned it to another owner after 5 years of faithful service.
20200920_122210sm.jpg

Old-faithful-sm.jpg

great looking bike that :okay

cant you get it serviced to tk cope in colchester ?

your mates got one hella of bike there for £1600 ! im sure it will do those miles again without much bother

enjoy that Tenere :green gri

I'm going to stick with Woodford Motorcycles for the first service, then do it myself until valve time comes when I'll give it to Silverex Engineers in Braintree who did my Kawasaki a few times. They also rebuilt my Africa Twin engine many years ago at a bargain price and not only got me out of a hole but gave me an extra 55,000 trouble free miles.

Congratulations on your rather excellent taste in motorcycles sir! :beerjug: I bought my SuperTen non-ES bike 2 years ago. I don’t think you will be disappointed! There is a Forum for the SuperTen https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php But there are some right to$$ers on there from the good old US of A but there are a few decent Brits on there too.

I usually do 20,000 miles a year, mostly commuting. This working from home 3-4 days out of 5 means my mileage on the XT since getting it in September is only about 3,000 miles. I've added a few bits and pieces to make it more suited for its job, crash bars, risers, fork seal protectors, power lead for a heated vest, GPS mount and heated grips. It is a nice feeling not having to oil the chain after a long ride home from work in the piddling rain.
20201201_104028cr.jpg.44d9585974b08d962e4b9d60f9e4c274.jpg

Ah you know you'll be missing your XRV Yen! :)

Joking. Great looking bike there, mate. Hope it serves you well.

Ah you know you'll be missing your XRV Yen! :)

Joking. Great looking bike there, mate. Hope it serves you well.

Sold my last XRV as a non runner, after it sitting in my garage since 2010, so I would have room for the XT12 and a bike bench. There was a picture on FB about 8 weeks ago and the bike looked familiar, I actually recognised the aftermarket hooter. It was the son of the new owner riding it in some woods. They got it starting but it's not running smoothly yet he said.

Sold my last XRV as a non runner, after it sitting in my garage since 2010, so I would have room for the XT12 and a bike bench. There was a picture on FB about 8 weeks ago and the bike looked familiar, I actually recognised the aftermarket hooter. It was the son of the new owner riding it in some woods. They got it starting but it's not running smoothly yet he said.

i know. I saw your thread on XRV. :) I thought the guy got a bargain at the time. Loads of spares you had have made that a really good deal.
hope you enjoy the XT12, Yen.

Great to see a Versys with over 100K miles on it. Did you have any major issues with it?

No problems really. Had the starter button failing to spin the engine one day at work, I knew it was most probably a loose wire, but electrics aren't my strong point so I decided not to try and trace the problem. Because the engine was still quite warm from a trip earlier I started it using a nearby slope and 2nd gear and rode the 50 miles home without stopping. My local bike place traced the problem to a wire that had rubbed through on a sharp edge and they just rejoined it and put some padding in to stop it happening again. And that was my only proper problem, everything else was fine.

No problems really. Had the starter button failing to spin the engine one day at work, I knew it was most probably a loose wire, but electrics aren't my strong point so I decided not to try and trace the problem. Because the engine was still quite warm from a trip earlier I started it using a nearby slope and 2nd gear and rode the 50 miles home without stopping. My local bike place traced the problem to a wire that had rubbed through on a sharp edge and they just rejoined it and put some padding in to stop it happening again. And that was my only proper problem, everything else was fine.

That is a great advert for Versys bikes. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom