R1100GS fuel filter replacement..

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I just remove the plate from the tank and remove the filter that way without disconnecting all the hoses..?also how much fuel can be left in the tank whilst the filter is changed..? mine has 2 bars on the fuel gauge..cheers

I did a write up for someone recently on doing this

I will try and find it You need to have a good look at the U bend hose for dosing

Can I just remove the plate from the tank and remove the filter that way without disconnecting all the hoses..?also how much fuel can be left in the tank whilst the filter is changed..? mine has 2 bars on the fuel gauge..cheers

Yes.

If you sit the tank upright in it's end and keep it there while doing the work then you might just get away with having two bars. I have a seat i sit on and keep the tank on it's end between my knees with the tools needed at the side, takes about 5 minutes to change, blob of grease at every 120 degrees in the large fuel O ring recess in the fuel tank to keep the O ring in place as you refit the fuel housing. Jobs a carrot.

Yes.

If you sit the tank upright in it's end and keep it there while doing the work then you might just get away with having two bars. I have a seat i sit on and keep the tank on it's end between my knees with the tools needed at the side, takes about 5 minutes to change, blob of grease at every 120 degrees in the large fuel O ring recess in the fuel tank to keep the O ring in place as you refit the fuel housing. Jobs a carrot.

That quick n easy to do.? jeez I had visions of it being a right pain ..I'll probably syphon out some more petrol ..dunno how much is 2bars but Ive spare gallon petrol cans so will jus syphon out a couple of gallon if thats whats left ..cheers

Ive got all hose clamps and U bend an access plate O ring inc filter ..cheers

Careful with those studs if they are not clean you can shear off a stud and when you lift the plate off don;t forget that you have those two skinny pipes to take off inside before you can get it out at all

I use an old car tyre on my B^D workmate with a towel thrown over the tyre and the fuel tank balanced across the opening

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...pump-problem?p=5811655&viewfull=1#post5811655

Ive got all hose clamps and U bend an access plate O ring inc filter ..cheers

If you intend fitting the access plate O ring you’ll have to disconnect all the hoses. I’ve only ever had to replace one (due to previous damage) when doing a filter change since the 1100 models first came out in 1994.

don;t forget that you have those two skinny pipes to take off inside before you can get it out at all

Oh no you don’t if you’re only changing the filter. It all comes out and there’s enough slack to change the filter.

Filter and U bend hose changed with new hose clamps..piece o piss dunno what I was worrying about ..seems old filter was changed in 2013 according to the date on it ..tho the U bend wasnt as it still had an old crimp on connecter on one side and a hose clamp on the filter side ,hose felt soft n squidgy probably on its way out an collapsing internally... cheers folks for the help n advice :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom