Luxembourg - A possible nice three day jaunt

Wapping

Reaction score
Courtesy of Motorrad & Reisen magazine, edition 80, available via Readly.

9c83b4e1ce089ff625ce95b857e27f05.plist

3c0d82c00cc6677dbae7a134faad50c0.plist

b144fde852068ab3145b0214085093a0.plist

Day one begins and ends in Remich

Day two begins in Remich but ends in Clerf (Clervaux)

Day three begins in Clervaux but ends a little way north of Clervaux, in Leithum. Make your own choices as to what you want to do.

Download the GPS track at the magazine’s website, using the tour code. Here it is downloaded via an iPad and displayed in Pocket Earth Pro:

7397dbaf70421ab4cb3f82a743c0111f.png

My ex lived near Lux, I can confirm the biking roads are fantastic. I also found a load of green lanes, no idea if they were legal or not.

They do like their speed traps though so be careful......

My ex lived near Lux, I can confirm the biking roads are fantastic. I also found a load of green lanes, no idea if they were legal or not.

They do like their speed traps though so be careful......

Oh yes they do. I got done four times within an hour.

I love Luxembourg, some lovely scenery. Went over in the car in November last year and noticed lots of speed traps - seemed to be one on the way in and way out of some villages.

It seems like such a well kept and prosperous little place, and low duty on fuel, booze and fags makes it attractive as a place to spend a few days. It does feel a little sterile in places.

(It clearly hides its poverty very well, but it must be in bad shape financially because it is - by a HUGE margin - the largest net recipient of EU funds per capita. Good for plucky Luxembourg for struggling on.)

I can recommend the hotel listed in Remich - St Nicolas. Stayed there for 3 nights last year with a group of 10. Overlooking the Mosel to Germany and surrounded by good roads in all directions in multiple countries. Large garage for the bikes, an outdoor pool and an honesty "bar" which is just a large fridge full of Diekirch beer.

No evening restaurant but plenty of choice in the village.

https://goo.gl/maps/pvJsCEBGAdiiJPFXA - the chap wearing the tie is stood in front of the entrance to the garage at St Nic. He seems to have the same build as the hotel owner. Within the garage is a screened area with some rather nice looking cars hidden away.

Head towards and past the bridge over the Mosel and you have various places to get ice cream, a snack or 3 course dinner.

Head up the hill, away from the river, there is even a McDonalds for the discerning diner or, when it is 43C, an air conditioned wifi lounge for my Scottish mate in June 2019 when they had a heatwave.

No shortage of fuel stations in Remich as I remember! All catering for Germans hopping over the border (such as it is) for cheaper fuel.

Lovely ride along the Mosel too...:okay

No shortage of fuel stations in Remich as I remember! All catering for Germans hopping over the border (such as it is) for cheaper fuel.

Lovely ride along the Mosel too...:okay

cheap baccy in the same petrol stations as well. I dont smoke but used to bring it back for my mate.....

I think Remich had 5 or 6 and its a village......

It also has a bit of the Berlin wall......

The map has the names of some places in German rather than French (understandably as it's a German publication. "Clerf" = Clervaux. Esch-sur-Sure becomes Esch-Sauer. Etc.

Clervaux has a nice chateau. Unless you have a particular interest in tedious black and white photography, do NOT be tempted to visit "The Family of Man" exhibition. Just throw 10 Euros into the river and save yourself an hour of boredom.

I was going to say if you fancy a bit of a detour and want to take in the military cemetery on the way, have a run out to Saarloius

You can go down the Bahn for a hoon but the road has a nice mix of roads out from Remich (just watch the unmarked plod that now reside in the old

border crossing buildings ) They like to follow you down to the Bahn and pounce when you get very overenthusiastic in the wrong areas)

Anyway Saarloius old town is built within the remains of the old fortress, with a lot of varied eateries housed in each arch of the original casements

some nice hotels, bars & restaurants dotted round the town square as well

Unfortunately you cant get a street view in Germany at the mo, so overhead is the only way you can see the place

I used to work there and it was once perfectly described as ..

If you were to build a model railway it would have a small airport, impressive gorges impressive bridges a small town square and some Beautiful old houses. Oh, and small train.

So if flying over Europe and wondering where you are, you can now identify Luxembourg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember flying in to Lux one Monday morning,

only for the captain to announce we would have to do a "go around" as they were still clearing a small snow flurry from the runway

Small, my arse, a foot and a feckin half of snow !

My trip to Saarlous - normally a couple of hours 6 hrs ! and then i had to go back to Lux to pick up another guy who came out on a later flight

a very long feckin day!!!

Update on the Hotel Saint Nicolas & Spa.

Lucien Houdremont, his family and his entire team would like to inform you that the Hotel Saint Nicolas & Spa is closing its doors definitively on November 30, 2022.

Update on the Hotel Saint Nicolas & Spa

Lucien Houdremont, his family and his entire team would like to inform you that the Hotel Saint Nicolas & Spa is closing its doors definitively on November 30, 2022.

Thanks for the heads-up.

If nobody takes the hotel over, I guess that bods will have to find alternatives. The good news is that there are plenty, strung out along (or close to) the routes.

I can recommend a really good restaurant with a jolly decent small hotel above it -

http://castelloborghese.lu/l-hotel.html

I've stayed there several times over the years and it has alway been great. According to the website it has been recently refurbished. Secure bike parking available and a sister hotel a short distance away offering similar product in the event that Borghese is full

Senningerberg is not too far from Luxembourg Airport and a short free bus ride into the city.

Update on the Hotel Saint Nicolas & Spa.

shame, good place - that's 2 of my recommended, independent hotels closed now - other was L'Abbaye in Beaulieu en Argonne

Back
Top Bottom