Migrating data from an older NAS to a new NAS ?

Walowiz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
finally getting round to migrating from my trusty ReadyNas Duo to a Synology DS916+. Nothing wrong with the ReadyNAS, just thought I'd move things up a bit.

I need to move all the data and be able to confirm that its all moved.

Calling on the far corners of my memory - I'm sure I've used rsync from a command line, to copy from all the separate file stores and the SC101 to the ReadyNas .

But all things tech have moved on hugely since I last had to do this.

Does anyone know of (and have used successfully :) ) any utilities to migrate data from one NAS to another ?

if I was moving from an odler Synology to a newer model - then I'm sure would be a breeze.

Last edited:
If you're on a Mac you can use Chronosync (IIRC it's free) which is basically a nice easy front end to rsync.

Mount both volumes on your mac and create a Chronosync job and there you go.

Or you can use rsync from the command line, it's not too hard.

Chronosync/rsync recovers nicely from interrupted transfers in a way that copy/paste sometimes doesn't

If you’re using windows use robocopy in a simple 1 line .bat file

It’s got plenty of switches to do different things if you want or it can be used In it’s simplest form just to duplicate your entire directory structure and files - ie robocopy d:\ e:\
You can include or exclude empty folders for example or file types, sizes, dates and a shit load of other stuff
It can produce a log file of what was copied or skipped

The help file explains all the possible functions

I’ve used it professionally for many years

How much data are we talking about?

About 3tb, the number of files was the concern - as there are 000’s of work files there. And I wanted to use a function that I could monitor the transfer and be able to deal with any interruptions / breaks in connection.

If you’re using windows use robocopy in a simple 1 line .bat file

It’s got plenty of switches to do different things if you want or it can be used In it’s simplest form just to duplicate your entire directory structure and files - ie robocopy d:\ e:\
You can include or exclude empty folders for example or file types, sizes, dates and a shit load of other stuff
It can produce a log file of what was copied or skipped

The help file explains all the possible functions

I’ve used it professionally for many years

Cheers - I do recall robocopy from somewhere, never used it and it didn’t come up from my searches. Will give it a test and report back.

If you're on a Mac you can use Chronosync (IIRC it's free) which is basically a nice easy front end to rsync.

Mount both volumes on your mac and create a Chronosync job and there you go.

Or you can use rsync from the command line, it's not too hard.

Chronosync/rsync recovers nicely from interrupted transfers in a way that copy/paste sometimes doesn't

Windows only, the Mac backup is being handled separately and then transferred to the new NAS.

For 3tb I’d use copy and paste then check properties for number of files on both systems. You could sample any files copied to check validity once finished.
If your worried about copy corruption you may need to do research into a bit for bit file comparison software.

About 3tb, the number of files was the concern - as there are 000’s of work files there. And I wanted to use a function that I could monitor the transfer and be able to deal with any interruptions / breaks in connection.

Robocopy has a switch for restartable mode, if your copy stops through connection problems it will restart the copy from where it was up to, especially useful for large files
If you use this switch it’s best to tell it how many times to retry the same file and how long to wait between each retry in seconds
This would look something like /z /r:3 /w:3

Robocopy has a switch for restartable mode, if your copy stops through connection problems it will restart the copy from where it was up to, especially useful for large files
If you use this switch it’s best to tell it how many times to retry the same file and how long to wait between each retry in seconds
This would look something like /z /r:3 /w:3

Thanks will try that.

Thanks will try that.

If ever you’re in doubt use the log switch eg. /log:d:\myfiles.log and test by using the the list switch /l which will create the log file but without actually copying anything or changing time stamps or security etc.
When your .bat does exactly what you want you can just remove the /l switch

Be extremely careful if you use /mir or /purge as they can both delete files, even from the source directory!

Might also be worth considering what sort of connection you'll be using to do the transfer; 3TB is going to take a *long* time on a 10/100 connection (3+ days minimum) vs < 8 hrs on a 1Gbit. Do you have gigabit connections both ends?

Might also be worth considering what sort of connection you'll be using to do the transfer; 3TB is going to take a *long* time on a 10/100 connection (3+ days minimum) vs < 8 hrs on a 1Gbit. Do you have gigabit connections both ends?

Yes, 1 gigabit both ends and everything connected direct to the patching cabinet in the loft :thumb

Though it doesn’t bother me if it takes all weekend, there’s no rush on this, I just need to make sure it’s all copied across correctly with no file corruption and that I don’t have to baby it while it does the transfer.

Yes, 1 gigabit both ends and everything connected direct to the patching cabinet in the loft :thumb

Though it doesn’t bother me if it takes all weekend, there’s no rush on this, I just need to make sure it’s all copied across correctly with no file corruption and that I don’t have to baby it while it does the transfer.

This will do it, also includes empty folders, just use your actual drive letters and add source and destination directions if needed
The /l is Just to test it before starting to copy for real

robocopy d:\ e:\ /l /e /z /r:3 /w:3 /np /tee /log:e:\filescopied.log

Given the critical contents of your data your actually looking for something that will do hash and file cheaking as well as the copy procedure , the whole of which is going to take somewhat of a longer timescale i.e. https://www.codesector.com/teracopy

Back
Top Bottom