Use TFT to control music using phone headphones?

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have connected my phone to the TFT but when I select ‘Media’ on the TFT it is greyed out. It does prompt with a message on the TFT “No headset connected”. This of course is correct as I simply want to play music using my phone with its wired headphones and use the TFT to select which music.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Glenn

Hi sorry but no it’s not also same with Nav if you have one

Welcome to the joy of BMW "open" integration - do it the way the Germans tell you to, or have the tft as an expensive ornament on the front of your bike. One of the reasons I went elsewhere - got fed up with BMW telling you what you can and cannot do.

Pretty sure it's not as you'd need the TFT + Wonderwheel to act as a bluetooth input device for the phone. One way you can do this at the moment is by using a WunderLINQ but someone may be along in a moment with an alternative :D

OK, so I’m thinking why logically ‘which the Germans are usually very good at’, can you not just Bluetooth your phone to the TFT and with your phone in your inside jacket pocket and ear phones in the phone jack plug play music. This set-up means you don’t need Bluetooth earphones or an intercom.

This seems a simple set-up. Surely I don’t need to go and buy a Bluetooth intercom/headset?

Thanks
Glenn

OK my understanding is that the TFT acts as a hub, connecting BT devices to each other (similar to the way some BT helmets act). You need a device to act as an input device for your phone which the TFT currently doesn't - it could presumably be programmed to do that (like the WunderLINQ) to relay commands from the wonderwheel but I suspect there isn't the demand to do that to make it worth investing the €€€s. It would only be a minority of people who'd want to use a ear phone attached to a phone with a cable as many modern phones don't even have headphone jacks and also to avoid the cable spaghetti. Most people use BT headsets with their phones, and most on bikes would likely go for BT kit attached to their helmets.

EDIT: it's worth noting that Sena at least have solved a similar problem for their comms kit by having a BT remote control which can be attached to the bars and acts as an input device. Perhaps worth seeing if there's something similar for your phone, or even contacting Sena to see if their kit can be used with other BT devices?

OK my understanding is that the TFT acts as a hub, connecting BT devices to each other (similar to the way some BT helmets act). You need a device to act as an input device for your phone which the TFT currently doesn't - it could presumably be programmed to do that (like the WunderLINQ) to relay commands from the wonderwheel but I suspect there isn't the demand to do that to make it worth investing the €€€s. It would only be a minority of people who'd want to use a ear phone attached to a phone with a cable as many modern phones don't even have headphone jacks and also to avoid the cable spaghetti. Most people use BT headsets with their phones, and most on bikes would likely go for BT kit attached to their helmets.

EDIT: it's worth noting that Sena at least have solved a similar problem for their comms kit by having a BT remote control which can be attached to the bars and acts as an input device. Perhaps worth seeing if there's something similar for your phone, or even contacting Sena to see if their kit can be used with other BT devices?

Thanks for that explanation - appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom