Front suspension upgrades

Foxracer

Reaction score
So I'm planning to get the suspension upgraded on my Xmoto. I know there are a few rear shock options available, but how many people have done anything with the front?

I'm looking at getting the springs switched, oil changed, but I don't think there is much else that can be done.

Depends on what you're not happy with now.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy, I just want to improve it. My Xmoto is a bit of a project bike and I'm hoping to upgrade it where I can! ☺️

A common one is a set of progressive fork springs from hyperpro. That alone doesn't sort the valving out though. In OE spec, one fork does compression, the other rebound. It works for most, but you can find its limits.

Yeah that's what I'm planning, taking the bike to FTR.

I read you can swap the internals from another set of Marzocchi forks but they're pretty much impossible to find!

Don’t know how similar the X Moto is to the Husky Terra/Strada but I (ie Mikeyboy) replaced my forks with resprung YZ426 forks sourced from eBay (plenty of info on Cafe Husky). Great improvement!

If you can find Marzochi shiver forks, or just the internals, that's a big improvement.

Yeah I have been looking for a set of those, but they don't seem that common!

I also saw that Emig Racing do a fork conversion kit for the XChallenge to use KTM WP 48mm forks, but my understanding is that the spacing and rotor size on the XMoto are different so it wouldn't be a straight swap. I've emailed to see I they can/would do a version for the XMoto!

I have Shiver forks on my long ranger, she is an X Challenge fitted with X Country wheels for mostly road use on Mitas Terra Force, but I have sourced a set of Challenge wheels as well, fitted with MT21s. The steering geometry has changed a bit, but you soon get used to it.

Attachments

• DSCN9992.jpg
    DSCN9992.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 302
I've decided to just do whatever can be done with the standard forks for now, and getting the rear shock changed for a fancy Ohlins one. I'll see what it's like after that and whether I want to go any further with swapping forks and things.

I've decided to just do whatever can be done with the standard forks for now, and getting the rear shock changed for a fancy Ohlins one. I'll see what it's like after that and whether I want to go any further with swapping forks and things.

Standard legs with modified valving and springs will make a big difference.

I have Shiver forks on my long ranger, she is an X Challenge fitted with X Country wheels for mostly road use on Mitas Terra Force, but I have sourced a set of Challenge wheels as well, fitted with MT21s. The steering geometry has changed a bit, but you soon get used to it.

The bike was built with 21” front 18 “ rear.
I built the forks for it
They were shivers off a 450 mx bike,
The xchallenge lower fork castings were then machined to fit the marzzochi legs.
Memory is fading after a few years ,but I recall either the yokes were machined or poss the upper fork legs turned to match
This kept the standard yokes,and allowed the oem wheel/ spindle etc to be retained.
Once the bike was finished,the owner rode to Holland to visit hyperpro where BAZ set the whole bike up with a bespoke shock,with remote preload and reservoir,

Back
Top Bottom